H240 Rudder Questions

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
After reviewing the Hunter manual drawings I examined my rudder and the controls are different. I assume that the manual reflects changes made on later models due to the difficulty of raising the rudder when is is flooded. The manual shows a movable block in the control line for pulling the rudder down (inside the rudder post). Getting it down is not an issue getting it up is (no pun intended). I intend to modify my rudder arrangement to reflect the added block on the lifting side. I plan to disconnect the line from the knotted hole in the back of the rudder, pull it out of the rudder post and add second hole lower than the existing hole which is too high to incorporate the new scheme.
Is there any issue with drilling a new hole through the rudder to add a three foot loop to a new block? I found where someone else had made this modification and posted it but he did not mention have to drill a new hole in the rudder.My Rudder.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Sounds like a good idea. On my 240 the rudder uphaul line was not routed through the post- it was outside as shown in the Hunter drawing. I also added the 4:1 purchase on the downhaul line inside the post using 2 small Harken blocks. Details and good rudder tips on this link, they apply to the 240 also since design is the same:
Hunter 260 Rudder (h260.com)

Jun 12, 2021
Sounds like a good idea. On my 240 the rudder uphaul line was not routed through the post- it was outside as shown in the Hunter drawing. I also added the 4:1 purchase on the downhaul line inside the post using 2 small Harken blocks. Details and good rudder tips on this link, they apply to the 240 also since design is the same:
Hunter 260 Rudder (h260.com)
Thanks for the confirmation. I will go ahead and pull the line from the rudder post and add the pulley. I pulled the rudder up two days ago with a lasso and cleaned it. After I lowered it it floated. It didn't used to. I will eye ball where the new hole goes. If a new rudder wasn't so expensive I would buy one. I am saving for a new mainsail.

Jun 12, 2021
I drilled the new hole for the single block attachment for the lifting line for the rudder. It works great. I am going to replace the single rudder down haul line with the block arrangement shown in the Hunter manual. I believe that have found a block that will fit in the rudder post. It is a Harken 29mm single bullet block
Does anyone know what the factory block is or has done a modification himself and has a different recommendation?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021
I'm talking about the block in the lower half of the rudder post as shown in this picture.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021
I have been sick for about ten days with some kind of cold (not Covid 19) and only got up to the lake yesterday. I checked the length of the rudder post in order to make sure the new pulley assembly would fit inside and be long enough to allow full travel of the rudder (up and down). My plan is to tie the end of the existing "lowering" line to the bottom of the lower Harken block and pull it down through the rudder post until I see the block come out of the bottom of the post. Then I will pull it up until it the block disappears back inside.I will pull the existing knot out of the rudder and take up the slack (the rudder is tied in the up position) and then tie a new knot in the rudder hole. I am doing this with the boat in the water. I can then check for full travel of the rudder. I am not anticipating any problems.My Rudder Lower.jpg