H22 Bulkhead

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I recently purchased a 2013 Marlow Hunter 22 sailboat. It is in like new condition.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think you are okay. A boat that sits in the water or on a trailer for an extended period of time will settle. Over time things will work and distort a little. When true structural integrity is needed, the manufacturers will tab in the bulkhead. Tabbing is when you use resin and fiberglass cloth to mechanically (and sometimes chemically) bind the two pieces together. It looks like this bulkhead here is only to provide compression resistance to the bridgedeck. It looks like someone (maybe the PO) put calk in the gap to keep water out and it has now pulled away. I'd clean the old caulk out and replace it with new.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
As you know I have the 216 predecessor to your 22 and have not seen a 22 in person so take my opinion for what it’s worth ;)

I believe the only purpose of that “bulkhead” is to keep the stuff you have in the bow cuddy area from sliding back under the seats and out of reach. The material in mine is light and has a BIG cutout so it isn’t likely to add much structural value.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Since you're asking a second time and I can't find a NCAA football game I'm interested in I'll chime in with my un-expert opinion. The boat wasn't built that way. The bulkhead is structural as are most that span under the companionway. It doesn't need to be heavy plywood to stiffen the structure. My guess would be that bulkhead is tabbed to the hull but not the liner. It wouldn't be tabbed to the liner anyway as the liner is not structural in most boats. Nevertheless something has moved and it is good to understand why it moved. I can totally buy into the settling on the trailer theory. Trailer bunks or rollers do not support the hull the same way as H2O immersion does. But the boat design and build should stand up to that. Some other forces that could separate the hull bulkhead from the liner could be rig tension, a grounding, collapsing mast support, collision, beaching, dropping the boat, and probably some others.
What would I do? Probably nothing. I had a Mark 25 which was a bit on the flimsy side. It would oil can badly and made horrendous noises as the liner and hull worked against each other. And I sailed it in some pretty rough water. I sold it because the marina was charging me for 30' as a minimum and I thought I might as well have a 30' boat. Hence the Ranger 29. I miss that dis-functional Mark 25.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Glad to hear your boat is sound. I guess you should remove the old caulk before the next postential comes by....

Best of luck with your new toy.

I understand the thrill of the go-fast boat. I have a hobie 16 in addition to a few other toys. I also have a crush on these...

1601771655167.png

There is a LOT of beautiful salt marsh where I live now and one of these (with a paddle as back up) would be a lot of fun and open up a lot of "private" beaches to explore.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If it is what I think, the bulkheads are cut and suppose to be stiff when installed. Sometimes i have seen where the cut
A little larger making it difficult to get in or out. Good examples are the forward bulkhead on the Hunters in the V Berth particularly the trailerables. Since the tabbing is in place and the fact this is a fiberglass boat , not plastic/ACP, you should be fine. I introduced the boat