H16 Boom Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2008
Hunter216 216 Rehoboth Bay
The bolt through the plate on the end of mt H16 boom is loose. This bolt hold the U bracket which attaches to the gooseneck. Does anyone know how this can be tightened? Thanks, Bob

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been a while since I saw the end cap of a 216 boom. Generally you will have to take the end cap off which is either screwed on or pop rivited on. If pop rivited, you will have to drill out the pop rivet making sure that you do not enlargen that hole and then you should have access to the nut.

I wish a photo had been attached so I might be off on this one. Ok guys can you tell me if I am correct or wrong

crazy dave

Sep 28, 2008
Dave,
You're right. The plate fits into the sleeve of the boom and is riveted on through the side of the boom. Drilling out the rivets makes sense but it is something I have no experience with.
Thanks

It has been a while since I saw the end cap of a 216 boom. Generally you will have to take the end cap off which is either screwed on or pop rivited on. If pop rivited, you will have to drill out the pop rivet making sure that you do not enlargen that hole and then you should have access to the nut.

I wish a photo had been attached so I might be off on this one. Ok guys can you tell me if I am correct or wrong

crazy dave

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Boom attachment

The bolt through the plate on the end of mt H16 boom is loose. This bolt hold the U bracket which attaches to the gooseneck. Does anyone know how this can be tightened? Thanks, Bob
I don't know that you want to tighten it. There should be some free play in the boom/gooseneck. Some small boat goosenecks have a simple tension spring on the bolt inside the boom.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is no tension spring anymore as most mfg.s got away from that. Generally they were found on booms that were designed for boom furling but was alot of trouble.

on the pop rivets, get a drill bit that is 1 size smaller than the pop rivet and drill out that pop rivet. Then take off and tighten and install new pop rivets. IF you are worried, ask a friend to do that for you and have a cup of coffee in hand.

Sep 28, 2008
There is no tension spring anymore as most mfg.s got away from that. Generally they were found on booms that were designed for boom furling but was alot of trouble.

on the pop rivets, get a drill bit that is 1 size smaller than the pop rivet and drill out that pop rivet. Then take off and tighten and install new pop rivets. IF you are worried, ask a friend to do that for you and have a cup of coffee in hand.

Thanks, Dave, for the advice and encouragement. I should be able to handle it.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.