h23.5 cabin step

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
Is the step mounted below th cabin entrance structural? I'm thinking about building storage cabinets in that area that would incorporate a step so that one would need to go..

Jul 17, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Chesapeake Bay
Hi Timothy. I'd like to know, too. I just want to take mine out for easier access to the rear section. You know, the no-man's land under the cockpit where only Hobbits can fit. I'm 6'5 & 230lbs., I don't need that cabin step, but I would like to be able to access those port storage bins. I can't believe they originally advertised this boat as sleeping six!

If Crazy Dave sees this post he will know. He is an expert on the 23.5.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I removed the step on my 23.5 and had an aluminum rod support put in to replace it. While the support was being fabricated (using the step as a template so it would fit into the same holes), I stood in the companionway and did notice a little flexing. Also, the hatchboards were difficult to remove if I stood in the companionway. I never missed having that step there, and the ease of access to the aft berth area was great. But I would have some type of support installed.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Timothy;

Please take a photo of the steps in place as it will make it a little easier to disucss. What I would be concerned if the steps support the cockpit and the ease of steps to enter the cabin would be adversely affected from a structural and safety stand point.

send them to me at davecondon@mindspring.com

Jul 17, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Chesapeake Bay
I think this is the step he is talking about, Dave. Is it structural, or just a step?

Attachments