H-34 Fixed Ports Rebuilt

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Shamelessly copied Allan's idea to replace the old embrittled fixed ports on the cabin side. First got new 1/4" plexiglass cut to cover both openings then primed the bond area with 3M 94 Primer then applied a 1" wide strip of black 3M VHB .. Took off old frames and glass and cleaned and sanded then black-painted anything white that might show through the glass; then primed the bond area on the cabin side. Hot glued small blocks to the cabin side to guide the plexi into position since there is NO movement after the tape sticks.. Stuck the glass down then removed the blocks and hot glue remnants. Masked and then caulked all around with black Dow 795.. I am happy with the outcome.. The old nasty two windows and frames on each side are now one.

IMG_0492.JPGIMG_0506.JPGIMG_0498.JPG

:banghead:

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Looks real good Claude. That is on my projects list and I too will shamelessy copy Allan's idea ? What did you do inside ?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Inside, I took off the interior trim and painted the outward edges flat black. I painted the edges of the opening flat black as well so that you can't see the gap between the interior frame and the opening. The parts that you see from the inside are white.. Allan mentioned that I should do that. The outside of the separator between the windows was painted black and a small edge around the opening that would not be covered by the 1" wide black VHB tape.
IMG_0510.JPG

Last edited: