H26 Rudder

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Is the rudder on a 1998 H26 solid and can I drill into it? My boat is in a slip and I like to lift the rudder out of the water to keep it clean. It cannot be fully raised using the line on the top of the rudder so I would like to attach a small stainless line about halfway down to make raising it an easy job. Yeah, there will be a tiny bit of drag, but if I keep hanging off the back of the boat trying to get a noose around the rudder I'll eventually fall in so it's worth it.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
CaptainRan, don't know if you already took care of this but here is a mod I posted. In one of the pics you can see the SS shackle installed in a hole drilled through the rudder. You should be able to get a good idea from the pic for the placement.
Hunter 26 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
CaptainRan, don't know if you already took care of this but here is a mod I posted. In one of the pics you can see the SS shackle installed in a hole drilled through the rudder. You should be able to get a good idea from the pic for the placement.
Hunter 26 Owner Modifications and Upgrades
I rigged something ugly and temporary. Before you put the ss shackle in did you apply anything to seal or protect the foam center of the rudder.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
That mod was there when I purchased the boat. Seems like the rudder is pretty solid in that area.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
That mod was there when I purchased the boat. Seems like the rudder is pretty solid in that area.
That makes sense, actually, that it would be solid near the trailing edge. Ok, I'm gonna drill it.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Worse case scenario, if you find foam or it looks weak, you can oversize the hole and fill with epoxy, then re-drill smaller hole. But I think that area is solid.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
WOW! No, I've got nothing like that. But I will soon. I will likely add an extra block or sheave somewhere for a 3:1 purchase because, why not? Thank you for the file, that's great.