H26/260 MSD Deck Pump Out

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I plan to install deck pump out for my MSD Porta Pottie. I'm wondering for those who have already done it, where did you install the deck fitting, and how/where did you run the hose? Please include pictures if you can.

I want to keep the hoses, main and vent, hidden as much as possible. I would prefer not having the hoses running straight up through the cabin top, right in full view within the head. At this point I'm thinking about running all the way back to the stern, on the flat just as you step onto the boat. The hoses would run along under the edge of the aft berth cushion. Does anyone have a better idea?

2015-11-29 09.46.27.jpg 20150228_110659.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not a good plan, especially for the vent which needs to be as short, straight and as horizontal as possible if you don't want noxious gasses out the vent every time the boat rocks or heels. The pumpout line also should be as short and straight as possible to minimize potential for clogs (and reduce the cost of the hoses). Both the vent and the pumpout line runs should be above the top of the potty...if the pumpout line isn't waste will sit it, permeating it with odor.

If your toilet backs up to a hanging locker, you could run the hoses through the bulkhead into the closet to hide them. Or, you could run them up to the deck right BEHIND the potty...make a nice "box" to hide them. A little creativity should bring you to an installation that you'll be a LOT happier with than what you're proposing.

There's a lot of necessary "stuff" on a boat that no one would ever consider "attractive decor." Boatbuilders' attempts to meet "decor" standards are what have resulted in, among other things, seacocks and y-valves--which safety standards call for being readily accessible--hidden in engine rooms and behind drawers under aft cabin berths and other impossible locations because "seacocks are ugly." So if you can't hide the hoses, keep in mind that it IS a BOAT, not a condo...your wife will just have to live a few things that don't suit her idea of "decor." :D

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I plan to install deck pump out for my MSD Porta Pottie. I'm wondering for those who have already done it, where did you install the deck fitting, and how/where did you run the hose? Please include pictures if you can.

I want to keep the hoses, main and vent, hidden as much as possible. I would prefer not having the hoses running straight up through the cabin top, right in full view within the head. At this point I'm thinking about running all the way back to the stern, on the flat just as you step onto the boat. The hoses would run along under the edge of the aft berth cushion. Does anyone have a better idea?

View attachment 117664 View attachment 117658
Post pics when you are done.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
This is my temporary solution for sailing in the North Channel of Lake Huron in Canadian waters. I install it for 2 weeks and then take it out when I get home. Not sure why you want to do this unless you get pump-outs for free.

Attachments

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Peggy, I will definitely heed your warning on this and will re-think things.
John, no offense but I will not be using your solution. Pump outs are free in my area. Nice work though!
I absolutely hate emptying the holding tank by hand, carrying it to dump, I prefer to avoid it at all costs. But having said that, since I have a trailer-able sailboat, I realize there will be times I will find myself in a place were there is no pump out station and there will be a need to dump manually on occasion. So, I will need to maintain that option. Which is why I like the MSD Porta Potties, as apposed to a marine head with a fixed holding tank.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Doug;
If I recall, Canada does not allow the simple Porta Poti but the one with a holding tank. Peggy is right about the short runs regarding venting and pump out. You can cover up the plumbing but is a headache if you have to pull it out and then there are lakes where there is no pump out and you will have to empty the tank itself. Do not forget to treat the tank every time it is emptied and I use to use white vinegar.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
There doesn't seem to be a good way to plumb the hoses for the MSD pottie on a H26/260. Peggy I certainly respect your expertise on this topic, but I really wish I could come up with a solution to put the deck fitting at the stern. Going straight up to the cabin top or even the coaming is problematic.

Hey Crazy Dave, didn't some boats come from the factory with a holding tank in the port corner at the stern? How did they run the hoses for that? Did they go under the aft berth liner?

Here's a couple pictures of the space between the aft berth liner and the ballast tank. Can't tell if there's a way to get all the way to that compartment in the stern.

2010-10-29_12-31-53_241rsz.jpg 2010-10-29_12-34-34_303rsz.jpg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sheesh, guys... Einstein was right: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." Y'all are turning a SIMPLE job on a SMALL boat into a project that rivals the building of the pyramids!
I don't what's "problematic" about running a hose straight--or at a slight diagonal--up to the side deck above it into which you've installed a deck pumpout fitting and connecting that hose to it.

You can cover up the plumbing but is a headache if you have to pull it out and then there are lakes where there is no pump out and you will have to empty the tank itself.

A nice box secured to the wall with spring loaded clamps is easy to remove IF you have to pull out any plumbing...which should only be necessary IF you aren't smart enough to figure out how to disconnect the hoses from the tank if you have to carry the tank off the boat.

Walking off mumbling to myself....

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
For our 260 I routed the plumbing through the bulkhead behind the toilet, used ABS to route down to the cavity you show in your photos then with an elbow and hose adapter ran the hose aft and up to the location shown in the document you attached. I use a platform on the port side where the holding tank is mounted for my batteries. The hose comes through an opening left there for that purpose by the factory.
You will have a bit of access through the hatch under the rear berth but it is tight. For doing the bit under the platform and up to the deck fitting I removed the bulkhead aft of the stern berth for easier access. For the vent I tried to keep it as short and level as possible so went to a vent fitting just aft the hanging locker rather than the location shown in the marlow document.

We used a sealand 5gal Msd.

Portapotties are legal in most of Canada with the exception of Ontario and some restricted lakes in British Columbia.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I hear ya Peggy, try not to get too irritated with me ;), I do appreciate your advice. I'll admit I do tend to go the extra mile when I do a project. Some do things just to work, I want it to work and look good too. Hoses running up through the middle of the small head is something I want to avoid if I can. I may end up doing it close to what you suggest, after I'm comfortable I've explored all the options. But it seems to me it should be possible to hide the hoses somewhat. After all that's the way the factory did it, at least on the 260. The question is the H26 the same, at least to the aft end.

Just so you know the kind of work I do, here is what I did on the Mac 26S I recently sold. I was able to run the hoses straight up in this case. I did all the woodwork, and ran the hoses through the cabinet to hide them a little. The hoses were simple to disconnect if needed for manual dumping. (yes I realize the hose clamps are missing in these pics, I wasn't completely finished yet)

deckPumpOutInside1.jpg MSDPottiePlumbed2.jpg MSDPottiePlumbed1.jpg msDPottiePlumbed3.jpg

TWalker, thanks for the info you provided. Referencing the Marlow document page 3, second pic, "
FEEDING WASTE DISCHARGE HOSE TO THE AFT END OF THE TANK
PLATFORM: Did you have to make those holes where the hoses come through? My H26 does not have them already there.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Since we did a MSD rather than the tank and I did not have the document you linked to, I went straight out the back of the msd, through the aft bulkhead of the head compartment to the rear berth area. From there I used ridgid pipe down through the rear berth platform (i did drill a 1-3/4"hole here) , did a 90 degree elbow and connected to a hose adaptor. There where two pvc pipes going from the rear platform area to under the aft berth as mentioned in the Marlow document that the hose was then run through to pass it up to the thruhull. I haven't been able to find any photos of my install and won't likely be out to the boat for a couple of months but I will keep looking.

I would now likely consider attaching the hose to the underside of the aft berth overhead and passing it through the aft most bulkhead in the upper right corner then to the pumpout fitting. This would give a run that was about the same length but would allow the waste to run back into the MSD after pumpout rather than having it sit in the hose as it does in the current configuration.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I think I like your idea of running "the hose to the underside of the aft berth overhead"! That may be my best option. Looks like another difference between the H26 and the 260 is that the 26 does not have those two PVC pipes going from the rear platform area to under the aft berth. I could probably go through the trouble to install them, but that would mean I'd need to make those holes in that fiberglass ridge where that bulkhead attached to aft of the berth, to accommodate the PVC. Might be a lot easier to go overhead tight in the corner, which wouldn't look bad at all.

Sounds like more consideration was given to the 260 for running hoses and wires from one area to another. For example, in addition to the PVC we're talking about here, I think I read about conduit run in the overhead between the galley and over the table for wires to be run.

Dec 2, 2003
If the platform is there for the holding tank I suspect the pvc pipes may be there as well. From the port access hatch on the rear berth try taking a photo looking aft with your phone or see if you can borrow an inspection camera to have a look.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
If the platform is there for the holding tank I suspect the pvc pipes may be there as well. From the port access hatch on the rear berth try taking a photo looking aft with your phone or see if you can borrow an inspection camera to have a look.
Yeah, I'll definitely do more investigating before I do anything. My boat does have a platform there to hold two batteries, but I don't think it's factory. I'll be able to see more when I remove that aft bulkhead. From what I can tell so far though, I don't think the PVC conduit is there. It would be a relatively easy job if it was. I think there is good merit to your point of running the hose to the underside of the aft berth overhead, for draining purposes.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Doug;
If referring to the Hunter install of the marine head and the way the plumbing was run, it will be the same for the 26. However, you will have to install a platform behind the rear berth wall to accommodate a 20 gallon holding tank. I would not go with a smaller tank. Simply remove the screws to the rear aft berth bulkhead and remove it but it might be tight coming out. Look at how the battery on the starboard side lays on the platform and you will get an idea. Do not drill or cut into the top of the water ballast tank lid. Vent and discharge should be straight and run up on the port side. Installed quite a few over the years. Use a little white vinegar when putting the boat up or leaving it flushed thru the crapper line as I use to call it as it will take away those horrible smells built up in later months in the line from the head to the tank. After each pump out, do put some deodorant into the tank via discharge or pumpout cap