Gulf ICW Bridge Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
I'm planning a trip from Mobile to Key West and want to use the Intracoastal Waterway as much as possible. I was studying the charts today and see two bridges that are marked as 50 foot vertical clearance. One is the Navarre Beach Causeway at Mile Marker 207 and the other is at Fort Walton Beach at Mile Marker 223. I need 51 feet.
How do tall rig boats do the Gulf ICW?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Agaliha

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Agaliha, We go outside whenever there is a bridge that will not allow us to pass. I beleive there is more than just two. You might get 51 feet at low tide but that is not a chance I would want to take and if you can't get under it will mean backtracking. We detailed our trip from Houston to the Keys on our Sea Trek site, start with this post, http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/2008/05/on-road-again-finally-50508.html and when you get to the bottom of the post click Newer Post for the next one. It will show you where we went inside and where we had to go outside. Hope it helps. Chuck

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Probably they don't. Check the depth of the channel and a tide table to see what additional clearance you may get at low tide. Heeling the boat may help you get another foot or two but that and timing the tide may be to much work if you are just passing through. Wait to hear from the locals as their first hand knowledge could be helpful.

Oct 11, 2009
Lazyjack Schooner Fairhope, AL
We came up last year from Hudson, FL (north of Tarpon Springs/Anclote Key) to home port on Mobile Bay. Our air draft is only 45' so we had no problems with either of these bridges.

That said, the local knowledge we were given was that these bridges are actually a tad shy of 50'. Anybody with an air draft of 48' or more is very, very careful on these routes, and most go outside.

Moreover, there has been some ongoing work on these bridges. Most recently we heard of a boat that got its mast hung up on nets hanging below the Navarre bridge.

Most of the guys at my yacht club, go outside at Pensacola and come back in at either Fort Walton Beach or Panama City to avoid these issues.

FYI, if you'd like any info on marinas and anchorages on the Mobile to Hudson portion of the trip, let me know.

Mike Turner
Lazyjack 32 schooner "Mary'Lis"
Mobile Bay, Alabama

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
With 50' air draft

I would strongly recommend going offshore from Pennsacola. East of there, bridges are gonna be very iffy for you. You can do a day hop from Pennsacola, over to Destin, and from there to Panama City or Port. St. Joe. You can run inside from Port St. Joe to Appalachicola. From Panama City or Port St. Joe, it is about a 48 hour run offshore over to Clearwater or Tampa Bay. You can probably get in farther north than Clearwater, but there is a lot of really skinny water up there. The offshore hop from Port St. Joe to Clearwater or Tampa is a very nice offshore run. I have done this several times. You didn't say when you were planning this trip, but be forewarned, from now till Sept. you are gonna get into thunderstorm activity almost every day. Florida is the lightning capital of the world during the summer. Don't want to discourage you, but just so you know what to expect. Also, if you go to Key West, take another few days, and make it over to the Tortugas. This is a don't miss place, and is one of the most peaceful and relaxing places I have ever been. There are plenty of anchorages and marinas in SW Fl., but the ICW can be very frustrating, as boat traffic is pretty heavy, and the bridges open only on scheduled times. Some every 20 minutes, some every 30. Most offshore hops are a nice easy day to the next entrance. For a lot of information, including anchorages and marinas, check out Cruisers Net. Enjoy.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Tarpon Springs

A must stop over is Tarpon Springs is a nice town to visit at the city Marina but call for a slip a head of time.
Charlotte Harbor also great place to stop among other SW Coast anchorages and Dry Tortugas but watch the weather for sure.
Nick

Sep 24, 2006
Great feedback

Thanks to all. Looks like there are five bridges on the Gulf ICW between Mobile and Carrabelle that are 50 feet or less. No wonder I have seen so few sailboats on the ICW in that region. Looks like I'll be going "outside" more than I thought.

Mike, I'd love to have your Marina suggestions.

Ron

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
What Time of Year are You Traveling?

51' can get you under the Navarre, Brooks (FWB) and Dupont Bridges (Panama City) in the winter especially after a couple of days of a north wind. It wil not get you under the Marler Bridge at the end of the Destin Pass and past Destin Harbor anytime of the year. Let me know if you have other questions about the area.

Oct 11, 2009
Ron, how are you planning to come into Mobile? Down the Ten-Tom?

Mike Turner
Mobile Bay, Alabama

Sep 24, 2006
Replies

Yes, Mike, I am planning to come down the TennTom.

The five bridges I have found that are 50 feet or less are:
Navarre Beach MM207
Brooks Bridge MM223
Hathaway MM285
Dupont MM295
Apalachiacola Bay MM 361

Agaliha

Oct 11, 2009
Yes, Mike, I am planning to come down the TennTom.

The five bridges I have found that are 50 feet or less are:
Navarre Beach MM207
Brooks Bridge MM223
Hathaway MM285
Dupont MM295
Apalachiacola Bay MM 361

Agaliha
My charts say the bridges at Apalachicola Bay (mid-bay and at the entrance to the river) at both 65 feet. The railroad bridge north on the river is a low bridge but it's a swing bridge, and normally open unless a train is coming thru.

I'll follow up with some info on marinas and anchorages - watch this space.

Mike Turner
Mobile Bay, Alabama

Oct 11, 2009
Mobile Bay and FL "Lost Coast" info

As you come down the Tensaw River, you’ll need to come through what locally they call Government Cut west into the Mobile River – sailboats can’t clear any of the bridges at the Mobile delta (I-10 and the Causeway), except for those on the Mobile River. There’s a large bridge at Africatown (so-called because it’s where the last load of African slaves to America, established a homestead after they escaped from the slave schooner that brought them into Mobile Sound) that has plenty of clearance, and I-10 goes thru a tunnel under the river.

Through Mobile proper there are no recreational marinas or service points, so make sure you’ve got plenty of fuel before you get into the Delta. Stay to the marked channels as you leave the Mobile River and enter Mobile Bay, depths come up quickly outside the channels.

Once you clear Mobile, on the western shore of Mobile Bay you’ll first come to the Dog River. There are two yacht clubs here (Mobile Yacht Club and Buccaneer Yacht Club), both have some transient docks if you’re a yacht club member. There are several marinas inside the river, including Sundowner, Turner’s (no relation; fuel and pump-out) and Grand Mariner. Transient rates in the entire area seem to run $45-50 a night for boats over 30’. There are good restaurants at Grand Mariner and also at the River Shack [on the south side of the river just after you pass under the Dog River Bridge (clearance 73’)] – I recommend the latter; you can tie up for lunch or dinner but there’s no overnight docking. For anchorage, continue upriver about a mile past Grand Mariner and anchor just off the middle of the river – be aware that there’s a fair amount of fishing boat traffic up through here. There are more anchorages further in but if you’re just passing through you probably don’t want to get too far out of the bay.

Continuing south along the west shore of the bay you’ll come to the Fowl River. You can’t clear this bridge with your air draft. There is some limited anchorage just to the east of the bridge – you’ll see some fair-sized boats moored out just south of the channel. There is also a restaurant on the north shore just east of the bridge that has some limited transient dockage.

There aren’t any other marinas or anchorages along the western shore until you get to Dauphin Island. At Dauphin Island, there are two small coves along the north shore of the island just to the west of the Dauphin Island Bridge – check the charts, it’s a long channel to get in there, with shallows all around and limited anchorage once you get inside. If you continue out the mouth of Mobile Bay, you can then turn west along the southern shore of Dauphin Island – there is an anchorage as the outer barrier island (Sand Island) comes up towards the main Dauphin Island shore. Watch for the golf course on Dauphin Island and anchor in the small cove before the barrier island comes up to the main shore.

Along the eastern shore of Mobile Bay, the Fairhope Yacht Club (my club) is on Fly Creek along with two marinas, Eastern Shore (fuel) and Fly Creek Marina. There’s a decent burger joint at Fly Creek, and a Mexican restaurant within walking distance, but not much else – it’s about 2 miles into Fairhope, the nearest town. No anchorages up here except in the bay off the beach in front of the yacht club, and then only if it’s absolutely calm, there’s no protection. For that matter, there are no anchorages period all along the eastern shore. Further south from Fly Creek is the Fairhope Municipal Marina, a man-made harbor that’s good for normal conditions but very exposed if it gets bouncy. Several good restaurants within walking distance. Further south is the marina at the Grand Hotel Resort (pump out), limited transient but can handle your size, nice restaurants at the resort.

East thru the ICW from the mouth of Mobile Bay, there’s a refurbished marina, Fort Morgan Marina, about 2 miles east of Fort Morgan Point. Look for the large “boatel” storage building, and be sure to stay to the marked channel going into the marina. Transient fees are $35/night below 24’, $45/night above that, extra for electric. This marina is somewhat exposed in western winds. I noticed on the chart that immediately east of this marina’s man-made harbor, depths are about 6’, so good for anchoring. Within the marina, there’s a good restaurant for breakfast/lunch/dinner, “Tacky Jack’s 2,” and there’s also a new marina store for provisions, and restrooms/showers.

Further east is Navy Cove, another popular anchorage but exposed to north and west winds. As you reach the easternmost entrance to the ICW, exiting Mobile Bay, you can follow the marked channel that cuts to the north into the Bon Secour River. This is a very picturesque area, home to one of Mobile Bay’s last commercial fishing/crabbing fleets. Stay to the marked channel and go about one mile or so past the Bon Secour Fisheries – you can anchor in about 6-8’ of water immediately to the west of the last channel marker, I think it’s daymarker #37. When you first enter the river, there’s a cut off to the south – there’s a marina down there and I’m told a restaurant, although I haven’t been up in there. If you go up the main river, you can buy fresh seafood at Billy’s Seafood, you’ll see their buildings and can tie up at there docks.

Into the ICW there’s LuLu’s Homeport Marina and restaurant (this is Jimmy Buffet’s sister’s place, always jumping and good food). Fuel and pump-out at their docks along the ICW to the east of the restaurant. There’s a new marina further on, just entering into Big Lagoon, Barber Marina – brand new, floating concrete docks, fuel dock and pump-out station, a new marina store but no restaurant. Just east of Barber is Ingram Bayou, said to be one of the prettiest anchorages on this stretch of the ICW – good anchorage in the lower part of the bayou, and an all-weather hole in the upper part of the bayou. Beyond Ingram’s is Pirate’s Cove, a very popular stop for burgers – anchorage both out front of the restaurant, and in the bayou behind. which I also assume you’re familiar with (if not, a great place to stop for a burger). On the south side of the lagoon across from Pirate’s Cove is another popular marina, Bear Point (fuel and pump-out). A bit further east you’ll also come to another good marina at Perdido Key with a good restaurant, but be sure to follow the channels in.

There are plenty of people that can give you better advice on the section between Pensacola and Apalachicola than I can,we’ve so far only been through there one time. At Fort Walton Beach we stayed at Shalimar, good site but a bit of a hike north of the ICW. At Panama City I highly recommend the Panama City Public Marina (fuel, pump-out), very nice facility and walking distance to plenty of good restaurants, places to provision and marine supply stores. Below Panama City you can either stay in the ICW, or jump offshore in the Gulf to Port St Joe – good marina there (fuel, pump out, restaurant) and places to reprovision. Then back into the ICW to Apalachicola. At Apalachicola we stayed at Scipio Creek Marina, which I also recommend.

South of Apalachicola the standard practice is to head east either to Carrabelle or to the anchorage just north of Dog Island; and then jump off either for a 24 hour sail to Anclote Key, off Tarpon Springs; or 48 hours to Clearwater. There are limited marinas and anchorages along this whole stretch of the coast, and they all have to be accessed via very narrow, shallow and long channels that are bounded unforgiving limestone ridges. We looked into marinas at Steinhatchee on the Steinhatchee River, they looked good but our schedule changed and we didn’t put in there. We stayed at Suwanee, a cute old-Florida town on the Suwanee River – a couple of marinas and lots of anchorage opportunities but we came in at low tide and bumped bottom in the channel outside the mouth of the river.

Some folks day sail below Steinhatchee/Suwanee to Cedar Key to spend the night before jumping off to Anclote – not a bad plan but the channels can be tricky and the anchorages somewhat exposed; we by-passed it. Further below Suwanee we stayed at Yankeetown on the Withacoochee River but it’s quite a ways up the river from the Gulf. One can anchor up the Crystal River; and then there’s Hudson, where we bought our boat (another long channel but several good marinas and restaurants once you’re there), and then Anclote Key.

All that said, the next time we go that way we’re going to jump off from Carrabelle and go direct either to Cedar Key or on to Anclote Key. The only place I’d consider stopping again would be Suwanee, because we liked the little town – but there’s not much there. Frankly I might just bite the bullet and do the 48 hour jump from Carrabelle to Clearwater if the weather was good.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Mike Turner
Lazyjack 32 schooner “Mary’Lis”
Mobile Bay, Alambam

Jun 2, 2004
You May Need New Charts

Apalachicola, and the Hathaway bridge in Panama City have been more than fifty feet for quite a while.

Another thing to consider is joining a Yacht Club that is part of the GYA (Gulf Yachting Association) and or FCYC (Florida Coucil of Yacht Clubs) many are not expensive at all and you get great benefits at other clubs while cruising.

http://www.gya.org/

http://www.floridacouncilofyachtclubs.com/

Sep 24, 2006
Great info

Mike,
Thanks so much for the personal cruising guide. It's better than anything I have seen on Mobile Bay.
Rick,
The chart I'm using says 2004 so it is very possible that it is out of date. I'm particularly interested in the Apalachiacola Bay bridge at MM361 because going "outside" of St. George Island would be a long detour. Soes anyone have any more current data?

This thread has been very helpful to me. I'm definitely going to make the trip and have a much better idea of what to expect now.

Fair winds,
Agaliha

Sep 24, 2006
Mike,
Sorry I didn't read this carefully enough the first time. Looks like you have more current info showing that I can clear at MM361. Thank you!
Ron

Oct 11, 2009
Ron,

I'd suggest you try to get as up-to-date charts as possible, perhaps one of the electronic type or download some of the NOAA ones from the Internet. The reason I say this is, I bought electronic charts in late 2009 for use in our 2010 trip up, and made the mistake of not updating them, figuring they were current. When we came up through Panama City, there were overhead cables running across the bay east of Panama City, where the chart simply said "cable area," not the clearance of the cables or where to cross them (the channel wasn't marked at this point). So, we had to guess where the cables were high enough off the water to clear them, which was a little nerve wracking.

If your charts are from 2004, there have been several hurricanes in through here that affected the area, particularly Katrina and Ivan; and there has been some bridge construction.

Be sure to let us know when you're coming down, maybe some of us can meet up.

Rick's suggestion re: yacht clubs is a good one. If you're already a member of a club up your way, many of the GYA clubs will extend club priviledges (for example, Fairhope does since we tend to host a lot of "loopers" in here through here), although they may not do reciprocal charging (i.e., you have to pay direct, not back through your club). If you want to join a club down here as an out-of-towner, you might check into Point Yacht Club over in Josephine, their fees tend to be a little lower since they don't have a clubhouse.

Mike Turner
Mobile Bay, Alabama

Jun 2, 2004
MM 361 Bridge is 65'

I would not consider going out of the cut in Appalachicola it shoals severely go on towards Carabelle and out the East Pass next to Dog Island.

Shoot me an email through this site and I'll give you my number. I'm too lazy to type all I could tell you about the trip.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Best info

The best and most current info. I find is on cruisersnet.net. Very up to date info there, on bridges, fuel prices, marinas and anchorages. But you basically can't go east from Pennsacola, in the ICW, till you get to Port. St. Joe. I agree on going out from Appalachicola, good chance of running aground there. Your best bet is to head east offshore from either Pennsacola, or maybe Port St.Joe or Carrabelle. Short hops are possible between Pennsacola, Destin, Panama City, and Port. St. Joe. It is a really nice sail across this part of the gulf. The farther east you go, the better you chances of having good wind direction. Predominate winds this time of year are east and s.east.

Status
Not open for further replies.