Gulf ICW Bridge Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
Re: MM 361 Bridge is 65'

Rick,
I hate to be a techno idiot, but how do I email you through the site?
Ron

Oct 11, 2009
Lazyjack Schooner Fairhope, AL
Ron, just click on Rick's name next to one of his emails, that will open up a window with a link to send him a message.

The advice re: inlets in/out of Apalachicola Bay is correct: the inlet to the far west is too shoal to use; and the one due south of Apalachicola (known as Government Cut) tends to fill in so can be tricky. The better passages are out by Dog Island. There is also an anchorage on the north shore of Dog Island you can spend a night in and then jump off for Cedar Keys, Anclote or Clearwater, it will shave about 3-4 hours off travel time rather than starting out of Apalachicola for the jump. Also I'd advise against using the marked anchorage at Apalachicola, which is out in the bay south of town; it's very exposed and the times we've been there (on shore, not on the hook) it's been pretty bouncy.

Mike Turner
Lazyjack 32 schooner "Mary'Lis"
Mobile Bay, Alabama

Aug 14, 2011
Frankyh 4 london
This discussion was very useful for me. I will surely make the trip and have a much better idea of ​​what to expect now.few days before starting to change things around your site.

Sep 21, 2011
Beneteau 373 Marina Del Rey, CA
Mike, I had my boat at Turner Marine while it was being sold (Beneteau 373). Also kept it at Bear Point off Perdido Bay. No problems getting under the bridge at Perdido, but air draft is 49'. We had no issues going from Mobile to Bear Point, but east of Bear Point, there are bridges that kept us from staying in the ICW. It's been a while, but we had to go to Panama City to move the boat from Shalimar in the Choctawhatchee Bay over to Bear Point.

Part of the price of having a sailboat I guess! :)

Yeah, I'm late to the game, but I miss my boat, which we sold a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.