H 23 racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2007
C&C 37 Plus East Greenwich RI
I recently purchased a 1986 Hunter 23. I will be racing the boat in local PHRF. The bottom is now slick. Any advice on improving performance would be appreciated.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Weight is a critical issue. Off load as much 'stuff' as possible (you'll get many hundreds of pounds). Empty the tanks. Tune the rig for best performance. Don't expect the marina that put your mast up tuned the rig, I promise you they didn't.

Nov 13, 2007
The bottom is very smooth, moved the battery to the stbd most forward access under the settee, a 2 HP 4 stroke Honda & stripped out everything possible. Now I'm looking for sails. North seems to have a radial polyester paneled sail what won't cost me a time penalty like a molded or mylar/Kevlar sail would.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
You're definitely on the right track. Find a couple of good crew and go practice tacking and gybing. Your goal is to loose no more than one knot of boat speed in any tack or gybe. Then practice spinnaker launch and douse. You will also want to practice hitting the start line at full speed just as the gun sounds.

Oct 29, 2010
Hunter 36 Pensacola
I had a H23 and had alot of fun. Don't be afraid to dip a rail. alan has good points. Make sure you are up on the rules of racing. Good luck

Nov 13, 2007
This is the first frac rigged boat I've owned. We only got to do one race last season. 19 boats & we pulled a 3rd. That is with a good bottom & junk sails. New North sails will be here by spring. In that one race I don't think the fleet expected much from us. Surprise! I do not believe I'll get away with that again. Anyway to the point. I've always had masthead rigs & went dead down wind. What do you do with these H 23's? Symmetrical or Asymmetrical? Thanks,
Michael

Nov 13, 2007
While I'm on a roll. Being I have to install a spin halyard, blocks etc, has anyone considered having the spin halyard exit the mast at the masthead like the Beneteau first 235? And its PHRF consequence?
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.