H26 Battery Panel / Wall

Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
I discovered that port side bottom edge where there is a battery hatch of that plywood laminate has broken up from accumulated rain water. I just replaced the walls of the head and it was bugger getting the back wall of the head that I made back in. It was like the boat was built around the panel. It is held in a molded groove. Do you know if this is the case for the battery panel? I was finishing up when I made this discovery and had to head out to make the 2 hr drive back to the house before curfew, so didn't get time to explore this but it looked like maybe another it is fixed in another molded groove.

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Are you referring to the wood that is aft of the rear bed? Yes there is a molded groove in the top it is captured in. I had to pull mine to glue some water damage at the bottom corner. It wasn't too bad. I just removed the screws and then pulled the bottom edge out first. A little wiggling and it was free.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Are you referring to the wood that is aft of the rear bed? Yes there is a molded groove in the top it is captured in. I had to pull mine to glue some water damage at the bottom corner. It wasn't too bad. I just removed the screws and then pulled the bottom edge out first. A little wiggling and it was free.
:plus:

Same for the H26

Apr 10, 2010
thanks yes you had the location right. Now I'm rethinking the placement of the batteries behind that wall. It's a highly irritating location to get to them. I just posted a idea i have to move them out in that sleeping space as a divider. Build some containments to secure them. Then use the space where they were as leg space. Body positions bow to stern instead of port to starboard. what so you think?

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
it would be easier if you want to move the batterys to put them in the " L " space or indention at the foot of the bed

Jan 19, 2010
There is also that space at the bottom of the hanging locker in the head.... or under the sink in the head.... one thing to consider is that the batteries balance the weight of the outboard that hangs to starboard. I think you will find the boat will list if you move the batteries to the centerline.

Apr 10, 2010
There is also that space at the bottom of the hanging locker in the head.... or under the sink in the head.... one thing to consider is that the batteries balance the weight of the outboard that hangs to starboard. I think you will find the boat will list if you move the batteries to the centerline.
Yes I'm concerned about placement that would cause the boat to list. The marina operator suggested under the sink/gas range but both batteries could mean a list factor. When I bought the boat the previous owner had one maybe two 12v batteries just as weight in the bow hanger. Running lines up to there and back to the motor isn't appealing. I'm still thinking that if I can secure both batteries inline behind the stairs, keeping the weight centered in the middle of the boat would neutralize listing. I can leave open the panel I pulled out so that you sleep with feet extending into the old battery location. I have teak here in Panamá and will put a panel back of teak that is centered where the old plywood panel was with a hole to pass the cables through threaded through a pvc channel to the new battery station.

Why... because when it is 90+ at sea side humidity and no shade you get soaked in sweat and I'm in good shape for my age. I cycle still and use to compete in the sport.

I'm open to further critique!

Apr 10, 2010
soaked in sweat trying to work back in under the cockpit maintaining those batteries

Apr 10, 2010
oh I just re-read that they counter the weight of the motor.. good point! maybe into the L shape and sacrifice one full berth

Jan 19, 2010
oh I just re-read that they counter the weight of the motor.. good point! maybe into the L shape and sacrifice one full berth
.... or you could put them at the bottom of the hanging locker ... a.k.a. "closet" in the head (toilet). That would keep the weight distributed ... I think that locker has enough room at the bottom for two side-by-side and you could easily create a new cover to go over the batteries so you could still use most of the locker for hanging towels etc. Or redesign the closet with removable shelves and the batteries go on the bottom shelf. Then use the space behind the aft bulkhead for storage of things you don't use very often... like spare anchor or spare anchor rode etc.

Apr 10, 2010
Those are nifty ideas that are going in the mix. I will update this thread at some point with what our solution ends up being. I think the closet could work. An existing enclosure like that closet

Jan 19, 2010
Then use the space behind the aft bulkhead for storage of things you don't use very often... like spare anchor or spare anchor rode etc.
I keep fishing gear in that back space on my H26

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Then use the space where they were as leg space. Body positions bow to stern instead of port to starboard. what so you think?
Interesting idea. Hadn't thought that as a way to get more bed space.

One issue with it is there is only a bump up in the celling on the Starboard side. Crud my spouse isn't even fond of crawling into the Port side bed area due to the low celling height but might not be an issue with other people.

Another worry, is that plywood piece structural at all? I've got no idea but wonder if it is. I'm not ready to remove it but if it wasn't needed.... Would open things up a lot.

If maintaining the batteries is an issue go with something maintance free batteries. Batteries aren't changed that often. When it comes time to change them just pay some youngin to do it :)

Thaniel

Apr 10, 2010
. No that panel isn't structural. I had lost most of its strength from exposure to water sitting back there while I had limited use of the boat. Rain water, when rains it pours. National Guaranteed most of this past year because of Covid-19,and a little health issue do to Agent Orange that is behind me now. i still plan on replacing a section of that battery panel made from teak this time if did have something to do with the structural integrity.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you are talking about the rear berth wall with the two opening panels one of which is the starboard opening to the battery, it is considered structural which helps to keep the cockpit floor from flexing

Apr 10, 2010
ok good info.. the support I will replace it with should do the trick...thanks

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Apr 10, 2010
If I correctly understand from from the frist two URL addresses you posted you didn't move the batteries. I've had with struggling to lift batteries in and out of the OEM location lying on my stomach soaked in sweat with it running my eyes and fogging up my glasses. I couldn't get the 3rs website to open up.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
When I was working on my battery project, the cushions were removed, as well as the aft bulkhead. It's not too difficult to get each battery on/off the mount that holds the batteries. The battery boxes being plastic, slide easily over the fiberglass where the cushions usually are. Not too difficult at all. And considering how infrequently the batteries need to be moved, I don't see this as a problem at all. I also am an advocate for leaving the boat as was designed (for the most part), when it comes to something like battery placement.

I tested the 3rd link - works for me! It is for a battery watering kit, that can be added to wet cell batteries. Makes it easy to top off the water in tight spaces.

Google: Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit