grinding sound starting??

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
Heard a new sound yesterday while starting the engine, yanmar 2qm15.
once started engine sounded and ran fine. I wasn't down below to pinpoint the noise on start up, but if I had to guess I would go with the starter motor.
It's already on my list of winter projects but may need to move it up the priority list.
There is no glow plug so starter does a bit of cranking.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My guess is your starting battery voltage might be low. Time for a replacement battery and take a look at whether your charger need to be replaced. Could also be the starter is "nearing end of life".

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
also, a loose starter mounting bolt would let the starter slip out of alignment, causing gear noise when cranking

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Bad brushes on the starter motor can cause similar issues.

How old is the battery?

How is charged?

Check and clean all connections.

Have starter rebuilt.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
There is no glow plug so starter does a bit of cranking.
My 2QM15 was hard to start when cold until I installed a device called a "thermostart". Not thermostat. Thermostart device is made for Yanmar tractors which may have to start in cold weather. Look under "tractor supply" on line and you will find them. There is a mounting port already on your engine, just behind the air cleaner. You need to run a No.10 ga wire from a starter type button to power it. I push that separate starter button and hold it for 20 seconds, release that, then push the starter button. Engine starts almost immediately. Uses diesel fuel. This has nothing to do with your grinding issue.
2184C919-846C-48A3-9B46-2D62761C17CF.jpeg

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Don't let it go on for long. The grinding is probably a incomplete meshing of the benix gear with the ring gear on the flywheel. Both will wear down the edge of the gears and then not engage at all or get worse. The ring gear/flywheel will need to be replaced which means removing the transmission and bell housing (rear motor mounts).

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Visually inspect the teeth on your flywheel and starter. You can also remove the starter (Don't forget to disconnect your negative battery terminal first.) And inspect the starter including mounting hardware. It's simple stuff like an old Ford starter. Or you can take the starter into an automotive parts store, and they will probably check it out for you for free.

Jul 20, 2020
My 2QM15 was hard to start when cold until I installed a device called a "thermostart". Not thermostat. Thermostart device is made for Yanmar tractors which may have to start in cold weather. Look under "tractor supply" on line and you will find them. There is a mounting port already on your engine, just behind the air cleaner. You need to run a No.10 ga wire from a starter type button to power it. I push that separate starter button and hold it for 20 seconds, release that, then push the starter button. Engine starts almost immediately. Uses diesel fuel. This has nothing to do with your grinding issue.
View attachment 198197
I am going to install this, this winter. The power 10 awg runs to a push button switch in the cockpit? Where do you draw the power from ignition switch?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Why install a thermostart unless you are consistently starting in the cold? Hard starts will continue if there is another issue like fouled injectors, bad electrical connections or a weak battery. Find the reason...... Yanmars are designed to start without a glow plug.

As to your grinding issue, the advise above is good......

Good Luck
Greg

Jul 20, 2020
put a new starter and battery in 3 weeks ago, going to replace the small grade wire from the ignition to starter next with 10g. Still starts hard with new battery and starter, glow plugs work great on any diesel

Dec 28, 2015
For some reason when I posted my first reply I thought I read something about grinding but I don't see it now. As for the hard start after replacing the starter and battery (did you load test the old one to pinpoint the problem?), I'd look at cable lug ends and contact surfaces. Positive and negative. and get a voltage drop reading on the starter/battery cable, starter end.

Dec 28, 2015
put a new starter and battery in 3 weeks ago, going to replace the small grade wire from the ignition to starter next with 10g. Still starts hard with a new battery and starter, glow plugs work great on any diesel
if it is, firing the solenoid then, more likely than not, that isn't your problem considering a new starter and battery. You say hard starting but what does that mean? Slow crank? Delayed crank? Strong crank and no fire?

Jul 20, 2020
initial start I crank for about 10-12 seconds, 2nd start another 10 seconds, usually on 3rd crank starts after 5 seconds, maybe a 4th time for 5 seconds if it's been two weeks. Once running engine runs and sounds great, just hard/cranking starting. Next step is to replace the power to 10g and see if that helps.

Jan 11, 2014
Next step is to replace the power to 10g and see if that helps.
If you are referring to the wire that powers the solenoid, that probably won't solve the problem. If the starter is turning over and engaging the ring gear which turns the engine over, then the solenoid is fine. The white wire solution is a fix for getting the solenoid to engage. You don't seem to have that issue.

The problem you seem to have is getting the diesel to turn over fast enough to start. That is a problem with power supply to the starter not the solenoid. There are several causes for that problem: weak battery (how old is it?, how is it charged?), bad or corroded connections on the negative wire to the engine block or the positive wire to the starter, worn out brushes on the motor, or any one of these causes combined with a positive cable to the starter being undersized.

For reference, the cable to the starter on my Yanmar 3JH2e is 2/0. Manufacturers often use smaller cables to hold down costs. What size is the positive wire?

Jul 20, 2020
If you are referring to the wire that powers the solenoid, that probably won't solve the problem. If the starter is turning over and engaging the ring gear which turns the engine over, then the solenoid is fine. The white wire solution is a fix for getting the solenoid to engage. You don't seem to have that issue.

The problem you seem to have is getting the diesel to turn over fast enough to start. That is a problem with power supply to the starter not the solenoid. There are several causes for that problem: weak battery (how old is it?, how is it charged?), bad or corroded connections on the negative wire to the engine block or the positive wire to the starter, worn out brushes on the motor, or any one of these causes combined with a positive cable to the starter being undersized.

For reference, the cable to the starter on my Yanmar 3JH2e is 2/0. Manufacturers often use smaller cables to hold down costs. What size is the positive wire?
Brand new starter just installed, brand new battery just installed and charged by solar panel when not running, alternator when running. House and starter battery all fully charged. Battery cables are 2/0 gauge. I have checked the connections and wire brushed/sandpapered terminals and negative connection to engine block. I have 10g so I am going to replace the positive wire from ignition switch to starter whether I need it or not, and am replacing the short positive cable from starter to alternator to 4/0g (have the wire so why not).
Not expensive to put in the Thermostart, so might as well see if that helps. If that doesn't work then I"ll try fuel injectors, but they bleed fine and like I said once running she purrs.

Jan 11, 2014
Brand new starter just installed, brand new battery just installed and charged by solar panel when not running, alternator when running. House and starter battery all fully charged. Battery cables are 2/0 gauge. I have checked the connections and wire brushed/sandpapered terminals and negative connection to engine block. I have 10g so I am going to replace the positive wire from ignition switch to starter whether I need it or not, and am replacing the short positive cable from starter to alternator to 4/0g (have the wire so why not).
Not expensive to put in the Thermostart, so might as well see if that helps. If that doesn't work then I"ll try fuel injectors, but they bleed fine and like I said once running she purrs.
I'm assuming you have a 1-2-Both battery selector switch. Have you tried starting it when the switch in the other positions, i.e, do you have the same symptoms at position 1, 2, and Both?

Jul 20, 2020
I'm assuming you have a 1-2-Both battery selector switch. Have you tried starting it when the switch in the other positions, i.e, do you have the same symptoms at position 1, 2, and Both?
Yes I normally start in position 1/2 (both), but I have experimented with just position 2 (starting battery) and same issue....lots of cranking. Also once warmed up and starting the engine after a sail she fires right up.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
dear OP, are you sure you don't have big voltage drop from battery to key start switch in cockpit then down to the starter? if you ahve a great battery and starter but a big voltage drop you can have a hard start.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Low cylinder compression will cause hard starting and might not be noticeable when running.

Dec 28, 2015
Sounds like fuel delivery and specifically it’s allowing air into the system at rest.