H260 Boat Covers

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Hi all. Interesting times.

We have opted out of our slip this season primarily due to: its shortness (this is the first week boats can go in and the lake drops at the end of Aug); lack of restroom facilities; and (the big one) cannot overnight at this time - at all.

Last is a deal breaker - due to the mountain/valley pressure change we have constant morning breezes between 6am and 9:30am. I can usually camp, sail for 2 hours and be at work by 10am. (However - I digress).

Thinking about applying the slip fee saved this season towards a storage cover. Only thing I have seen (on line) is the Sailortailor cover. Any other options out there?

Appreciate it. JT

PS: Off the grid until 6/12 so it will be a slow reply.

6 solo days on Cascade Resv. last week.

1591033303806.png

Day 1 launch: first day of the year. Note snow squall - fenders down - too slow - got spanked a bit before I got in.

1591033518220.png

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Mast up or down? Probably not what you are looking for, but I copied this 260 cover for my 240- mast down with PVC frame attached to stanchions to raise the tarp high enough to avoid water pooling on the cover. Works pretty well-

Nov 18, 2016
Cave,

Thanks! Saw that - a possibility. Definitely mast down.

A bit concerned with our winter winds I could lose the whole thing - not around the boat during the off season. This is the sailortailor cover.

1591045677805.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer, I bought and referred others to them as well. First and most important the cover is not draped over the mast. Secondly quality is good and price reasonable priced

Nov 18, 2016
Wow.... that is cool. Will it fit the 26?
Doubt it due to the sugar scoop stern. But they made this so a H26 would not be much different.

Looks pretty good but I'm always interested in alternatives. Watcha got?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
the only major difference to be concerned about is first the 26 except for a few were tiller and the other is the upgradded transom on the 260. Otherwise the same boat. calll and ask them as they have the specs

Nov 18, 2016
TTT

Just home - any other insights on a H260 cover?

Appreciate it.

JT

Nov 18, 2016
Hi Dave,

Essentially a full boat storage cover for a H260. Does not need to be over the mast. My thought is that my savings paying for open storage would cover the cost or a cover in 3 seasons. Usually trail for 1-2 extended cruises/year w/o a cover.

We get very little snow here in the Treasure Valley, but sun and wind are big issues. Go through blue tarps & bungees like eating popcorn. Hard to keep on, need to monitor and the boat is covered with blown in ag dirt every spring. All wood requires upkeep yearly. Cabin boards and rear pedestal seat inlays get hammered. Dirt works its way into the cabin.

Love the looks of this but wondering if any other options are available.

1591978186745.png

Thanks for all your efforts here - very much appreciated. Your input on the H26/260 design resulted in a boat which makes us VERY happy. Incredibly versatile with maximum live aboard space. Trade off of high freeboard and lack of sail controls is fine - have beachcats to satisfy the need for speed although the H260 does well when I pay attention. Love stepping off the stern onto a beach.

Social distancing on Lake Cascade last month.

1591978083014.png

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That looks like a lot of fun.

When I was in the mountains of Virginia, my issue was the spring pollen and not ag. dirg. It got everywhere and if you didn't clean it off quick enough, it turned into this hard black coating that required serious scrubbing.

Nov 18, 2016
Understand that - at least our dirt cleans up.

Two seasons ago we had a brush fire on the far side of the ridge above our little marina (Spring Shores @ Lucky Peak, ID). All the boats got hit with fire retardant during the plane and chopper drops. PIA to scrub clean but the reality of western living.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Any cover needs to be elevated up to allow deflected water to roll off without pooling. In wintertime with snow, even a high degree of elevating steeply slope to allow or deter snow from accumulating on cover. If using the mast when down to throw a cover over, I have replaced severely bent masts as a result unless supported a lot underneath but I am not a proponent of that.

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
Check out Ship Shape Products. They are out of Duluth MN so they know how to handle snow. Several of out club owners with H26 and H260s have them.