Gudgeon replacement

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
My gudgeons are pretty worn and sloppy. next winter I am considering replacing. Looking at the top gudgeon it looks like one has to cut an access hole to get at the nuts and .... backing plate. I really do not like this idea. How about just drilling all the way through and using longer bolts on the inside ( outside?) of the cockpit? Of course using care not to crush the hull and cockpit together when tightening.

I guess I will be able to get at the lower gudgeon without too much trouble.

Hershey

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Well;

I got this suggestion from the Capri 22 Facebook site.

Patrick Gudat You don't need to drill. There should be a bronze plate that has been tapped for the screws. There are no nuts. I was able to replace my gudgeons without having any access to that area.if you loosen up the bolts, you can do a trick where you'll always have two of the three bolts and the plate and therefore won't ever lose the plate.

Since I will have 6 months to work on the boat after I take her out in October, I'll try this first.

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Hershey said:
Well;

I got this suggestion from the Capri 22 Facebook site.

Patrick Gudat You don't need to drill. There should be a bronze plate that has been tapped for the screws. There are no nuts. I was able to replace my gudgeons without having any access to that area.if you loosen up the bolts, you can do a trick where you'll always have two of the three bolts and the plate and therefore won't ever lose the plate.

Since I will have 6 months to work on the boat after I take her out in October, I'll try this first.

Hershey
Good to know.....

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
I found this trick after doing a search on Gudgeon replacement Capri 22

"First thing is you need two 1/4" all thread rods. Take out the outer two bolts and replace with the all thread then take out the inner bolts. Slide off the gudgeon caulk the new gudgeon and slide it on the all thread replace the inner bolts and remove the all thread replace the outer bolts, project over! "

Of course this assumes the backing plate is threaded -- or the nuts are glassed on.

Hershey

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Well; I had some difficulty removing the lower port side machine screw. So a big pair of vice grips did the trick. I busted the machine screw. Seems there was a locking nut on the other side of the plate. Well, that area is accessible through the storage compart on the starboard side of the Mk I's.
The upper screws came out with some difficulty. Turns out there is a threaded plate behind my upper one also.

When I called Catalina Direct to order parts and told the salesman that my boat had plates which were tapped and threaded he said "you are one of the lucky ones :) "

For some reason the screws on the top gudgeon were shorter then the ones on the bottom gudgeon.
Plate is from bottom gudgeon.

The top plate is temporarily held in place with 2 machine screws with their heads cut off. Allows to slip the gudgeon off/on but holds plate in place.

Now I am waiting for the new gudgeons from Catalina.

Hershey

Attachments

Jul 28, 2016
So there were threaded plates top and bottom? Been wondering about this, since the gudgeon bolt kit that CD sells includes nuts and washers. Sounds like one of yours had a nut, but the others didn't? Seems odd. I am looking forward to the "rest of the story" as I am contemplating this on my boat also. I don't think I would fit down thru the hatch on deck, so might have to enlist some help from a thinner friend!

Thanks for posting.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
When I called Catalina Direct and talked to the parts guy. He asked me if I needed any other hardware. I explained that I had backing plates with the holes tapped in. He said "you are one of the lucky ones". I do not know if that was a design improvement cut in after hull # ??? or it they just use what is on the shelf at times. My boat is S/N 427.

I just purchased a 1/4-20 tap to clean out the threads. I guess there is a slight electrolysis between the stainless screws and brass plate.

The top plate is still in and held by some screws with their heads cut off. I plan on cleaning those threads "in place".

On the lower gudgeon there were locking nuts on both the starboard & port sides. I was able to get to the starboard side from the locker. I totally forgot about the port side ( brain freeze -- 68 years old) which is why I ended up breaking the machine screw, Anyway, it worked out for the better as I would not have been able to get at it otherwise.

I am waiting for the new gudgeons.

Hershey.

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
I know it's too late now, but has anyone tried tack welding some washers onto the old gudgeons to smaller the hole? Or, how about drilling them out and fitting some Delrin or bronze bushings?

Jul 28, 2016
Not a CP-22, but my last boat had a transom-hung rudder with worn gudgeons too. One of my crew's father-in-law was a machinist, and he made some bushings out of Delrin. It worked great for as long as I owned the boat. That said, I think replacing the gudgeons is a better choice.

YMMV,

Chris

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Buy the heavy duty rudder gudgeons from Catalina Direct. They are actually the rudder gudgeons from the C-250. They are much stronger, and have plastic bearings that are replaceable. I installed a set years ago and the rudder is still nice and tight. Order a spare set of inserts just in case you lose one. They are a plug and play using the same mounting bolt pattern.

Don

C-22 15362 113.jpg
C-22 15362 114.jpg

Jul 9, 2013
I broke the pintles on my rudder offshore of San Diego bay during the second of three Hot Rum series races. Apparently there was a crack in the lower pintle within the area of the strap and welds - not visible to check - that had some rust stain through about half of the pin's diameter. Once the bottom one snapped while flying spinnaker downwind around 8mph, the top one wiggled a few times and snapped before I could get all the sails dropped or get the rudder to stop violently oscillating. Luckily we got towed in by a good Samaritan in a big power boat as my electric trolling motor battery starting slowing down after chugging along for 2 miles (about an hour) toward the docks that were 4 miles away from shore (while rounding the gybe mark when we suddenly became uncontrollable). Now to find some heavier duty replacements. Two weeks until race #3.

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 259 Washington DC
I recommend getting away from the welded types of pintals and gudgeons.....I feel Schafer Marine makes the best for the money.
I used these for the upper and lower fittings.
I threw the tiller brackets in just to show the whole package I used.

Attachments