Green as a granny smith apple /starting a 2001 Bene 361

Aug 13, 2021
Beneteau 361 Clipper 0 Oriental
I am purchasing a 2001 Bene 361, I've read the owners manual and I still have no idea of how to set the batteries switches, what the little red handle is for or any other starting procedures. Is there a reference I can read or does someone have the time to talk with me? Owner is gone, baby gone. No joy there.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations.

The traditional Beneteau switch layout uses a switch for the ground, one for the “engine bank” and one for the “house bank”. Assuming yours is still in that configuration then probably the best way to just get started is to turn all 3 switches on and start the engine. After shutting off the engine turn the engine bank switch back off.

Having said that, there’s probably no telling what the previous owner may have done to change the way things are wired. Even just to tell what wires go where will probably take some tracing with a volt meter. You’ve got lots of learning ahead of you but that’s part of the process.

For other processes with the engine, tell us the engine model and check the owner’s manual for that specifically. That will have more detail than the generic boat manual.

Aug 13, 2021
Hi Dave

Thanks for the information, there is still a small red handle to the right of the other 3handle. Does the nene have a regular batteryswitch?

May 17, 2004
Hi Dave

Thanks for the information, there is still a small red handle to the right of the other 3handle. Does the nene have a regular batteryswitch?
Small red handle sounds like it might be a circuit breaker for a windlass, thruster, or maybe the house circuit. Probably best to keep it on while running the boat, at least as a first guess.

Aug 13, 2021
Thanks. The owners manual is very vague. I do want to thank you for your help today.
Michael

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi @outwardboundguy .... You sound like an adventurous sort. Welcome to the SBO Forum.

Dave shared the basics and it is usual to assume that the previous owners would not change something or add something to a Beneteau.

One of the easiest ways here to get info back to your specific concern is to post a picture.

Oct 22, 2014
With a picture other owners are quick to identify if the situation is the "Usual" layout. Or if something has been changed on your boat.

You can also experiment. Flip one switch then see if anything works. With three switches the combinations are pretty limited.

Nothing is at risk if all three are on at the same time...

Aug 13, 2021
The picture is a good idea. I will be doing a sea trial wednesday of next week. Broker is too busy to let me look at the different manuals until i own it. "Busness as usual" according to them.

The information helps, thanks.

Big investment a little streesed about it. Normal huh?

Oct 22, 2014
Yes... getting a boat, whether you spend a little of a lot is a big investment in time and money.
I remember the day I signed the contract and awaited the sea trial... I spent the time devouring all that I could find on the boat I intended to own. It was a bit more daunting for me than your boat .

A quick search online popped up these links that might help. or at the least occupy your mind while you wait.

PDF 047750 - Oc.anis 361 - ANG - 210502

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I've read the owners manual and I still have no idea of how to set the batteries switches, what the little red handle is for or any other starting procedures.
Here's some more information. It is a wiring diagram that shows how things work and how they can be improved. We're all here to help and we've all been beginners, ALL OF US! :) Good luck keep learning.

Beneteau Wiring Diagrams - Maine Sail's corrections - Just in case you have a friend with a Beneteau and want to help him with his unusual switching Reply #8

One black and two red electrical switches

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am purchasing a 2001 Bene 361, I've read the owners manual and I still have no idea of how to set the batteries switches, what the little red handle is for or any other starting procedures.
Photo shows typical Beneteau setup. Left to right, black is negative for both banks, red(#1) for starter/engine bank, red (#2) for house bank, far right is Lewmar circuit breaker for windlass. Black & red # 2 in photo are in “on” position, red #1 is in off position. Hope this helps. Good luck with the purchase; 361 is nice boat.
6A1FF860-24C2-4165-976F-A6BF96B150DD.jpeg
6A1FF860-24C2-4165-976F-A6BF96B150DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Photo shows typical Beneteau setup. Left to right, black is negative for both banks, red(#1) for starter/engine bank, red (#2) for house bank, far right is Lewmar circuit breaker for windlass. Black & red # 2 in photo are in “on” position, red #1 is in off position. Hope this helps. Good luck with the purchase; 361 is nice boat.
View attachment 197133View attachment 197133
Great photo.
Problem is, as Maine Sail says in the link I provided, these switches do NOT separate the two banks as "everyone assumes."
Please read my link to Maine Sail's excellent analysis.

Here's how it starts:

If your vessel is wired like many Bene's you don't likely have "HOUSE" and "START" you simply have two battery banks that are in parallel when both switches are set to ON. Leave both switches set to ON, and discharge too far, and you're dead in the water. I have a number of Bene & Jenneau customers who've learned this the hard way..

And I don't even own a Beneteau.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Great photo.
If your vessel is wired like many Bene's you don't likely have "HOUSE" and "START" you simply have two battery banks that are in parallel when both switches are set to ON. Leave both switches set to ON, and discharge too far, and you're dead in the water. I have a number of Bene & Jenneau customers who've learned this the hard way..
Good point Stu; I am one who learned the hard way on a Beneteau charter!

May 17, 2004
Stu is right of course. Just to clarify my guidance above for any future passers-by of the thread - my recommendation to turn all switches on was meant as a probable most effective starting point to get the engine running. Beyond that one goal there are lots more considerations about how the switches should be set and how the wiring could be reconfigured.

Aug 13, 2021
The pictures are a good help. Everyone has given me an answer to get me going in the right direction. My stress level is going down also. So the little red handle to the right of the two big red and one black is for the windless?
One day on the forum and I know more than I hoped. Thanks to everyone who offered good advice.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Regarding stress in buying your first boat - yes, it's normal.
When I bought my first keelboat, which I paid $4,000 hard saved dollars for, I really couldn't think straight since I had so many unresolved issues. After paying cash for it we started the outboard engine and headed out to deliver it to home. Fortunately I had an experienced friend with me. Within a mile of the harbor we were leaving the motor stalled. We quickly saw that the prop was fouled with an enormous plastic sheet. Quick get the sail up! Then find the key to unlock the motor anti-theft device to remove the motor. It was about then that the thunder storm hit. Clawing off a lee shore, with a not completely raised main and trying each of about 20 rusty keys, while experiencing cloud to ground lighting strike in torrential rain, is not the way to start boat ownership. But by the end of the day we were enjoying ourselves and my new to me boat.
I always advise new boat owners to take someone experienced with them for the first sail.

Aug 13, 2021
This my fourth sail boat, a 25' and two 30'ers. We have been out of sailing for 6yrs due to a brutal mva.

This boat has a lot of bells and whistles, where the others were goodboats just basic, very basic.

I feel like the 12v panel belongs on the space shuttle. Time and good answers on this page seems like the best stress relief.

The cost of this boat would have bought five of my last boat and it is 6' longer.

Also,We are Chesapeake Bay sailors, add in learning a whole new sailing area.

We ave spoken with a local captain about going outwith us the first couple of times. Good advice. Experience and local knowledge Priceless!