Ground tackle - joining rope to chain

danb2k

Apr 20, 2015
Catalina 36 Mk II Salem, MA
Hi All,
I have to replace the eye which connects the rope to the chain on my ground tackle (see picture). Does anyone have any advice/wisdom they can impart regarding the best approach for this? Swivel shackles are nice, but I'm told that they are the most frequent failure point in local ground tackle failures. FYI, the boat is a Catalina 36. Thank you for your ideas!

Ground tackle corrosion.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well that depends.
Do you want to continue to use the windlass to draw the rode (the rope portion) of your anchor system up form the deep and let it run into the anchor locker?

If so you will want to tie a Rode to Chain splice (like the one you post in your picture) to the end of your chain. I would cut the rusted chain off getting back to still sound chain and then tie a splice of the rode.

Here is a “How to do it” link.

Oct 22, 2014
Check out the Mantus Swivel. It goes between your anchor and your chain. It helps to flip the anchor over to help it seat properly in your bow roller.
1712012912473.jpeg
Stout design. I am using one on my 35ft Cal.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
It should be done the way it was done. Folks with windlasses know this.

A thimble/shackle system will struggle around the drum and a swivel will not go at all.

JSsailem got it.

Also correct about the swivel. It goes either near or at the anchor, or not at all.

danb2k

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks for the great insights, folks. Yes, I'd like to use the windlass as intended, so I will probably pursue the rode-to-chain splice, similar to my current design. Happy sailing to you all!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
All good points thus far. Our horizontal windlass has a gypsy for the chain and a drum for the rope. Over the years I've had the best performance using a rated hot dipped galvanized swivel between the anchor and chain and a thimble splice between the rope and chain. I always pay in the rode by hand to avoid any jams or blockages. That way I can inspect everything as it comes in just to make sure of no mechanical issues.

Does the one rusted link in your picture that connects the rope to chain, is that one of those you can open to splice chain to chain, or is it the last link in the chain? Corrosion, like shown in your picture, was the other reason why I moved away from splicing rope to chain.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. The corrosion is because the rope stays wet. Something is weird; I've never seen the corrosion that bad with the rope looking that good. Perhaps a very wet chain locker.

b. Thimble or splice, the rope near the join should be cut away every few years because of chafe on the bottom. Cut off one link, cut off 5 feet of rope, and re-splice. No problem. 15 minute job.

No clunky thimble and shackle to catch on a finger. or roller. I splice rodes even when I don't have a windlass; it's cleaner.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Swivel shackles are nice, but I'm told that they are the most frequent failure point in local ground tackle failures.
Traditional swivels are a weak point. The Mantis swivel shown above is an excellent swivel. I also use one on my primary anchor.

dj

danb2k

Apr 20, 2015
Hi All,
Following up on your good questions and comments:

I believe the above setup is original, although I'm not sure. The boat is a 2003 Catalina 36 MK II, and we're the third owner. The corroded link does not have any snaps or other way to open it, so I assume it is the last link in the chain. We've never used the anchor (except as a test), but I'd like to start. And yes, it's possible that the locker was/is wet, although one must then ask: why is that the only corroded link? Maybe it is because the rope stays wet, as thinwater mentioned above.
Unless I'm dissuaded by you guys or a couple of my friends, I think my best approach will be to resplice using a clean link and a fresh section of rope. And to inspect it periodically of course.

Great discussion, thank you for your feedback.

Oct 22, 2014
Sounds like a practical plan to implement. Makes use of your current gear. Saves money for the many other things that will come up. Learning to do the splice will be a practical skill that you will use again on your boat.
Sounds like a win win win .

Have fun sailing.

danb2k

Apr 20, 2015
Sounds like a practical plan to implement. Makes use of your current gear. Saves money for the many other things that will come up. Learning to do the splice will be a practical skill that you will use again on your boat.
Sounds like a win win win .

Have fun sailing.
Thank you John, you as well.