Guest stick man

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
I was recently invited to race on another boat in a major regatta. Great fun but surprised when I showed up that I was invited to drive. OK. Crew was good and owner an experienced racer. First thing I noticed that the helm was way heavier than my J/92. It reacted about the same but loaded up a lot more. We did 2 races. One, a 14mile around the islands race, and the other a 4 mile windward leeward. It was fun just having to steer and only having to communicate with the spinnaker trimmers. The owner called tactics and made small adjustments. It must have worked as we had a second and a first in a very competitive spinnaker class. My steering technique came in handy in the A sail gybes. Something I learned the hard way in my early days steering my boat. I learned a few things on some tactics and had a great time.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Fun! What boat and regatta???

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Mirage 338. I-LYA Bay Week at Put in Bay. Tight class- Soverel 33, Hobie 33, Evelyn 32,J/105,N/M 30 Custom and 2 Mirage 33s. These aren't the Canadian Mirages. Different design and light, built in Florida by a different Mirage.