H26 Hole in mast cap

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
There is a small hole in the top of my mast. It appears to have been manufactured that way. I am guessing that a cable was meant to exit here. I just added a vhf antenne but I drilled a hole in the side of the mast for that. Should I plug it so water doesn't get in?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Depends on how you store it............hole facing up, down or sideways. Even if stored with the hole facing down, I would plug with a rubber plug from your local hardware store to keep dust and insects out.

1637506489362.png

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Depends on how you store it............hole facing up, down or sideways. Even if stored with the hole facing down, I would plug with a rubber plug from your local hardware store to keep dust and insects out.

View attachment 200346
I generally store it with the mast up :) I keep it in the marina in Lake Mead most of the time. Thank you for the advice.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I'd be more worried about hornets than water.
Funny you should mention that @rgranger, There is a 3" diameter hole near the foot of the mast, I assume where the original stepping mechanism went. I pulled an old wasp nest out of there, must've been 8 inches long. Someday I will bolt a plate over it also.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The photo was of the aft mast carrier I think. You are correct the three inch hole was for the mast raising that I designed

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
The photo was of the aft mast carrier I think. You are correct the three inch hole was for the mast raising that I designed
I have had this configuration since I bought the boat, I don't know what the original config was. There is a plate with a hole over the mast opening. The gin pole uses a bolt that goes left-to-right through the mast, so the hole on the front is not used. (Ignore the cable comong out of the hole, I am installing a vhf antenna)

Attachments