Gunwale Drain

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have consistent water sitting in my gunwale in the area of the after mooring cleat. Had anyone added drains or is there a tried and true fix for this?
20180914_183036.jpg

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I feel your pain. I have the same issue on my '77 h30. In '79 or '80 they put a drain in the lowest area and piped it to a thru-hull about a foot from the toe rail. I've often thought about doing that, just haven't gotten around to it.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I was thinking about putting drains in and plumbing them to the cockpit scupper drain.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I feel your pain. I have the same issue on my '77 h30. In '79 or '80 they put a drain in the lowest area and piped it to a thru-hull about a foot from the toe rail. I've often thought about doing that, just haven't gotten around to it.
I have those drains on my ‘82 H30. They’re near the genoa winches. Water still sits on the deck aft of the drains. More on the port side than on starboard.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Now all you need is to buy some time. Time is expensive, but it goes hand in hand with owning a round tuit and is so worth it. You might want to look into getting an up tuit as well.

If water is collecting that far aft along the gunwalls, check your boat's trim in the water. That may be perfect for your boat, straight sheer on newer boat designs are often like that, but the camber in your deck with the width amidship makes the low spot more often just aft of midships.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
It's a little bit of a problem on my Cherubini Hunter 36. But not so much that it's any bother. One item that I have noticed through the years is that the hose connecting the drain and the thru-hull readily collects debris. Periodically, certainly when I notice it's draining slowly, I put the water hose nozzle into the thru-hull opening to blast out the clog. Easy to do while washing down the boat. Just be sure that the hose is well clamped on both ends!

Jan 19, 2018
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake, NY
I have a 1980 Cherubini 30 with the deck drain. You're not missing anything.
IMG_8110.JPG

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
@Mohawk Jack, a friend of mine has an '80 h30 with the factory drain. Deck looks like your's and mine. Dirt runs down with the water, the water doesn't totally drain, then evaporates leaving a mess to clean up. Just an exercise in futility. Plus, it leaves an ugly stain down the top side. Probably why it's low on the to-do list, even though I am now the proud owner of a Round Tuit. :) But, that Round Tuit will not go for naught as there are a multitude of other chores that I will use it for.

Jan 19, 2018
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake, NY
I love to sail my boat more than I like to scrub the decks. I can't see that part of the deck while I'm sailing so it really doesn't bother me until I either get on or get off. My ToDo list is never lacking so I feel your pain. Don't spend your Round Tuit all in one place.