Guide-on assist for trailer....

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Central Florida
Now that the refit is nearing "completion", I am starting work on a trailer I picked up for $500. An essential piece of equipment is guide bars (which I have) but they only do so much. With the weight of the boat and windy conditions it's easy for the boat to move off center before it's pulled up the ramp.

I created this system with a few 2x8's and some 1 1/2" PVC.

I haven't water tested it yet but I'll let you know if it is a fail.

Mike
IMG-0832.JPG

IMG-0835.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Now that the refit is nearing "completion", I am starting work on a trailer I picked up for $500. An essential piece of equipment is guide bars (which I have) but they only do so much. With the weight of the boat and windy conditions it's easy for the boat to move off center before it's pulled up the ramp.

I created this system with a few 2x8's and some 1 1/2" PVC.

I haven't water tested it yet but I'll let you know if it is a fail.

MikeView attachment 188212
I have a set of vertical poles near the rear of the trailer that also help. I’ve been thinking of adding another set close to the bow. If I’m a little deep there is some tendency for the boat to “drift” :)

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That's some creative work - looks good. How did you bolt the lengthwise ends of the PVC to the 2 steel uprights? Run the bolt through a PVC endcap?

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
That's some creative work - looks good. How did you bolt the lengthwise ends of the PVC to the 2 steel uprights? Run the bolt through a PVC endcap?
The open end of the PVC just floats around a 6" stainless bolt thru bolted through the upright. Provides a little give as the keel centers up.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The previous owner of my 216 added a wide roller ( from your photo right where the butt end of the 2x8 skid plate). If the trailer is in just a little bit shallow the centreboard will easily roll “up” onto the board you have and then continue to slide on the wet wood.

031F1F2F-EC68-4CBB-BEC4-78C5C698EB87.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
The previous owner of my 216 added a wide roller ( from your photo right where the butt end of the 2x6 skid plate). If the trailer is in just a little bit shallow the centreboard will easily roll “up” onto the board you have and then continue to slide on the wet wood.
Great idea!

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
If your ramp is perfectly level that roller for the keel will work. If your ramp has a slope to it, the keel will float above it till you pull the trailer out of the water.

Remove roller and mount up near the bow to help lift the bow out of the water and sink the stern, so the hull is closer to the angle of the trailer on the ramp.

When you pull the boat and trailer out of the water. The stern, floating high above the back end of the trailer bunks will come down and lift the bow up and away from the trailer winch. This is when guys will use the brake and slide idea to move the hull forward on the trailer. By lifting the bow up to the winch with the use of a bow roller on your trailer, you will eliminate most of this lift.

The photo with the roller is my boat, and the roller is locater 1/3 of the distance from the winch to the front end of the trailer bunks. Notice the gap between the roller and the hull, this is the extra lift the bow gets when the stern sits down on the rear end of the trailer bunks. It also, lifts the hull up over the front ends of the trailer bunks reducing the friction and the stress on the hull’s bow eye.

Another photo shows a trailer with a small ramp and a roller to accomplish the same idea.

The third photo shows the keel guides up next to the hull, which is the best location for them, after experiencing 30 years of launching and recovering sailboats.

Attachments

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
When you pull the boat and trailer out of the water. The stern, floating high above the back end of the trailer bunks will come down and lift the bow up and away from the trailer winch. This is when guys will use the brake and slide idea to move the hull forward on the trailer. By lifting the bow up to the winch with the use of a bow roller on your trailer, you will eliminate most of this lift.
Makes sense to me.....

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I too have used a wide (stoltz) roller and pad -- fairly effective for my purposes. As noted by @watercolors II alignment is the trick with the stern floating on the ramp-- but the simple side PVC guides by smith have kept me all but a lines tug away from dead center.

IMG_0166 (1).JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The third photo shows the keel guides up next to the hull, which is the best location for them, after experiencing 30 years of launching and recovering sailboats.
I zoomed your photo a bit and am curious about how challenging it is to get the keel lined up that precisely? :)

EE7BE35C-50E6-4979-9B27-7388A5DEF138.jpeg

The wedge shaped entry the OP chose would seem to present an easier target. :)

I agree that its best if you can float the boat almost completely into its final resting place but a wide variation in boat ramps, water levels etc makes that challenging. For example in 2017 and again in 2019 Lake Ontario water levels were exceptionally high. The boat ramps available to me start with a relatively level slope and then get steeper. Works fine in “normal” conditions but in those years it was a challenge to get the trailer in deep enough water to easily float the boat on-off. That rear roller on my trailer was a big aid. :)

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
The front edge of your keel is 1/3 of the hull length back from the bow eye. With a wider entrance on your guides at the rear will allow the hull to self center as it is moved forward on the trailer. That 1/3 of hull distance is lots of length for the keel to be exact center at it’s rear end in the wider part of the keel guide, if the front of the guides is tight fitting to the keel.

Make sure you use tie down straps on the stern to the trailer to keep the stern from walking sideways when towing down the highway

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
As for straps, I recommend 1.5-2" straps. I originally had two 1" straps connected together when towing my Starwind 19. When I upgraded to a single 1.5-2" strap I was able to notice a difference when towing. It felt more stable