Green Flash

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've seen the Northern lights three times and all three times they looked different.
I spent the night on top of Mount Madison, they looked like the underside of ocean waves rolling across the sky.
Another time, in Erroll NH. They were changing colors fading from pink to green to blue and yellows.
The last time I saw them was here in littleton, they were cast ribbons hanging in the sky.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
My weirdest experience whilst flying, way north of the northern cape, north of Murmansk, around Bear Island, was watching a sunrise and sunset at the same time. Flying north and looking out the port window was the sun setting and looking out the starboard window was the sunrise.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My weirdest experience whilst flying, way north of the northern cape, north of Murmansk, around Bear Island, was watching a sunrise and sunset at the same time. Flying north and looking out the port window was the sun setting and looking out the starboard window was the sunrise.
Now that’s cool right there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
o_O

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The SR71 pilots often landed the day before they took off. Something about catching up with the International Date Line.
Makes doing Travel Vouchers a bitch

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
But then you would get there yesterday.
Zackly! And that makes it even more impressive. Two sunsets, 34 hours apart, and the same date. Try to get your head around that one!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Every time we started the engines on an SR71, the chemical igniter would light off the JP7 with a green flash, so I guess I have seen the green flash, a hundred times or so.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Totally off topic here. But after TomJs comment about the SR-71 I recalled a time when I saw one that had diverted into our base and was quickly shuttled into an empty hanger. The interesting thing was that there were a couple of guys that were moping up and squeegeeing the JP7 fuel that was leaking out of the cracks in the wings. It seems that the metal in the wings expand and contract so much that is was impossible to get a good seal.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Totally off topic here. But after TomJs comment about the SR-71 I recalled a time when I saw one that had diverted into our base and was quickly shuttled into an empty hanger. The interesting thing was that there were a couple of guys that were moping up and squeegeeing the JP7 fuel that was leaking out of the cracks in the wings. It seems that the metal in the wings expand and contract so much that is was impossible to get a good seal.
Exactly right. If we may get off topic for a minute, I would add that the seams sealed in flight as the airframe heated up from friction with the atmosphere. I felt bad for a fireman at Nellis AFB in Nevada when he kept hosing down the leaks as we went about our business preflighting the Blackbird. He finally threw down his fire hose in disgust, and walked away, saying "If they don't care, I don't care!" Poor guy was only doing his job.