H26 Forestay Connection

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
On my H26 the previous owner had connected the forestay to the u-bolt at the bow. But I'm wondering if the correct place to connect it is to the tang. The reason I ask is because there is a small crack under the u-bolt. Is the u-bolt intended to be used for a spinnaker? I looked at some pictures I found and it looks like both connection points are used. I couldn't find in the owners manual any mention of the correct connection point. Looking at the picture of my boat, it looks like if I remove that extension, it would be the exact correct length to connect to the tang.

I'd like to hear from others, where do you make the forestay connection?

Inked20160822_061948_LI.jpg

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
I'm guessing the 'tang" as you call it is the tack location for a hank on sail.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Hmm, could be. Maybe it was used prior to the installation of the roller furler. Just seems like a lot of stress is being put on the rub rail overhang at the bow where the u-bolt is installed, as there is a small crack on the underside. I suppose it would be okay to move the connection to the tang. (don't know what else to call it) I'm just curious what the actual intended connection point is.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
My PO similarly attached the fore stay to the u-bolt. I moved it back to the tang which is the intended attachment point. I think that attaching to the u-bolt provides a bit more clearance for the furling drum and the bow cleat. That was probably the motivation.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
The manual shows the forestay connected just ahead of the "tang". This must be correct as you now have the tang to attach the sail tack to. Looking at H26 images from a google search I see it done both ways, which I find is typical when people add furling because the drum has it's own tack point and more clearance is obtained for the drum by moving it aft away from the pulpit. The small cracks you're seeing are only in the gel-coate. You're gonna see a lot of them as the boat ages.
Dennis

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Dennis, I see what you mean. The plan view does make it look like the forestay is connected forward of the tang. I think I'm still going to try connecting to the tang, which is fastened with two screws/bolts, plus the u-bolt. So it is very strong. The pulling load/angle looks to be much more appropriate. It may turn out though that the drum clearance might be a problem. Which may be the reason it is connected where it is.

Jun 4, 2004
DougJ,
Be aware that you"ll have to shorten your forestay. If your turnbuckle won't take up all the slack it will increase your mast rake and create a lot of weather helm.
Dennis

EDIT; I see in the picture you have extension tangs under the furler that could be removed to adjust the length. Still, I would leave it where it is. Your call.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had to go find a picture of my boat. I wasn't sure where mine attached. Also at the U-bolt.
main.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The photo rgranger posted is correct for setup of the curler on his boat as I actually did the install. What so many fail to realize is a clresence issue for the drum as you are dealing with an angled forestry attached where it is and the forward portion of the raised deck. Tangs are the appropriate way to go for curler setup on the 26

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
CDC... I don't understand your post. The picture that rgranger posted shows the forestay connected to the U-Bolt which you appear to endorse yet you also mention "tangs are the appropriate way to go". The original question was to a) use the U-Bolt or b) use the tang?

(the one thing that gives me pause about using the tang as an attachment point is that the hole in the tang is relatively small so only a small pin can be used.)

Jun 4, 2004
Fred,
He means use the u- bolt but raise the furler with long enough tangs to give adequate clearance of the furler. You can add various lengths of tangs below the furler and still connect it to the correct point on the boat; ie the u-bolt. Go back to the picture at the top of this thread and notice how long the tangs are below the furler.

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
OK I get it. We are using "tangs" to describe two different parts. I now see that you referred to "extension tangs" in your previous post.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
WOW I'm amazed that the factory would mount the forestay to that U-bolt, unsupported by a chainplate. That's a big load on the stay, and a chainplate attached in several place to the hull at the bow is standard industry practice to take that load. That U-bolt is hanging on an supported lip of plastic. I'm not surprised its cracking under there.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
the H26/260 shrouds are attached in the same manner. I do in fact have some distortion at the shroud attachment points and would like to install longer backing plates. The forestay connection has no backing plate at all.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dennis. Thanks for the clarification.
Jackdaw : The u bolt is well secured
Fred. Not sure if your shrouds are overnight

Working from cell phone. Ugh

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Dennis. Thanks for the clarification.
Jackdaw : The u bolt is well secured
Fred. Not sure if your shrouds are overnight

Working from cell phone. Ugh
Over-tightening your shrouds should never cause cracking at the attachment point. In fact, it should bend your entire boat. Cracking at the attachment point means a design issue, plain and simple.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I'm with Jackdaw. Wow, that lip is the seam between the hull and the deck. Probably very strong, but just looks sketchy. For what it's worth, this is a '96 H23.5 forestay. Note how the forestay, bow pulpit, bow cleat, and roller appear to be anchored to the same area.
upload_2017-5-22_20-58-20.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Funny hoe I have seen stress cracks in the gel cost around other mfg chain plates to include Beneteau, Catalina and many others over the years
The forestry chain plate on the h 26 has worked well over the years for me without concern to include oth dealers and customers