Great mast raising system

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
My friends O'Day 23 "came with " a great mast raising system. A second, smaller tabernacle was permanently mounted in front of the mast base/tabernacle. A steel jin pole then fits into this tabernacle. Up comes the mast.

Hersh

Attachments

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Yes, a gin-pole is great system.
It has the advantage of being able to simply lift the mast up using the trailer winch.
However...

It requires either somebody or something to stabilize the mast laterally while raising & lowering.
Once the mast gets close to vertical, the shrouds will pull the mast centered.
But if you are stepping in any kind of wind, be very careful!!! ...or have help.
...if the mast gets away from you laterally, you will damage the mast step and/or coach roof.

In this photo, you can see he has tied a couple of lines on either side of the mast to keep it centered while lifting.
These lines need to be tied in the same plane and near the same pivot axis as the mast pivot in order to be effective...

...but if you do that, it works fine.

Most of you have seen my A-frame system...

A-Frame

...this has two very important advantages...

1. The A-frame keeps the point of pull at the apex centered above the boat.
-This point of pull remains high above the mast during the critical phase while the mast is low.

2. I have the working end of the line coming to me directly from the mast bale (spreader bracket)
-This gives me direct control over the mast position laterally, allowing me to easily keep it centered during the lift.

At the 2:00 minute mark, you can see that I have enough control to gently lay the mast into the roller on the transom.

Many ways to skin the ol' cat!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I'll second the A-frame lifting system... I use the mainsheet or the vang purchase to raise/lower my mast. My A Frame is fixed, so that I can stand at the tabernacle and raise the mast 1 handed (yes 1 handed), and steer the mast with the other if need be. This has been a safe and easy way to raise the mast on the Capri 22 at 50lbs, the Capri 25 at 75lbs (same weight as the Capri 22 tall), and now the S2 7.9 at 95 lbs. lemme tell you the S2 7.9 is about the max limit of this A-frame, mostly because the spinnaker ring is very low on the S2.

Capri 22

Capri 25

S2

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
A FRAME without a doubt. As I posted earlier, I pirated the Aviator James version and made a couple of small tweeks to benefit my needs. Raising and lower the mast is now a simple single handed task I no longer fret over. Originally I built a gin pole rig and it too worked well with the exception of control over the mast position relative to the center line of the boat. Adding side stabilizers to the gin pole rig did help but are a task to get attachment at the exact point on either side as well as equal tension. Consider these to be an aid only and not a solution, unless they are perfect.

Every year I get asked if I need any help once the frame is in place and ready to raise or lower the mast. No thanks, I got it and they stand back and watch. MY set up, OK AJ's set up has now been replicated a few more times in the yard.

Off to the boat,
Curt

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Good to hear, Curt.
I get the same thing; people are always amazed at how easy it is.
...as it should be!

Aug 6, 2015
Gents,
This thread and the ease of mast lowering/raising with some simple gear has really sparked my interest in a CatCapri 22.
The seller's tale of how it takes 3 strong men to get his mast up gave me pause, but the systems y'all have come up with
have put a whole new light on the flexibility of the boat for cruising some of the canals around here, the NorthEast.
See my post "To Buy or not to Buy". Any and all input appreciated.
Cheers,
R*2

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
The Capri 22 mast is a piece of cake. Tall or regular.

I raise the telephone pole on my S2 myself, and it's easily twice as heavy, and at least a foot longer than the tall Capri 22 mast.

A-frame and use the mainsheet tackle, or vang tackle and it's so easy even a child can do it. Best part is you can stop halfway through, and take a minute to free lines, or shrouds.