Gunnel corrosion

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
PXL_20210926_171621946.MP.jpg
PXL_20210925_234622733.jpg
PXL_20210926_171721696.MP.jpg
I'm going to guess that gunnel should be sealed and the water should run off the back. Mine is showing corrosion, it drips forever after a rain and intrusion, so I'm guessing that this is deferred maintenance and I'm dealing not only hurricane damage but neglect from a previous owner.

I'm thinking that I need to strip the hardware to find out what I'm dealing with. does that sound right?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The 2nd photo of the stancion base and deck looks pretty ugly. Hard to tell if the deck is significantly deteriorated (but it looks bad).

The deck and hull joint is usually sealed with some sort of sealant when the boat is constructed, and the joint is held together with bolts or screws all along the deck. The aluminum toe rail is often incorporated into this seam…

here is the design for my O’Day 322 : in my case, the aluminum rub rail is bolted on, thru the hull/deck joint And the toe rail is just bolted down through the deck.

5292A694-7F41-41A2-94B3-A895D7F40631.png

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I'm thinking that I need to strip the hardware to find out what I'm dealing with. does that sound right?
If you remove the stanchion base & toe rail, may as well replace the damaged toe rail also. You should be able to order a toe rail section from Beneteau spare parts in Marion, SC. Unusual corrosion for that location.

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
The 2nd photo of the stancion base and deck looks pretty ugly. Hard to tell if the deck is significantly deteriorated (but it looks bad).

The deck and hull joint is usually sealed with some sort of sealant when the boat is constructed, and the joint is held together with bolts or screws all along the deck. The aluminum toe rail is often incorporated into this seam…

here is the design for my O’Day 322 : in my case, the aluminum rub rail is bolted on, thru the hull/deck joint And the toe rail is just bolted down through the deck.

View attachment 198645

Greg
If you remove the stanchion base & toe rail, may as well replace the damaged toe rail also. You should be able to order a toe rail section from Beneteau spare parts in Marion, SC. Unusual corrosion for that location.
I'm just being ornery about a new can worms. I was making good progress on the splash to do list but I'm already deep into this so I might as well do it right.