H26 Stereo Installation

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I replaced the old stereo that came with my recently acquired 94' H26. Before installing it I considered possible new/better locations. I decided the same location would work best for me. In doing so I was able to re-use the old screw holes, except this time I thru bolted the mounting bracket. This location is tucked into the space and does not get in the way of getting in/out of the aft berth. As with most newer units, this one came with a wireless remote and Bluetooth. I used an enclosure unit and was able to hide the wires somewhat providing a cleaner look. The enclosure with it's front cover will help protect the stereo face better being slightly above the galley stove.

20160220_080300.jpg 20160220_080342.jpg 20160220_080434.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks for sharing pics.... do you have any of the speakers and how/where you mounted them?

Are the speakers internal or out in the cockpit?

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Thanks for sharing pics.... do you have any of the speakers and how/where you mounted them?

Are the speakers internal or out in the cockpit?
Yes, I got some new speakers when I bought the new stereo. I installed them in the same location the originals were in, sounds real good there. I'm happy with that location, plus I hate to leave behind screw holes from equipment that is no longer there. I plan to replace that wood paneling and will hide the wires behind. I'm all about hiding wires and hoses if possible. I have the old speakers that sound nice too, I'll likely install them in the aft berth area, haven't decided where yet, but the wiring is already in place. I listened to music with all four speakers, the two just sitting in front of the aft compartment, provides a nice full sound, as apposed to just having the two forward over the v-berth.

I also have some small exterior speakers I will mount in the cockpit under the coaming seats. But I will mount them in such a way I can remove and stow them when not in use. I had them on my Macgregor 26S, they're pretty good for the cockpit. I'll install an A/B/Both switch for those speakers.

20160220_100236.jpg 20160220_100411.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
My H26 v-berth looks like this...I have some very nice fans installed ... there is also a fan in the aft-berth. I'm not sure what the brand is but they are very quite and I think will be of big comfort this summer.

My new-2-me H26 also came with an AC unit that fits in the forward hatch for when I have shore power available. The P.O. said the AC is almost too much and he has been able to cool the cabin to 60 deg. on a hot 90+ summer day. That was the final selling point. Seems like every time (except one time) I've manage to badger my wife to go on a cruise with me and the kids... the evening on the hook consisted of a windless night in 90's ... too hot to close up the boat so we had to wrap ourselves in mosquito netting. Twice we got hit with thunder storms and I just went up on the deck and slept in the rain because that was actually more comfortable.

Every time it is just me and the kids... perfect weather.

Then back up plan will be to have a list of phone numbers for nearby marinas and if the evening on the hook is looking like another sweat-box... I'll get a transient slip and plug in the AC :) ... with luck I will get my lady hooked on cruising. She already likes the day sail, just not the miserable night.

v-berth.png

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Your boat looks real nice, I like those fans! I will probably add those to my list.
Here in San Diego we usually don't get the sweltering nights, although last summer we did. I hope it was just due to El Nino, and this is not to be expected every year due to climate change.

Jan 19, 2010
I have not had a chance to use the fans but in my Balboa 26 I had two 12V auto fans (Walmart) that really helped A LOT. But they were a lot noisier than these so I'm looking forward to using them.

The solar panel on the mast crutch project is going to be one of my next... I need to find a good mount. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Jan 19, 2010
Is that cabinetry something you added? I don't have anything like that on my boat.

galley.jpg

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Is that cabinetry something you added? I don't have anything like that on my boat.

View attachment 119901
Doug,
As far as I know is that cabinet stock, but my boat is a H260, didn't know that the H26 is not equipped with it. You asked also about the location of the speakers; Here where I put them. Two in the cabin (front, under the bench, right and left) and two in the cockpit. Also I use an additional installed radio remote at the helm, since the usual infra remote just work in straight line to the stereo.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the pics.

I have tiller steering but I think yours look good where they are.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yeah, that cabinet is only in the 260's, I wish the H26 had that. I've been frustrated with the lack of conduit on the H26. I think the 260 has better provisions in that regard too. I've heard Hunter listened to customer suggestions on how to make improvements, and that's how the 260 came into existence.
Don't get me wrong, I love my H26. I just have work to do to make it the way I want it, but I enjoy doing it. Also, I believe I spent a whole lot less $$$ than I would have if I got a 260. Heck, it's a big step up from my previous boat, a Macgregor 26S, but I loved that boat too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hey Doug... I almost bought a Mac 26D in my last round of boat shopping. But I went with the Balboa 26 instead. At that time I traded up in size from a Mac V222. I had traded down from a Coronado 25 because I missed having a trailerable boat. The balboa is "trailerable" but just barely. She is one big 26' boat and hard to launch. I've only sailed my H26 a few times and the water ballast thing takes some getting used to but I'm getting the hang of it... I have to work a bit harder to keep the boat flat but all in all I'm very happy with my H26. The cabin has so much more room and the cockpit is a lot more agreeable for a larger crew.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I've only sailed my H26 a few times and the water ballast thing takes some getting used to but I'm getting the hang of it... I have to work a bit harder to keep the boat flat but all in all I'm very happy with my H26. The cabin has so much more room and the cockpit is a lot more agreeable for a larger crew.
I'm hopeful I can get mine out pretty soon. Next weekend activity planned is camping in a couple weeks. After that I should be good to go. I'm ashamed I haven't even splashed her yet. Got it last May. But in my defense I completely rebuilt the trailer which took time and money. Then I rebuilt the rudder assembly. Then electrical stuff and deck pump out head and more

I'll likely realize more projects when I sail her. So anyway... I can't comment yet on the feel of the H26 with it's water ballast, I'm sure it's different from what you're accustomed to. I expect it to behave somewhat similar to the Macgregors. Once you reach a certain heel it will stiffen up. You shouldn't have to work hard to keep it flat. If you get too much heel it should round up. At least that's what my MAC did. You'll get used to it. In my mind for trailerability there's nothing like leaving 2000 pounds of ballast at the launch ramp.

Jan 19, 2010
... You shouldn't have to work hard to keep it flat. If you get too much heel it should round up. At least that's what my MAC did. You'll get used to it. ...
Well here is what I've figured out already. On my H26 I have a vang but no traveler. All of my previous boats have had a traveler and although my Balboa does have a vang, I only set it up if I'm going to be on a long run. The first time I took her out, she heeled a lot in 6 to 8 mph breeze and I was already thinking I needed to replace the main. The sail shape was off. The pocket seemed to be in the wrong place and there were a lot of slanting wrinkles in the sail. However I soon realized the vang was cinched up rather tight and when I let that out, she behaved much better. I'm sure people who race already knew this but the boat likes the vang tight on a run but you need to loosen it on a reach or when pointing. I also learned that at about 10 mph you need to put a reef in the main. You CAN keep her on her feet but she will actually sail faster with a reef and better sail angle than if you leave the main all the way up. On the other hand, if I manually pull the boom over to windward by grabbing the end of the boom, I can keep her on her feet a bit better and she really picks up speed. So...

I've been exploring options to put a traveler in this boat and have had several great suggestions from this forum. If you are interested in that thread, I can try and find it for you. I am certain that a traveler would allow the H26 sail a lot flatter and faster in a stiffer breeze before you had to reef.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Good information! I will keep all in mind when I sail mine. And by all means, please point me in the right direction for the traveler thread. I had a 5 foot traveler on my MAC26S.

Jan 19, 2010
BTW:

I just sent an inquiry to Defender for a new VHF + flush mounting kit and antennae. I'll be borrowing some ideas from your stereo install.

Hope you get in the water soon.

r