Ground Tackle Thoughts

Oct 30, 2019
Here's my dilemma. My current ground tackle is a 27 pound CQR, with 100' of 5/16 chain and 100' of nylon after that. In my cruising grounds (southeast Alaska) I nearly always have to anchor in 50+ feet of water, due to the large tide change. The problem I have is that without any anchor winch, this rig is just too darn heavy to be hauling back up on a regular basis. I had to do it this morning, and was exhausted by the time it broke the surface (I was in 50' with all the chain and 25' of nylon out..)I am thinking of changing the anchor and decreasing the amount of chain. My thinking is decreasing the chain to 50', with a Rocna 10 at the end. Nearly all my anchoring ground is in sand, or dense clay. Anyone had experience with this combo in a Vega? Obviously you can never have too much anchor, but I want one I can use comfortably and more regularly. This will be used for overnight sets, but not sitting on the anchor for weeks at a time. Thanks!

Feb 13, 2010
I have used 100ft of anchor but it was when down Island where I was
worried about dragging rope against sharp coral. That is likely not
a consern for you. Even 30ft of chain will be more than enough to
keep your anchor berried. I wouldn't hesitate to use 50 ft of
chain. I would take the chain off and put 25ft of new chain on then
you can always but the long chain back on. That is what I did. A
longer chain won't increase holding power. Doug

On 06/28/2015 07:17 PM,
jkfroggie@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

Apr 2, 2013
The guy who had my boat before me, used the winch in the cockpit to pull the anchor. There were clits about 6’-0” apart right to the anchor. Maybe try using one of your winches next time? Just a thought.LarrySent from Windows MailFrom: n4lbl alan.schulman@... [AlbinVega]Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎June‎ ‎28‎, ‎2015 ‎6‎:‎55‎ ‎PMTo: n4lbl alan.schulman@... [AlbinVega]

Hi there!It seems to me that if the wind isn\'t blowing super hard, 50\' of chain in 50\' of water is going to be close to the same hauling weight as 100\' of chain in 50\' of water since you will be lifting 50\' of chain either way (anything more than 50\' will be laying on the ground).   If the wind is blowing on the other hand, you will be happy to have the extra chain. In my opinion, the limiting factor here is how much weight the boat can carry in the bow, but the Vega should happily carry 100\' of 5/16 chain.  I would add more nylon (to achieve 7:1 or 10:1 ratio), but I don\'t think you will make your life any easier from decreasing the chain.Looking forward to replies from those who cruise closer to you and their experiences.  JonTarka (the otter), Sint Maarten

Mar 11, 2013
I use a Fortress over size (FX16), with 5m of chain followed by a 40m (135feet) of load nylon followed by regular oversize nylon to get at least 5 to 6 time the max deepen of the water ... it work fine and not heavy stephanStephan Zarzeckihttps://mybizcard.co/stephan.zarzecki.651448
2015-06-29 1:17 GMT+02:00 jkfroggie@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com:

Nov 8, 2001
Are we talking about the winches or the
"clits"

I do so like typos

Steve B
capnvega@... [AlbinVega]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2015 4:24 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Ground Tackle Thoughts
As I recall..those were a handy but very expensive option.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 9:50 PM, lewills30@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Jan 28, 2001
What kid of chain are you using? Proof Coil, BBB or Hi-Test?Lyric initially carried 200 feet of 1/4" Hi-Test. It was a lot of weight and we never used more than 70 feet so it has since been shortened to 100 feet. 1/4" Hi-test has a working load limit of 2600 pounds and weighs .73 ponds per foot. 5/16" Proof coil has a WLL 1900 # and weight is 1.12 # ft.5/16" BBB has the same WLL and weighs 1.17 # ft.You would lose some of the catenary which certainly is a consideration on holding power of the system but you will haul over 25% less weight. Just my thoughts, WaltP.S. Loved the typo! To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.comFrom: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.comDate: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:42:16 +0100Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Ground Tackle Thoughts

Are we talking about the winches or the
"clits"

I do so like typos

Steve B
capnvega@... [AlbinVega]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2015 4:24 PM
As I recall..those were a handy but very expensive option.

Mar 28, 2011
What in the world is a "clit" The only "clit" I know, is only on-board if she is invited !

MSG Frank Gallardo Jr.
Casualty Assistance Volunteer
Berlin Military Retiree Council
U.S. Army Special Forces Retired

Feb 12, 2008
I would assume that if you had some strong wenches spaced six feet apart on the foredeck, that would make it easy to pull up the anchor, assuming you could get them all synchronized to pull at once. No doubt that this would be an expensive option. Tim

Nov 8, 2001
All in code.... Bit like Shangri La and Treasure
Island - Pure myths

SB
capnvega@... [AlbinVega]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2015 5:38 PM
I have a diagram somewhere an old girlfriend gave me.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Frank Gallardo Jr imbissfrank@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

n6ric

Mar 19, 2010
50' of chain in 50 feet of water only gives you a one to one scope. You should have a minimum of 5 to 1 scope out and the books call for a 7 to 1 scope if you are anchoring overnight. That means that if you have 50' of chain and you are anchoring in fifty feet of water, you should have all the chain out along with 200' of rope to get the 5 to 1 scope.On Blue Max, I cut the top of the v-berth water tank and am using it as my anchor locker. I mounted a manual windlass directly above it to make hauling the chain and rope in easier. I'm going with 100' feet of chain and 200' of rope. I also have a CQR anchor. I had wired my Vega to put an electric windlass on the bow, but found a manual windlass, brand new in the box, on ebay and went with that instead.Baring putting a windlass on the bow, you can use a halyard and one of your winches to lift the anchor and chain. It's more time consuming because of having to reset the connection point of the halyard, but it saves the hell out of your back.Rics/v Blue Max#2692www.ric-maxfield.net

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I like the idea of using the main halyard on a mast winch.
You need a snaphook or similar to reattach the working end of the halyard to the chain after a 10 metre length has been retrieved?

John V1447 Breakaway
Sent: 29 June 2015 19:24

50' of chain in 50 feet of water only gives you a one to one scope. You should have a minimum of 5 to 1 scope out and the books call for a 7 to 1 scope if you are anchoring overnight. That means that if you have 50' of chain and you are anchoring in fifty feet of water, you should have all the chain out along with 200' of rope to get the 5 to 1 scope.On Blue Max, I cut the top of the v-berth water tank and am using it as my anchor locker. I mounted a manual windlass directly above it to make hauling the chain and rope in easier. I'm going with 100' feet of chain and 200' of rope. I also have a CQR anchor. I had wired my Vega to put an electric windlass on the bow, but found a manual windlass, brand new in the box, on ebay and went with that instead.Baring putting a windlass on the bow, you can use a halyard and one of your winches to lift the anchor and chain. It's more time consuming because of having to reset the connection point of the halyard, but it saves the hell out of your back.Ric

s/v Blue Max

www.ric-maxfield.net

Mar 28, 2011
John that is a great idea, I used to use it when I anchored a lot, I have since gotten rid of the majority of my chain, as I tend to spend all of my time in marinas.

MSG Frank Gallardo Jr.

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Frank you and Ric thought of it first!

John
Sent: 29 June 2015 20:34
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] Ground Tackle Thoughts

John that is a great idea, I used to use it when I anchored a lot, I have since gotten rid of the majority of my chain, as I tend to spend all of my time in marinas.

MSG Frank Gallardo Jr.