Grounding wires

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
islander 34-2 lake michigan
Hi! I have removed my hot water heater (I don’t use it and am relocating my holding tank so it’s no longer under v-berth). There were 3 wires that were grounded to the mounting tabs. What should I use to re-ground these wires? Thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We're going to need some more information. Do you have a photo of the wires and the HW tank?

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
S
to what do these wires attach on the other ends?
so The wires connect at their other ends to various other metal tabs or metal fixtures. One heads aft to a chain plate, one goes port to a screw on the fuel tank (about 3in through the bulkhead) and the third heads forward and meets up to a metal post with more similar looking wires… are these wires for lightning?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
S

so The wires connect at their other ends to various other metal tabs or metal fixtures. One heads aft to a chain plate, one goes port to a screw on the fuel tank (about 3in through the bulkhead) and the third heads forward and meets up to a metal post with more similar looking wires… are these wires for lightning?
Sounds more like bonding wires than lightning. The latter would be larger than what is pictured and run directly to the keel or grounding plate.
if for bonding, (to avoid stray current), the most expedient thing would be to just connect them together.
Frankly, it sounds like a mess of multiple connections. If even one develops a high resistance, the efficacy drops making it almost useless for that purpose.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yes, I agree ... it's somebody's idea of a bonding system. With those small wires, they may be useless. What do you mean by "heads forward and meets up to a metal post". Is the post connected to something like the mast base or the stem fitting? Is the "post" a rod or screw terminal strip or a chainplate of some sort? If the wires are connected to chainplates and/or the mast, it seems like it may be a useless attempt to protect against lightning. I'd be inclined to strip it all out and do some research to figure out what I want to replace it with, if anything. There looks to be some corrosion going on in the wire terminals anyway.

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
I’m thinking you all are right. I’ll just tidy them up for now and focus on more pressing projects. Thanks for the help!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If they are "Bonding Wires" and you have metal through hulls, keep an eye on the through hulls.
If you discover corrosion begins to happen then you will want to raise the priority of assuring you have a solid bonding system for your in water metals.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Those are way too small to be lightning. I'd remove them and

1700007877808.png

Go sailing....