Gulfport, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I saw with interest the thread about relocating to the Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor area, and the informative replies. My wife and I presently live in Slidell, LA and have made a hobby of visiting possible retirement destinations. We recently stopped by Gulfport, FL and my wife really liked the small-town, beachy atmosphere, with the shops and restaurants and all. We also took a look at the marina facilities (and housing, naturally.) Does anybody on this board live in the area and have any insight for us, something that would not be apparent on a short visit? Thanks for any info.

PS to the inquiry about elevation when living on a canal. We're on a canal, the bottom living floor of our house is about ten feet off the ground, and in Katrina the water came up to nine feet. You can't have too much elevation.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Gulfport had a bad rep for cruising boats. Took bold steps to change that. Now appear to welcome them. When we were there, wait list was several years for a slip.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
We have a group that day-sails out of Gulfport Marina every other week. The marina is very protected and with the economy as it is, there are a number of slips available. And the City of Gulfport is asking permission from the state to put in 50 moorings off the city beaches. We had an SSCA gathering there last year and the Mayor and many council members welcomed us to the city. Gulfport is acting like a city that is a good place for boating. We have lived in Clearwater for 15 years and like all of the activities in the Tampa Bay area. Bay, Intercoastal and Gulf sailing - what is not to like?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Our sail club from Punta Gorda (PGSCweb.com), is currently in the Gulfport area on our spring cruise. This is an excerpt from an email they sent.
"Sunday bright and early we met via radio at 9:00 and decided that it was another perfect day and our destination was Gulfport (just north of Tampa Bay). So, we motored through the ICW and that dumped us out into Tampa Bay where we were able to open our sails, cut our engines and sail across the bay. It was just PERFECT! Soft gentle breeze, small ripples of waves slapping the hull, sea gulls flying, dolphins greeting us and the kiss of bright sunshine. Ahhhh...but I digress.

We arrived in Gulfport, set anchor and went ashore for dinner. We ate at an absolutely gorgeous restaurant named La Cote Basque Winehouse. (French & Continental cuisine. Family owned & operated over 30 years. The ambiance is, well what can I call it, early 30's brothel. Very dim lights, very classy gaudy, very quiet and the food is absolutely to die for. We walked about the main street and then back to our boats with a promise to Gulfport to come back today!

Monday, another radio check at 9:00 and found that Wanker was in the middle of "boat maintenance" to their head. We don't have many more details on that yet. Jammin wasn't quite ready to come ashore, but team JourneyOn were raring to go. After a light breakfast, we had a date to come ashore to Java Nirvana Cafe "Coffee roaster and cafe, desserts, beer, wine, breakfast sandwiches, paninis and wraps." However, we were after a cup of "house blend" coffee and a white chocolate, raspberry scone to share. Outside table with an umbrella and a chance to soak up some local ambiance.

Gulfport is a picturesque town (not that you could tell by all the pictures we haven't taken). We've walked all over town today, found the library, hardware store, bank, chamber of commerce, and lots of yummy places to eat dinner. (Wanker has a restaurant picked out for this evening, but haven't shared with us where we will be dining.)"

This is the second time our club has visited Gulfport. They really enjoy the facilities. Next year I'll be able to make the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.