H216 winter storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
Catalina 28 mk2 Toronto
I am thinking ahead to my first winter with a 2008 H216. My plan is to store it on the trailer in the yacht club yard - with some 25 other trailer boats. Given the local conditions in Toronto (temp could drop to -20 C / -4 F, but generally not too much snow) does anyone have advice? I have seen some of the posts regarding the H170, which don't look good, but have not heard of any such hull cracking problems for the 216.

Thanks in advance!

Werner

Sep 28, 2009
Hunter 216 Kelowna, BC
Here in Kelowna, BC, I stored last winter my 2008 H216 on the trailer in my backyard, covered with a 24'x10' tarp over the mast. Dispite temeratures of up to -20 C and lots of snow, nothing happened. I only supported the mast with a few cuts of 2"x4" on top of the cabin hatch. The sails were stored in the basement. This was all I did.

S

sunapeejoe

Cracking

I am thinking ahead to my first winter with a 2008 H216. My plan is to store it on the trailer in the yacht club yard - with some 25 other trailer boats. Given the local conditions in Toronto (temp could drop to -20 C / -4 F, but generally not too much snow) does anyone have advice? I have seen some of the posts regarding the H170, which don't look good, but have not heard of any such hull cracking problems for the 216.

Thanks in advance!
Don't use dark colored shrink-wrap

Jul 4, 2009
Hunter 216 new castle, me
My 216 had several cracks in the plastic when I bought her, and I've read that they can expand with temp variations (though I suspect thats more of a concern if water gets in the cracks) I've repaired most of them, but a single drill hole at the leading edge of the crack will prevent its growth. ---Erik Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.