H 29.5 Fuel system

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
There have been some discussions of fuel tanks, filters, etc., in recent months, and since I recently had a problem with mine I read all the posts I could find going back several years. All very good advice and helped me service mine.

So, I am going to post my experience with the H 29.5 w/2GM20F engine.

Had the boat a couple of years and the engine ran fine until a two days ago. Engine began losing power and then recovering and finally as we motored into port it would not run above 1200 RPM. Fuel filter change needed!

I did not know where the fuel tank was located and did not know if there was an in-line (Primary) filter installed. I did know where the engine (Secondary) fuel filter was located because I had recently replaced the seawater impeller and the molded line from pump to heat exchanger. There were spare filters on board from PO.

Following the fuel lines from the engine aft below the aft bunk I did find a Racor 110A filter. The lines led aft thru the bulkhead at the rear of the bunk. I removed two vertical strips of teak (six screws each) and removed a small panel and found access to the fuel tank on the port side and the holding tank starboard. Photo is looking aft so fuel tank is on right side of pic.

Two lines attach to the tank at the top, fwd inboard corner. the supply line has a shutoff valve, the return line does not. I closed the s/o valve and then drained the Racor filter into a shallow pan. Just an inch between bottom of filter and hull. Drained a little water and a lot of crud as expected. Attempted to spin filter housing off to replace filter element. Not budging. Had to hold top of filter w/ pipe wrench and use long ⅝" box wrench to spin housing off filter.

What a mess! I have never seen a fuel filter so full of crud as this one. I have no idea how the engine ran as well as it did. The filter element was stuck in the housing. A slim punch inserted thru the drain plug hole pushed the filter element out. I cleaned the housing and installed the new element. There is an o-ring that fits in a groove in the bottom of the element. I lubed the o-ring and element base with engine oil and filled the filter with fuel. I replaced the o-ring in the filter body and reinstalled and opened the s/o valve.

I replaced the secondary filter element filling it w/fuel, too. Engine started and ran fine w/o having to bleed lines, etc.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Yipes ........................

....................... got to ask if you paid extra for the crud in your fuel :eek: ?

I think the most important thing here is to determine where the crud is coming from before the plugged filter happens again. Dirty fuel supply, water in the fuel, or just not living right.

I'm not the best example here as I don't check my primary filter regularly. What I do check for regularly is water and crud in the fuel tank. That and using Biobor diesel biocide. So far, no problems.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
....................... got to ask if you paid extra for the crud in your fuel :eek: ?

I think the most important thing here is to determine where the crud is coming from before the plugged filter happens again. Dirty fuel supply, water in the fuel, or just not living right.

I'm not the best example here as I don't check my primary filter regularly. What I do check for regularly is water and crud in the fuel tank. That and using Biobor diesel biocide. So far, no problems.
I think the crud was included in the purchase price of the boat... LOL

Since I have added only very clean fuel, the crud is in the bottom of the tank. My intention is to regularly drain the primary filter, now that I know there is one, add a biocide and change the filters as necessary. Cleaning out the tank is going to have to wait until cooler wx. Even with a fan blowing air into the aft berth area it was a very hot job. Now that I know just what tools are required I will be able to drain/change the filter quickly.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Since I have added only very clean fuel, the crud is in the bottom of the tank. Cleaning out the tank is going to have to wait until cooler wx.
Someday when you have absolutely, positively, nothing better to do (including watching paint dry :zzz:) you could consider installing a small entry point (3/8" dia.) into the top of your fuel tank.

I drilled one years ago and cover it with a tiny, machined, blind flange and then use my Pela manual oil extractor to insert a tube and vacuum the bottom of the tank. With the shape of the tank, the low spot is towards the centre of the boat and occasionally I get a few drops of black water coming up from there.