Ground up redesign of 1986 Catalina 34 sanitation setup

Jan 16, 2022
Catalina C34 Port Hadlock
Hello all - I have a 1986 Catalina 34 which at some point had major sanitation system modifications made. The system was clearly designed with thru hull pumping as the norm. The path and distance to the 7 gal holding tank is a long and winding road. I'm inclined to simplify the system as much as possible and also make work easily for kids and guests not accustomed to marine heads. We are located on the Puget Sound and expect all of our sailing to take place around the sound and the greater Salish Sea (Which means no thru hull discharge) Thinking about the following - Then I'll ask some questions:

1) Raritan Sea Era QC (Fresh water for odors, macerator to avoid clogs, electric for kids and the uninitiated). Need the rotatable base to have any chance of fitting (hence no Raritan elegance)
2) Shorten the 1.5" line to take a direct path forward (through the hanging locker - rather than through the undersink head locker and back forward)
3) I'm thinking that the system does not need any thru hull capabilities
4) Tank - New Ronco 30 gal tank with (1) 1" vent , (1) 1.5" input (high on tank side), (1) 1.5" pump out (high on tank side with internal pick up tube)

Questions:
(1) I'm sure there are tons of opinions on electric toilets, fresh water flush, no thru hull capability, etc. But for the location and type of sailing we are doing this all seems reasonable. Anything I should be thinking about that I'm not?

(2) On a system with no thru hulls - do I need a vent loop for the 1.5" line or can that be avoided for this set up.

(3) Similarly do I need a vent loop for the fresh water supply line to the toilet?

(4) The 1.5" line from the toilet to the upper side of the holding tank is kind of a downhill run followed by an uphill run. Does that create problems in terms of waste hanging out in the low area of the hose run? Any way to avoid this or is this really about using the right amount of water in the flush to ensure it all gets into the tank each time?

Okay - let the games begin! Thanks everyone!

Alex

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Alex, glad to see you on our C34 forum, too. It may be helpful for you to include the rest of your question here, there as well.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hi Alex...welcome aboard!

1. The Raritan SeaEra is an excellent choice, but it's not necessary to spend the extra money for the QC (fresh water) version to eliminate sea water odors and other issues...a simple modification the flush water intake plumbing that solves that problem (no, it does not require connecting to the fresh water plumbing!)
2 The shorter and more direct the discharge plumbing is, the better. No vented loop is needed a toilet discharge line that only goes to a tank.
3. No vented loop needed in a fresh water intake line...The mod I'm suggesting should eliminate the need for the vented loop in the intake on the sea water version.
4. Better to have an uphill line from the toilet that goes over a loop and down to the tank.
4. Re the tank: Ronco is a great choice...I hope you're buying it direct from Ronco instead of through Catalina 'cuz Ronco sells direct for a much lower price! Putting the fittings on the side of the tank reduces the usable capacity by several gallons. I'd like to see all the fittings on the top of the tank, with a pickup tube inside the tank on the discharge fitting (Ronco will supply that).
About the hose...hopefully you can get Raritan SaniFlex on your side of the border or know someone who can bring it across even in these difficult times 'cuz it's the top rated hose...100% odor permeation resistant--even has a 10 year warranty against it--and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking RaritanSaniFlex hose If you can buy it in the US, Fisheries Supply in Seattle has it for about USD $11/ft and sells it by the foot so you only have to buy the amount you need.

I'll be glad to help you with this project...talk to Stu if you need a reference. :)

--Peggie

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022
Catalina C34 Port Hadlock
Hi Peggie - Thanks so much for your helpful comments. I'd love to chat with you about the project in more detail. I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info and then we can go from there. Thanks again! Best, Alex