H212 Centerboard raising rope broken

Jul 24, 2021
Hunter 212 San Diego
I ordered new Dyneema cord to replace the broken one, but I'm not sure how I'm going to attach it. Does anyone know if the connection spot on the centerboard is accessible with it extended? Without a hoist, I'm figuring my options are:

a) launch the boat, extend the centerboard, dive under, and tie the new rope on - which should work if the connection spot on the centerboard is accessible when it is extended fully below the boat.
c) Cut into the hull from the cabin in order to access the tie-up spot.
d) Fish the broken end of the rope out through the bolt hole, and splice it to the new rope with a knot thin enough to fit back down through the bolt hole - then do a little more threading.

Has anyone done this before? I figure I'll get it right eventually, but since I have the luxury of waiting for the dyneema rope to ship, advice or knowledge will be useful.

Jul 24, 2021
Hunter 212 San Diego
That is an interesting post, SFbay. I'm still thinking that swimming under the boat will be easier than constructing stands if the tie-spot is accessible, especially considering the cost of lumber these days. A thirty minute drive to my local lake isn't too bad. However, the thread you mention will give me something else to consider. My boat is the older non-water ballast model, but I'm guessing the centerboard will probably still have the tie up spot accessible with the centerboard extended - still hoping someone that has done it on the 212 can verify though.

Apr 7, 2022
Hunter 216 Crosswinds, Lake Jordan
Hi Tim, I have the same problem with replacing the centerboard lift line on my Hunter 212 (not water ballast). What process did you decide on and used to replace? I'm OK with doing it in the water. Where is the attach point? Did you thread the new line down thru the trunk from the cabin? Thanks!