H240 headsail blocks

Jun 9, 2019
Hunter H240 West Kelowna
Hello fellow H240 owners

I recently purchased a lightly used 2003 H240. Everything in excellent cond except the sheaves on the factory Schaefer stand up swivel blocks worn out completely. They are max work load 1000lbs. Have any of you experienced this? What did you replace them with? I think maybe they were undersized. Thanks!

Attachments

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
If those are genoa sheet blocks, a working load of 1000 pounds is sufficient for an H240. That's the right spec for a genoa sheet load for a 25 foot boat, per Schaefer's guidelines. That means breaking load is at least 2000#, if not much higher.

In what way is it totally worn out? Cracked or chipped? Not turning?
Is that a ball bearing sheave? Shcaefer doesn't offer ball bearing sheaves for genoa/jib sheets in their small boat lines. All their genoa car sheet block are plain sheaves. Ball bearing blocks aren't able to take the same shock loads and high static loads that plain bearing sheaves can.

It's probably better to replace just the sheave, not the whole assembly because you can reuse the holes that are already drilled in the deck. New Schaefer stand up spring blocks have a different base. New ones have round bases, not square, so you'd need to fill the old holes and redrill new ones.You should be able to get plain bearing replacement sheaves for that load range for under $20 each; ball bearing sheaves are about $35-40 each.

To order the right sheaves, you'll need the following specs: Outer diameter? Inner (axel) diameter? Width?

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
See if you can take the block off the base mount by pushing the spring down with a pair of needle nosed locking pliers and looking for the shackle pin at the base of the block itself. If that is possible, you can acquire any block you choose to mount to the existing base without much effort. Take a look at all the blocks in the style, size and strength range.... Harken, Lewmar, Ronstan are carried by most all chandleries.... but you may want to check the Garhauer Marine product line...
Now, if removing the block from the base seems too difficult.... then remove the whole thing, take it to your local West Marine or other local chandlery and try to match it up. Of course, you always have the option of ordering the same exact part from the SBO online store.

Jun 25, 2004
:plus:on the Garhauer blocks. They are very well built, and you can't beat the price. They tend to be very heavy, but that's probably not a big factor for your application.

Jun 9, 2019
Hunter H240 West Kelowna
Schaefer 504-62 would be the size up replacement, we have 2 of those old style square base left in stock:
Dave
Do you also have an OEM Schaefer centreboard deflection block with original OEM bolt pattern? Not exactly rectangular.
Could you send me price for all three original blocks (inc shipping to Oroville, Washington) to my email?
Offpisteal@gmail.com
Many thanks
Al

Jun 9, 2019
Hunter H240 West Kelowna
If those are genoa sheet blocks, a working load of 1000 pounds is sufficient for an H240. That's the right spec for a genoa sheet load for a 25 foot boat, per Schaefer's guidelines. That means breaking load is at least 2000#, if not much higher.

In what way is it totally worn out? Cracked or chipped? Not turning?
Is that a ball bearing sheave? Shcaefer doesn't offer ball bearing sheaves for genoa/jib sheets in their small boat lines. All their genoa car sheet block are plain sheaves. Ball bearing blocks aren't able to take the same shock loads and high static loads that plain bearing sheaves can.

It's probably better to replace just the sheave, not the whole assembly because you can reuse the holes that are already drilled in the deck. New Schaefer stand up spring blocks have a different base. New ones have round bases, not square, so you'd need to fill the old holes and redrill new ones.You should be able to get plain bearing replacement sheaves for that load range for under $20 each; ball bearing sheaves are about $35-40 each.

To order the right sheaves, you'll need the following specs: Outer diameter? Inner (axel) diameter? Width?
Thanks!
Sheaves all cracked/blown out. Where would I purchase correct sheaves and clevis pins?

Jun 25, 2004
Thanks!
Sheaves all cracked/blown out. Where would I purchase correct sheaves and clevis pins?
Lots of places online sell them. Or you can order them from Schaefer.

You need to measure the outer diameter, inner diameter and width. See the following link for a list of their replacement sheaves. You can find the part number on the list and then search the SBO store or online for it.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Dave
Do you also have an OEM Schaefer centreboard deflection block with original OEM bolt pattern? Not exactly rectangular.
Could you send me price for all three original blocks (inc shipping to Oroville, Washington) to my email?
Offpisteal@gmail.com
Many thanks
Al
I think you're talking about this little cheek block, the 2 stand up blocks with the square base we have left are $89.95, shipping to Oroville from Seattle is inexpensive:

Jun 9, 2019
Hunter H240 West Kelowna
I think you're talking about this little cheek block, the 2 stand up blocks with the square base we have left are $89.95, shipping to Oroville from Seattle is inexpensive:

Next step...how to order?
Can you supply all part numbers and secure site to order?
I also require OEM stern light 196452 if it is original bolt pattern.
Many Thanks!
Al