H-30 vs H-33 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Bodemann

I was thinking that I might as well move up to a 33 after selling our 27 but after looking at a 33 I'm not so sure. Dish rack in front of a portlight!? Poor location of the elect. panel and last but most important....Where can a 6'3" man sleep on this thing? So now I look at the 30 which is just a larger version of my old 27. I'll do another BIG Bed mod and I'm good. Interested to hear from those that are familiar with both boats. Don PS: Can you believe I looked at a C-30...what was I thinking!

J

Jim O'Brien

no problem stretching

I am almost 6'1" and I have no problem stretching out in my h33 V-berth. 6'3" is a problem standing, nerver mind reposing!

S

Sam Lust

Options?

Question seems kind of siple to me. 33's go for only slightly more money than 30's for some reason, but do provide considerably more living space. I find the layout convenient considering the era and design influences, and I believe the Catalina 30 derived from the same influences. At 5'10" I have absolutely no problem with headroom. My 6'2" friend has never hit his head either. I generaly use the Starboard settee with no problems, lots of room for feet to hang off. I think the quarter berth would serve you, especialy with the silly filler panel at the foot removed. Easily modified to accomodate a 7 footer. As to the location of the electrical panel? Absolutely absurd. But absurd is not an uncommon word in discussions of Hunter design. How did they figure it would be OK for a 50 year old (probably the average age of a typical owner of this sort of boat)to kneel down on shakey knees, tilt his head back to peer through the bifocals and try to identify the desired switch from an angle. I'm currently in the process of moving the panel, with additions, to the bulkhead over the quarter berth. More switches, volt meter, lots of fuses. You're welcome to come down and take a look at it when you're in the area. For that matter spend a day on it with us this summer. How better to get to know a boat? I think your biggest problem might be finding one within a reasonable distance. I rarely see them come up used. There seem to be more available in Connecticut and Maryland. samlust@monmouth.com

S

Steven Buck

6'3", Its a Fit

Submitted by Steven Buck, Buck's Harbor, Maine on 3/20/00 at 10.44 pm regarding room on a 33. Hey Don, I'm 6'3" and have sailed aboard my 33 for the last 6 years without problems with either head room or sleeping room. My wife and I sleep in the V-Berth all season and find the space comfortable. I consindered a 30 in my search for my 33 and have always been very satisfied in my choice having sailed aboard both boats. the 33 is a fast and stable hull very well adapted to single-handing, a must for us short handed sailors with two small children. I'm new to the forum but will try to contribute often now that I have located this site. Steve.

T

Tom M.

hunter & catalina 30's big brothers to the 27's

The 33 80 to 82 is your best bet, yea cheribini blew in on those panels on alotr of boats, but the 33 is longer, sleek, and has the same beam, John designed it for his family, the panel, I moved to the port side of the nav sta. where i can see the switches clearly, the 33 is a faster boat than the 30, with no skeg, the skeg on the 30 is liken to a tit on a bull, good luck with your choise

Status
Not open for further replies.