H26 Lack of Conduit

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I'm hoping by me posting some of my projects as I go along will help others who recently acquired an older H26 and are also going through the fixing and upgrading process.
I really enjoy seeing others post their projects allowing me to learn and get ideas from their experiences. For me it's half the fun. The other half of course is sailing. I have yet to splash my new-to-me H26, getting real close.

As I work on moving/upgrading/correcting the PO electronic accessory installations, I've realized at least with the 94' H26 that I have, there is a lack of conduit or ease of running wiring from the aft compartment to over the galley where the OEM switch panel is. The PO had a secondary switch panel mounted on the aft bulkhead, probably because it was too hard to do anything else. I want all control switches, minus the AC & DC mains, to be over the galley. I plan to upgrade the switch panel with a new BlueSea 13 position unit.

I tried very hard to get new/additional wires in the one conduit that is there running through the starboard coaming with no success. I tried to add an additional conduit through there with no success. I finally settled on running a new 3/4" conduit under the aft berth floor to the galley cabinet. From there I installed a short conduit exiting the top of the galley and entering the overhead.

The leftmost picture is in the aft compartment, centerline of the boat, where there is the most room below the aft berth liner.

20160220_083725.jpg 20160220_083756.jpg 20160220_083813.jpg 20160220_080409.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The leftmost picture is in the aft compartment, centerline of the boat, where there is the most room below the aft berth liner.
Doug

Again! Thanks for the pics. Looks like a quality installation. A stereo is nt something on my to-do list at the moment but I'll tuck this in the back of my mind for a potential future project and running conduit will probably be something I need to do when I install a VHF.

When you say "aft compartment" do you mean behind the rear berth bulkhead? I'm having a hard time picturing where that conduit starts from but if it is behind the aft bulkhead, that would be very close to the batteries and not a bad place to start the run.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Doug

Again! Thanks for the pics. Looks like a quality installation. A stereo is nt something on my to-do list at the moment but I'll tuck this in the back of my mind for a potential future project and running conduit will probably be something I need to do when I install a VHF.

When you say "aft compartment" do you mean behind the rear berth bulkhead? I'm having a hard time picturing where that conduit starts from but if it is behind the aft bulkhead, that would be very close to the batteries and not a bad place to start the run.
Yes, the aft compartment is behind the aft berth bulkhead, which I have temporarily removed. The conduit, not seen in the picture, comes through a hole I made right in the center, below that ridge that the bulkhead screws to.

20160218_175614.jpg