H 23.5 Reefing Points

JDE

Jun 6, 2019
Hunter 23.5 As many as possible
I’m planning a few modifications to my new 23.5 and would like to add a second reef point and a jib furler. I’m a little fascinated with the whole “tender” issue with this boat and see it as a challenge I’d like to master. Why blame the boat if you can just trim your sails appropriately?

My question is this, at what location are recommended reefing points as measured along the luff and above the boom. My current mainsail has one set fairly high up at about 5 feet (going from recollection) and I've read that some have added a point at about 24 inches. So, if given the choice, where would you place the two reefing points. I’m a somewhat new/conservative sailor and want options for calm sailing with my young family.

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
not worth the expense, for either.

The Original reefing point (assuming you your sail is original or like the original) is deep enough you do not need an additional reefing point.
The jib not large enough to furl in and make a difference, if you are seeking the added convenience of a furled jib look into a yankee bag to keep the jib on the deck and simply hoist it up when you go out. If you trailer your boat and raise the mast each time you sail the furler is really not worth the added expense or effort.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
My story is a bit embarrassing but I had just taken up sailing when I bought my 23.5. During the first year I found the boat very tender so towards the end of our sailing season I took the main to get a 2nd reef point added. The guy refused, saying the the exiting one was already in the position of a 2nd reef point (as you already know). I eventually realized that the ballast tank was only partially filled and that was my problem. With a full tank and more experience I've had no problems.

I mostly single hand so I do love my furler. I only occasionally roll up the jib part way. When the winds are too strong I roll it up completely and sail on the reefed main only. My boat is in a marina slip and during the winter it's on the trailer with the mast up, so I don't have any extra effort that a day launcher would have.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
A lot said as to wether or not you are trailering a lot. Suggest the FF2 system by CDI. How old is your main and too old may need replacing as it could be worn out.

Suggest max heel 12-14 degrees controlled by trimming, reefing main, and use of furling. I taught my customers this since introducing the boat in 1991 for model year 1992 and with last built in 1997 when replaced by the 240.