H23 Anchor Locker

Oct 3, 2021
Hunter 23 Middle Bay
Hello all - ”new” H23 owner here. So I had water in the forepeak below the anchor locker. I replaced the two thru-hulls (which were shot). When I leak tested, I found that water was still coming in, but through the fiberglass itself! When I looked back in the locker I found a suspiciously round crack at the very forward part of the locker. I suspect this was the location of the original thru-hull, was poorly plugged, and the new location added. Am I correct? Is this weird round crack the original hole for the thru-hull?7FF203D7-D963-4170-9453-5A769D80ABEA.jpeg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Clean it out well, rough up the edges for a good bond and fill it with some "goop". Goop dries into a hard rubber. I've used goop to make gaskets for the swing keel bolt of a Balboa 26 and for the water ballast tank on an H26. It is some real tough stuff and holds up well in we environments. It also self levels and dries hard to a soft rubber in about 36 hours and in about 5 days it will be a nice hard rubber. You might even want to level out your boat and empty a few tubes into the locker to make a nice rubber bottom to cushion the chain and anchor when you put them back in the locker.

2016-06-10 15.17.16.jpg

Oct 3, 2021
Hunter 23 Middle Bay
I think I’ll do the repair with fiberglass but your idea of leveling out the anchor locker with this stuff is very interesting. Since the thru hull sits up about 1/4”, I’d like to build up the floor to the level of the thru hull so there isn’t always water sitting in there, and this might do the trick!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
you are correct regarding the original location of the cockpit drain. Top selling dealer for the boat. Retired now. Yes it can be repaired

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Would be better if you moved back home so I could help you. You got my number. Call you wascal
Hi Dave

Hi @Crazy Dave Condon This is not my post... and I sold my H26 to a guy down on the Neuse River. I moved to a condo on the Ashley river but the Hw17 bridge was in the way... so I sold the H26 aned at the moment I only have a Hobie 16 and a windsurfer4. And I bought a stink pot (shhhh.... don't tell anyone:biggrin:)