Gulf Coast, AL to FL Panhandle Move

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My wife and I are thinking of moving my Catalina 310 from Lake Guntersville to a gulf location. The thoughts were to put it someplace between AL and FL panhandle with good sailing access and easy beach day by car. The boat would be basically our 'beach condo' to stay on and sail on good days of course. Any recommendations on marinas, or avoid? My current slip is $255 / month so I know it will go up, we want nice area, with some good accommodations, basically we would be down once a month for a long weekend to enjoy it and the gulf area.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Oh, Yeah. Prices will go up. My slip in Pensacola is north of $500. We are tucked away in Bayou Chico and fairly well protected. After Hurricane Sally in 2020, slips are difficult to locate.

Personal Knowledge:

We spent three days on a weekend at Bear Point Marina in Orange Beach. Sportfishermen go past this marina headed to the gulf and make the marina rolly.

Barber's Marina in Elberta, AL used to have a breakwater but Hurricane Sally......

Big Lagoon has several marinas on the north side only because the south side is a National Park. But these are also along the path to the gulf for sportfishermen so you need a marina with a breakwater of some sort.

If you find a slip in Bayou Chico, try to get one close to shore. Pensacola Shipyard is building a dry stack for FIVE HUNDRED boats of 50 foot or less and I expect traffic to get worse as people have various ideas of "No Wake".

We stayed in a marina on the Fly River in Mobile Bay for a while. Huge amount of water to sail in but it reminded us of Galveston Bay. Between the Mobile River and the ship traffic, the bay stays roiled up and dirty.

I know of a couple of other marinas but I have not visited them so I won't give an opinion of them.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Any ideas about Gulf Shores or Orange Beach AL area?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Forget about anything east of Fort Walton. Marinas are still not rebuilt from Michael. Slips are in very high demand in the Fort Walton area as well. Slip fees will be easily above 150% to 200% of what you are paying now.

Do consider broadening your search out to Gulfport and Bay St Louis in Mississippi.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Look around Orange Beach, Josephine, Bear point Pirate's Cove areas Good sailing around in Wolfs Bay and a fairly easy out to the Gulf from Perdido Pass.. There are some good places on the Mississippi coast as well, but many require that boats be removed if a hurricane approaches.. Sailing out to the Islands off Mississippi is fun..

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL