H26 Reef configuration

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I heard Lake Mead is challenging due to the rapid changes in wind speed & direction. Went from 0.8 to 3.9 kts in about 20 secs on Tue. Now I must get serious about reefong. On my H26, the rear reef line runs thru the boom forward, exiting the bottom of the boom. The fwd reef cringles are empty, there is a gooseneck. Is this how the boat was rigged new? If so, why configure a reef point I can set with one hand to the mast where I can't reach it? Does anyone have advice for setting up reefing from the cockpit?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Why, you ask. Not sure of your exact configuration but it sounds pretty typical, original, and like mine in an old H33. At the mast you have your halyards, your topping lift, your cringles and hooks, and your reef-line. All of these lines and devices must be manipulated when reefing and they are all in the same place at the mast. If some of these lines are presently led back to the cockpit on your boat then, yes, all of the reefing controls should be in the cockpit as well. Others here with such a setup should be able to make suggestions for you.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Why, you ask. Not sure of your exact configuration but it sounds pretty typical, original, and like mine in an old H33. At the mast you have your halyards, your topping lift, your cringles and hooks, and your reef-line. All of these lines and devices must be manipulated when reefing and they are all in the same place at the mast. If some of these lines are presently led back to the cockpit on your boat then, yes, all of the reefing controls should be in the cockpit as well. Others here with such a setup should be able to make suggestions for you.
I have a boomkicker, which supports the boom so I don't use the topping lift. The main halyard leads to the cockpit and since there is no winch on the boom I assume it was designed that way.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was the one who was involved from day one.. The rigging configuration is the same as the 26 and 260. Go to the upper left and you will see three horizontal bars. press on that and scroll down to boat information. Then go to Hunter resources/ 26 or 260 and look under for those two boats as there are others in the manual. There you will find a trove of information

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I was the one who was involved from day one.. The rigging configuration is the same as the 26 and 260. Go to the upper left and you will see three horizontal bars. press on that and scroll down to boat information. Then go to Hunter resources/ 26 or 260 and look under for those two boats as there are others in the manual. There you will find a trove of information
Great info, I had not found that before. These H26 folks sure like to cut the table. I'm hip, I keep mine spun around and resting on the forwatd berth

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to reef in 3.9 kts of wind. Or why going from .8kts to 3.9 kts is cause for alarm...

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to reef in 3.9 kts of wind. Or why going from .8kts to 3.9 kts is cause for alarm...
I think there is some autocorrect challenges going on . I don’t understand the majority of it.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Sorry, my post was misleading, I'll clarify. It wasn't the wind speed that increased from 0.8 to 3.9 kts it was the boat speed. My point was that the wind quadrupled+ the boat's speed in a very short time. If similar rates of change happen at higher wind speeds, I 'll likely need to continually change reefs and I don't wish to climb to the mast every time. More to the original point, does everyone reef from the mast?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
More to the original point, does everyone reef from the mast?
It is quite common for small boat sailors to set up reefing lines that lead aft to the cockpit to avoid going to the mast.
You can choose a double line system, which is easier to secure... or a single line system, which keeps the deck and cockpit a little less cluttered. One version of each method is pictured below. There are variations for each that you may want to research yourself. Just enter a search for "single" or "double" line jiffy reefing systems.

If conditions are gusty... rather than steadily building... I think I would handle them by playing the traveler. Keep it uncleated in your hand, when the boat starts heeling, ease it down till she's back upright... then as boat speed increases you can trim it back in as the apparent wind moves forward again. Using the traveler, instead of the mainsheet, allows you to keep the mainsail trim consistent. If the boat still feels overpowered after you've trimmed out the sails and kept your hand on the traveler, it's time to reef.

Dec 28, 2015
Sorry, my post was misleading, I'll clarify. It wasn't the wind speed that increased from 0.8 to 3.9 kts it was the boat speed. My point was that the wind quadrupled+ the boat's speed in a very short time. If similar rates of change happen at higher wind speeds, I 'll likely need to continually change reefs and I don't wish to climb to the mast every time. More to the original point, does everyone reef from the mast?
What wind speeds are you considering needing to reef? Boat speed shouldn’t be a factor unless you are on significant following seas which I’m thinking this isn’t the case. For example I’ll put my first reef in my H30 at around 18-22 then the second 25 and up dependent on different factors but that is my primary numbers I go with. Passenger comfort and single handed, I’ll go with lower numbers

Last edited:

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I usually reef at about 10 from the mast sailing lake Havasu and lake Powell can get ugly real fast. If I know it’s going to be gusty I use reefed main only (H26)

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
It is quite common for small boat sailors to set up reefing lines that lead aft to the cockpit to avoid going to the mast.
Thanks Joe, and thanks for the diagram. I would lean towards a double line system as I think it would be easier to haul on and more reliable. I find it interesting that the leech reef line leads all the way forward then all the way back to the cockpit. Am I simple to consider installing a cleat on the mast below and aft of the reef point, eliminating the need for a long line and several blocks? Fewer lines leading from the boom to the boat is an advantage when stowing the boom for trailering as well.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I usually reef at about 10 from the mast sailing lake Havasu and lake Powell can get ugly real fast. If I know it’s going to be gusty I use reefed main only (H26)
Thanks, Jimmy, I've only sailed this boat 3 times and 10 sounds like a good number. I bought this boat from a guy at lake Powell in October, the 'At Last' (H26). It was kept trailered there in the private marina.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
What wind speeds are you considering needing to reef? Boat speed shouldn’t be a factor unless you are on significant following seas which I’m thinking this isn’t the case. For example I’ll put my first reef in my H30 at around 18-22 then the second 25 and up dependent on different factors but that is my primary numbers I go with. Passenger comfort and single handed, I’ll go with lower numbers
Jimmy suggested 10 kts and that is probably a safe number. The H26 is mostly main with a small jib and feels to me like it heels very readily. Of course it could be that I'm more used to a bigger, heavier boat (Newport 30) in Santa Monica bay, where winds are much more consistent.

Dec 28, 2015
All boats and situations are different. My numbers have gone up with my comfort level for sure. Safe is a relative term for sure, that being said 10 kts seems light for a 26ft boat but if the gusts are alot higher then absolutely. Lake wind is a lot different than in more open water. I sail a Laser on a lake and the gusts are all over the place. No reefing though on that one. The hiking strap and vang gets a work out.

You either have to have everything leading back or have a Autohelm when single handed sailing In my opinion. congrats on the new boat.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I'm more of a cruiser than a racer and mostly a solo sailor so I tend to reef early on my H26. I never use the first reef point. I'll tend to reef (2nd reef) at the dock if the wind is consistently above 8 kts. It's easier to shake out the reef underway rather that reefing. If I need to reef underway I'll use my tillerpilot. You'll notice on the H26 that if you that reefing above 10kts it will not typically lose you any speed and it will prevent you having to fight the boat the whole time. The H26 performs surprisingly well when reefed over 10kts. If your main is reefed don't forget to roll in (reef) your jib a bit to keep the boat balanced. In terms of my H26 configuration, the cringle is placed on the rams horn manually and the reefing line terminates at the mast step so I do need to go to the mast step for reefing.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I'm more of a cruiser than a racer and mostly a solo sailor so I tend to reef early on my H26. I never use the first reef point. I'll tend to reef (2nd reef) at the dock if the wind is consistently above 8 kts. It's easier to shake out the reef underway rather that reefing. If I need to reef underway I'll use my tillerpilot. You'll notice on the H26 that if you that reefing above 10kts it will not typically lose you any speed and it will prevent you having to fight the boat the whole time. The H26 performs surprisingly well when reefed over 10kts. If your main is reefed don't forget to roll in (reef) your jib a bit to keep the boat balanced. In terms of my H26 configuration, the cringle is placed on the rams horn manually and the reefing line terminates at the mast step so I do need to go to the mast step for reefing.
Reefing before leaving the dock is great advice, get a feel for the situation then shake out if applicable.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
We sail a lake in Colorado and the winds can change very fast. It is a very deep lake so our waves are not high. I reef when I see consistent white caps forming. We have been hit hard with out warning and have been impressed with how well this water ballast boat holds its own.
To speed up reefing I have marked my main halyard so I don't drop it to far and it helps. I do go to the mast to reef. Approaching 79 I might run some lines to the back for reefing one of these years. I also have reefed before heading out. We have had this boat about 10 years and do love it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Thanks Joe, and thanks for the diagram. I would lean towards a double line system as I think it would be easier to haul on and more reliable. I find it interesting that the leech reef line leads all the way forward then all the way back to the cockpit. Am I simple to consider installing a cleat on the mast below and aft of the reef point, eliminating the need for a long line and several blocks? Fewer lines leading from the boom to the boat is an advantage when stowing the boom for trailering as well.
You need leverage on the clew line.... that is accomplished by "sweating" the length that rests against the boom on its way forward... plus it allows you to accomplish everything from the mast position. If it goes aft you can use a winch. Tautness at the tack can be effected by adjusting halyard tension in either scenario.

But...You can rig it any way that suits you. I posted those examples of lines led aft based on your original question...
Does anyone have advice for setting up reefing from the cockpit?
The jiffy reef system on my 27 footer includes a clew line led forward to a "jam" horn cleat on the boom about a foot behind the gooseneck.... and... a "flying cringle" and ram's horn at the tack end. I have a mark on the halyard that allows me to set it before I leave the cockpit, then I walk to the mast and set the clew and tack... return to the cockpit to tidy up the halyard, vang and sheet. Takes about 30 seconds.

Last edited: