H 30 cockpit portlights.

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter Legend 30 Poole Dorset UK
Trying to get additional tension on locking catches as screw threads on max travel. would it be feasible to shorten thread with a Dremel or similar? As I am new to the boat does the frame split in two in order to cut the thread off the boat?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Your gasket is compressed and should be replaced. This site store has the proper gaskets ..
but, to answer your question,
The threaded bolt (not the toggle) can be removed by gently/carefully driving the pivot pin out of the frame, horizontally. It is easy to crack the pin support, so be very careful if you decide to do that.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Man, my gaskets are really old and pretty flat and I have a bunch of thread remaining . Not to be insulting but considering the pictures, I wanted to confirm your cam’ing the knobs down and not just tightening the knobs on the thread? My wife did this not knowing how they worked.

• Helpful
Jul 26, 2020
Man, my gaskets are really old and pretty flat and I have a bunch of thread remaining . Not to be insulting but considering the pictures, I wanted to confirm your cam’ing the knobs down and not just tightening the knobs on the thread? My wife did this not knowing how they worked.
Interesting reply, you are probably right. I did think that “cam’ing the knobs was the way to go but couldn’t figure it out. Can you please elaborate on the procedure?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think @MikeHoncho is referring to the second picture where the cams are not flipped down. With the knob/cam screwed in properly, flipping the cam over should tension the window securely.

• Helpful
Nov 23, 2015
Hunter 33 Coconut Grove
1613397283461.png
The threads are exposed when the port is open (far right picture). When you close the port, the threads will be covered by the plastic pieces on each side. The cam is then pressed down firmly to close and seal the port. I would advise not touching those threads. Typically the problem as MikeHoncho noted is that the cam has not been pressed down in position.

Jul 26, 2020
View attachment 190382 The threads are exposed when the port is open (far right picture). When you close the port, the threads will be covered by the plastic pieces on each side. The cam is then pressed down firmly to close and seal the port. I would advise not touching those threads. Typically the problem as MikeHoncho noted is that the cam has not been pressed down in position.
I am very grateful to those who have responded, the illustration is just what I needed. Very simple once you have had it explained.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You use the threads to get the right, final pressure on the hatch After you flip the plastic toggle/cam which applies The majority of the tension. Glad to help.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You use the threads to get the right, final pressure on the hatch After you flip the plastic toggle/cam which applies The majority of the tension. Glad to help.
To add to @MikeHoncho's comment, as the gasket wears and collapses, tension needs to be increased. Eventually the gasket becomes too warn and the dogs can no longer be tightened enough to keep the water out. The only solution then is to replace the gaskets.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
One caution...
Test your 'tightening' gingerly before you engage the cam. If you over tighten, then lock it down, you could break the plastic at the hinges or at the pin mount or even the lens!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Mike, our boat has the same Bomar port lights as yours. Before replacing the gaskets, consider cleaning them with a soft tooth brush and warm soapy water. Rinse then apply a good coat of silicone liquid/gel. I apply it with my finger and rub it into the gasket. Swimming pool supply stores carry the stuff for lubricating valve seals and 'O"rings.

When closing the port light I turn the cam lock to the point that I can still close the cam, then give it a bit more (quarter turn) of a twist making the seal tighter. Our 1991 port lights still seal and when one begins to leak, I do the above procedure to stop the leak.

If that does not solve the problem, then new gaskets are probably in order.

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I hated those cams...

I replaced all of mine with these knobs from Amazon (currently unavailable from the supplier I used in 2018)..

DimcoGray Black Phenolic 4 Prong Knob Female, Thru Hole Brass Insert: 1/4-20" Thread x 1/2" Depth, 1-1/4" Diameter x 7/8" Height x 5/8" Hub Dia x 3/8 Hub Length (Pack of 10)

As others have said, also be sure to clean the lens and gasket with some warm soapy water, and use some silicone grease on the gasket.

If you blow this up, you can see them installed on the portlight...

IMG_0051.jpg

Greg

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
hmm, Bomar. thought they looked like Beckson but same concept on tightening.