Great Salt Lake Fables

Oct 4, 2007
Oday 28 Great Salt Lake Marina
My Oday 28 is on the Great Salt Lake in Utah. It is a fickle lake with heavy salt water that some years floods the shores, and years later reaches a historical low. This year we have been able to sail without a problem, until last week. Over the last few years my sailing season has been cut short in the fall as the lake reaches its low for the year. Problem is the mouth of the marina. It's the shallow point of the lake, sounding at 3 feet last week. We took the dinner boat out and anchored it in the middle of the channel and gave it hell, and blew out as much of the bottom as would move. That made a nice 6ft deep channel, but when you pop over the edge of the channel it has built up a ridge and I ground hard. So I am trapped in the marina.
Some of the old salts at the marina have talked about low water years, and how they would "heel" the boat over to buy some space to slip out of the marina. When I asked how this was accomplished, they would tell me of putting 3 crew members on the boom, swinging it out to heel the boat and slip through. On the face of it I believe the story, but some stories are embellished just a little bit.
So my question is:
Can you heel a boat over far enough with the boom and crew/waterbag/weights to buy a foot of draft?
How much weight do you think a boom can handle before it causes damage?
My Oday 28 drafts 4' 3" and is a fixed keel.
If this could work I may be able to extend my sailing season a couple of months. If not I may have to buy a laser or a catamaran as a second boat to feed my sailing addiction.
I would appreciate any of your thoughts or input BEFORE I go on this grand experiment.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I believe it is called Careening. There are various methods, swinging the boom out and placing weight (crew, barrels of water, etc.), are methods used. It is often used by sailboats to clear low bridges or other obstructions.

Good luck

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Heeling the boat will work, unless you have a wing keel. With a wing keel, as the boat heels the wings go deeper.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
This was done to get 80' of mast under a 65' bridge. What do you think his water draft did?

Oct 4, 2007
Oday 28 Great Salt Lake Marina
Now that was cool! Holy crap they got some heel on that boat! So now having seen that, using the halyard and a control sheet on the water sack would give you a bunch more control on the angle. Thanks a bunch! I think this will work. I am not a wing keel and my water intake for the diesel is port side but close to the center line so that should be no problem. Probably bought more than a foot on the draft. LET THE EXPERIMENT BEGIN!!
Thanks again that was awesome. And if a picture is worth a thousand words that was worth 100,000 words.