• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

GSP --> Invest 93L --> TD 10 --> TS Idalia --> Hurricane Idalia

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I live in Beaufort SC and, at least at my house there was no damage - not even any trees down at least near where I live (about 200 yards from the Broad River north of the Highway 170 bridge. My house lot is 25 feet above sea level so generally no fear of storm surge damage. Haven't visited the boat yet so I'll report back. I'm on a mooring and was pretty well prepared. Of course, my safety depends on other things that might break free and drift onto me so will know when I get to the boat later this morning.

Hey @B757Captain - How did things fare over on Dawtaw Island? From the wind direction it looks like you may have gotten more storm surge on the St Helena Sound.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I flew in from Upstate NY and landed at the Charlotte airport. We flew into rain and wind but had no trouble getting safely on the ground. The 2 hour drive home was a different story. The biggest issue was the wet roads and the glare from oncoming traffic. I have no idea who thought blindingly-bright LED headlights would be a good idea. I hate those things!
This is what I found at work this morning. We’re 2 hours from the coast.
IMG_2719.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps it is an aging thing. I like them on my car. I also have taken care to change the way they are aimed so as not to blind other drivers.

What is spooky... Looking in the rear view mirror and see what looks like a large lion/cat coming up behind you .
1693503356238.png