Greetings from Cartagena (Spain)

Mar 17, 2015
Hunter 170 Cartagena (Spain)
Hi All,

One month ago I bought a 1998 hunter 170. It only needed some work to do and I really enjoyed working on it with my family and friends. Last saturday morning was our first sail and it was wonderful, weather conditions were not so easy and the boat behaviour was great.

I still have some work to do and I need to order some pieces.
Is there any distributor in Spain?

Thanks,

Mar 17, 2015
Hi again,

I have already located in your web store the masthead with sheaves I need to replace the mine but I do not find the anti-slip white bands to replace the old ones on the deck. Any suggestion to find them? Removing them is quite easy and I would like to replace them.

Thanks,

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi juanfran,

Welcome! Unfortunately, the sources for most of the parts are in the US.

If your questions are about specific parts, please contact us through our customer service system: http://shop.hunterowners.com/cs/

This forum is for communication with other Hunter sailboat owners.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks Phil, I have followed your instructions.

Talking about the boat design...

Construction category for Hunter 170 is D.
In Spain, that means it is designed for protected waters (winds 4bt max and 1m waves max) but in my first sail weather was not so good and the behaviour of the boat was excelent, even better than other boats I have tested with category C.
Has anyone more sailed with bad weather conditions?
Did Hunter Marine change the category of the boat after 1998?

Thanks,

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
What do you mean by "bad conditions". Wind speed?,Wave height?, swell, etc. I've sailed my Hunter 15 daysailer in 25+ Knots on large bays in our river but I wouldn't have wanted to sail in those conditions on the ocean off Western Australia.

Mar 17, 2015
Wind 5bt (about 20 knots).
Waves 1m high. (Note: Mediterranean waves come more quickly than oceanic ones).
Hard rain.

Feb 26, 2010
You have a lot of grit going out in those conditions. I prefer 12-17 knots. I get great performance out of the H15 then.
I have sailed on Long Island Sound, the Atlantic off The Hamptens, Port Phillip Bay near Melbourne and in the Indian Ocean off Fremantle, Western Australia but never in the Med(something I would love to do).

Mar 17, 2015
I also prefer better weather conditions for sailing enjoying the time with my family.
It was because we wanted to test the boat after being repaired...and it was great.
I have only sailed in Mediterranean Sea and I would love to have your experience.

My question is focused on legal requirements in SPAIN.
D Category: Valid for sailing in Protected waters.
C Category: Valid for sailing up to 2 or 5 miles from any harbour (it depends on other issues).
Category is set by the manufacturer and I do believe Hunter 170 should be C category.
What do you think about it?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I also prefer better weather conditions for sailing enjoying the time with my family.
It was because we wanted to test the boat after being repaired...and it was great.
I have only sailed in Mediterranean Sea and I would love to have your experience.

My question is focused on legal requirements in SPAIN.
D Category: Valid for sailing in Protected waters.
C Category: Valid for sailing up to 2 or 5 miles from any harbour (it depends on other issues).
Category is set by the manufacturer and I do believe Hunter 170 should be C category.
What do you think about it?
Sorry, but that is not a valid line of thought.

The fact that your boat went out (and came back!) in a particular set of conditions does not make it generally capable for those conditions. It says more about your skill, your level of risk taking, and luck than anything else.

The CE categories take into several DESIGN factors, most in regard to being able to survive waves. Waves are what kill boats, not wind or being far offshore. The two most important design factors are LENGTH and FREEBOARD. It is generally accepted by marine architects that these two have the biggest effect on a boat ability to survive waves, and the CE regs reflect that. The H17 is a small boat with short freeboard. It is easily swamped or capsized.

Category D.

Now go have fun!

Feb 26, 2010
Looking at Google Maps I see that Catagena has a bay. Do you sail there or further out in the Sea?
Have a look at the owners photos in the Hunter section ( http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_album&Itemid=297&catid=1295&page=model&use_brand=Hunter&mn=15 ). You can see the area of the bay's that I have to sail on. In the strongest winds though I never have to deal with waves any more than .3-.5 metre high.

PS. As a new owner you might be interested in the owners modifications section of the hunter owners.com section of this website. I got a lot of good ideas from there when I first purchased my H15. I'd particularly have a look at the advice on 'foaming' your mast and boom. I did this mod and the one time I put my boat over I was very glad I did as the mast didn't fill with water and turn the boat upside down.

Mar 17, 2015
Sorry, but that is not a valid line of thought.

The fact that your boat went out (and came back!) in a particular set of conditions does not make it generally capable for those conditions. It says more about your skill, your level of risk taking, and luck than anything else.

The CE categories take into several DESIGN factors, most in regard to being able to survive waves. Waves are what kill boats, not wind or being far offshore. The two most important design factors are LENGTH and FREEBOARD. It is generally accepted by marine architects that these two have the biggest effect on a boat ability to survive waves, and the CE regs reflect that. The H17 is a small boat with short freeboard. It is easily swamped or capsized.

Category D.

Now go have fun!
I agree you and EU also does... but not Spanish legislation.

EU says that Category in CE Marking has to be taken in count to restrict the authorized sailing zone but not only that.

Spanish legislation accepts the direct relationship "CATEGORY vs ZONE".

Mar 17, 2015
Looking at Google Maps I see that Catagena has a bay. Do you sail there or further out in the Sea?
Have a look at the owners photos in the Hunter section ( http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/index...&catid=1295&page=model&use_brand=Hunter&mn=15 ). You can see the area of the bay's that I have to sail on. In the strongest winds though I never have to deal with waves any more than .3-.5 metre high.

PS. As a new owner you might be interested in the owners modifications section of the hunter owners.com section of this website. I got a lot of good ideas from there when I first purchased my H15. I'd particularly have a look at the advice on 'foaming' your mast and boom. I did this mod and the one time I put my boat over I was very glad I did as the mast didn't fill with water and turn the boat upside down.
I sail further out of the sea but I should not. I usually respect the 2 miles from harbour or beach zone.

I would take also in count your advice. As you say, filling the mast with foam is a very good and cheap idea and I will do it. Thanks a lot.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I agree you and EU also does... but not Spanish legislation.

EU says that Category in CE Marking has to be taken in count to restrict the authorized sailing zone but not only that.

Spanish legislation accepts the direct relationship "CATEGORY vs ZONE".
Ah yes. I didn't catch you are were actually wanting to actively sail in Zone C waters.

That restriction is also true in France. If you leave the bays you better be Cat B. The the good news is that you get a break on your insurance cost. That is based on your boats Cat type, even if you don't sail to it.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
I sail further out of the sea but I should not. I usually respect the 2 miles from harbour or beach zone.

I would take also in count your advice. As you say, filling the mast with foam is a very good and cheap idea and I will do it. Thanks a lot.
There is also a top-of-mast float available for the 170 to prevent a complete turtling. We have one on ours but no occasion to test it yet. Available here:
http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=170&c=6&p=53662

Mar 17, 2015
There is also a top-of-mast float available for the 170 to prevent a complete turtling. We have one on ours but no occasion to test it yet. Available here:
http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=170&c=6&p=53662
I already have a top of mast vane installed to see the wind direction, so filling the mast and boom is a good solution for me.
What do you prefer, injecting foam directly as a permanent solution o introducing foam pieces as a non-permanent solution?

I have already ordered a MASTHEAD WITH SHEAVES from shop.hunterowner once I have a good friend working during some days in Washington and he can bring it to me, I hope everything goes well.

Thanks,

Feb 26, 2010
I already have a top of mast vane installed to see the wind direction, so filling the mast and boom is a good solution for me.
What do you prefer, injecting foam directly as a permanent solution o introducing foam pieces as a non-permanent solution?
That is why I foamed the mast & boom as I also wanted a windex. You can't have a masthead float and a windex (which I prefer over other wind direction telltales).

Re a temporary or permanent solution; Even inserting foam noodles will turn out to be pretty permanent. Note that you have to seal around all the fasteners of the various pieces of hardware on the mast and boom. I also sealed the mast just under the masthead with sheaves unit and the outside end of the boom with marine sealant/adhesive after I had rammed as much foam as I could get in there. I used swimming pool foam 'noodles' which I had to trim down to fit inside the mast (On the H170 you may not have to trim down as I believe that their mast have a larger diameter than my H15 mast). I used a broom handle as a ramrod. It was like loading a old canon. Also note to make sure that your main halyard will still run freely inside the mast. You really only have to foam the top 55-65% of the mast and the outside 60% of the boom as those are the only sections that will sit in the water if you lay her flat.