Groco HE head part I can't find

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Hello,

I have a 1986 Oday 28 that has the (prob) original head which is the Groco HE model. I just did a rebuild on it which seemed to go great but there is one part which is from the back of the toilet that I also need to replace but was not in the rebuild kit.

*in the pics is the black part and it goes on the lower back area of the head.

Can anyone tell me where to get this or what it is? The toilet seems really nice still and I would hate to have to replace it just because I can't find this one part.

Any and all comments or help is appreciated!

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check the Groco site, exploded diagrams and some parts are still available. If you can't order from Groco, Defender can special order or SBO may be able to special order.

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Ok so I already called Defender and none of the exploded Grodo pdf's include that part... thank you tho :)

May 22, 2020
Pearson 303 Casco Bay
This is the "bowl spud", part number may be ZS-1, IIRC.

Is it leaking? Why does it need to be replaced?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you call Groco, they'll tell you what I'm about to tell you:

Groco upgraded the HE to HF couple of decades ago. The HE kit hasn't been available for at least 10 years, and as you've found, some of the parts in the HF kit aren't a fit for your HE. The solution: If you want to keep this toilet, buy the HE-HF conversion kit...it's not cheap (this is the only retailer I could find who has just the kit Groco HF UPGRADE | Fisheries Supply) and there's no guarantee that by now the bronze cylinder wall and other things aren't too worn to be worth keeping the toilet...Everything has a lifespan. Groco may even tell you that too.

IMO, it's time for a new toilet...and for only about $100 more than the Groco kit you can upgrade to the top rated manual toilet-- the Raritan PH SuperFlush Raritan PH SuperFlush There's one retailer who has the "conversion" (everything but the bowl, seat and lid: Raritan PH Super Flush Conversion Kit #P103 The mounting bolt pattern should be a match for your Groco's pattern.

--Peggie

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Ok so I'm sorry I have not been able to respond I do appreciate all of your responses. To answer the @illusio1024 the
'bowl spud' is dry rotted around the fitting area and will not stay in place correctly any more. You can put it on but I'm worried that in wavy sailing it might pop off....

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
So Peggy I was able to find an HE rebuild kit and it all went together great and looks good; nothing looks questionable at all except that part. Just adding more info... that seems to be the only part that I need to get it back going again. I do realize that a new head might have been in order but we didn't realize that actually until reinstalling it. The functioning parts except for that look super...

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
@jviss that part was perfect! Thank you! You are my hero of the summer :) Here is a pic of the old Bowl Spud the new part (on left side), the barcode and part number is in the pic so maybe it will help someone else. This will extend the life of this head a little longer; a new one just isn't in the cards right now :) Gotta luv these forums!! Thanks to all.

groco bowl spud boat toilet part.jpg
groco bowl spud boat toilet part.jpg

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Well it might have but I was having trouble finding that part at all and had no idea what it was even called; I was lazy and just trusted what @jviss above recommended lol!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Glad that worked also. When the bad day does come, buy the Raritan PH. I did, now in year 8-10 with no parts, just lubing and careful winterizing. Rock solid product and not much $. Started with Groco like yours (original equipment), then had another brand that did not do well (maybe 5 years) and now the PH.