H23 1988 Mast foot rebuild

Nov 2, 2020
Catalina 25 Payette Lake
Hello all,

We have recently acquired 1988 H23 and are looking at installing a new mast foot. The original one has a crack in one of the pin ears and frankly is one of the sketchier masts we have ever stepped. Planning on replacing with this rebuild kit Hunter 23 mast base/foot rebuild kit for old base/foot and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have that exact same one on my H26 and I had to replace mine as well.
Make sure you have a Z-Spar mast.
2016-09-29 11.10.45.jpg

It is a rather straight forward repair. Simply slide the new foot into the base and then drill holes for the rivets. Put in the rivets and pop them.

You will need one of these (Lowes or Home Depot etc)
1604414179300.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can you post a photo of broken part. Also look on the boom and mast for any identification as to mast mfg. it can be either a Z Spar or Kenyon Isomat

Nov 2, 2020
Catalina 25 Payette Lake
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Here is a close-up photo of the broken part. Z-Spar mast.
IMG_2326.JPG

Nov 2, 2020
Catalina 25 Payette Lake
Hi rgranger,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, our mast is a Z-Spar. Yes, I think a rivet gun is required equipment for a used boat owner. ;) Glad to hear that it was as straight-forward as it looks.

Nov 2, 2020
Catalina 25 Payette Lake
It looks to me like the upgrade mast foot is less tippy when raising? I’m guessing this is how the original one was cracked.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would recommend using aluminum pop rivets when you put the foot onto the extrusion, not stainless. That way if the mast should ever sway sideways while stepping or unstepping the rivets may sacrifice instead of ripping slots in the extrusion. Keep in mind the rivets only serve to help keep the foot in place when the mast is not vertical.

And don't rely on the strength or design of the foot and tabernacle to keep the mast from swaying sideways, it is way too weak for that. Use a few helpers to steady the mast and/or rig a baby stay system to help steady it. I personally would not try to do this alone. If you try to raise it without robust side support of some sort it is likely to tilt to the side and at minimum do damage at the mast base or even lose the mast (and maybe you) entirely.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A well designed mast raising system should not include a line item for failure. Thats an irresponsible approach that could kill somebody.

MHJ

Jan 31, 2021
Hunter 18.5 Logan Martin / BSC
Hi rgranger,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, our mast is a Z-Spar. Yes, I think a rivet gun is required equipment for a used boat owner. ;) Glad to hear that it was as straight-forward as it looks.
How do you remove the old rivets? With a drill?