Great Lakes to Gulf Via Miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2004
Hunter 386 New Smyrna Beach, Fl.
Anyone have any info on the route from Lake Mi. to the Gulf, via the Mississippi. Appreciate any feedback, if you have taken the trip, or can direct me to info on the trip. My boat is a Catalina Morgan 440.
Thanks!

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs
There's a smaller waterway that is very transient friendly: Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway. It's also less dangerous as it lacks the torrential currents and massive barge traffic.

Link

I'm from Columbus MS, so I think it's a great way to see different parts of the country. Perhaps there are others on this forum that have first-hand experience with the Mighty Mississippi, and the Tenn-Tom Waterway.

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
Do NOT try it on the MS river. I have traveld from Cairo,IL all the way to the gulf pushing barges and the river can have curent speeds of 6 MPH or better with rock reventments on both sides of river. Alos there are Few if any fuel stops and places to anchor SAFELY. The tenn tom would be my only choice on the inside . All you have to do there is watch your bridge height / lower mast and monitor vhf ch 16 relientlessly to talk to the tug captains. WE really don't bite..

Also the scenery is beautifull through Ky. ANd TN.

Safe journey and fair winds

Captain Charles Creel
www.sailingmobile.com

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Yes, Tom-Bigby is pretty cool but you will have to drop your mast and motor the whole way.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
and during the winter, plan on only 60 statue miles a day (their charts are not by nautical miles)

Oct 8, 2008
catalina 36 Whitehall
I have to agree with Captain Charles Creel on going down the Miss. With currents that strong, one has to go even faster then the current to keep steerage of his vessel at all times. If something happens at that speed with the current, one is going to have a lot of trouble.
Randy

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs
Glad to hear so many cruisers consider the Tenn-Tom the way to go!

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
it's a good bit more than strong currents.... than when the water is "down" and there is not a lot of junk in it....

I've seen 70' trees going downriver in Cairo - just get sucked under.... there in the water going VERY fast one moment... gone the next...just lots of boiling whirlpools and eddies... You REALLY have to pick the right time to go....

-jr

Nov 18, 2006
Kirie Elite Elite 37 Moss Point MS
Friend of mine just completed the Big Loop in his 37 Morgan center cockpit and he did NOT have to lower his mast in the Tenn-Tom. However he said he will never ever get in the Mississippi River again with anything under 50 feet and with at least two engines and a second crew. He tells of many times when he did find a suitable place to tuck in and drop anchor for some rest, by the time he saw it, it was too late and his Perkins diesel didn't have the umph to get him back to it.

Jun 4, 2004
Kokomo Beach
About 10-years ago I transited the Tenn-Tom, mast up, from it's head at the AL/MS/TN line, all the way to Mobile AL. Mast head was 32.5 ft., plus another 3' for VHF antenna. (Actually I did the entire run from Channohan IL (Joliet) mast up. That includes the Illinois, Upper Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland, and Tennessee Rivers.)

For all the reasons cited by others, don't even think about cruising on the lower Mississippi (that is, from Cario IL south).

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Total agreement

I am in total agreement with those who advise against it. I have only been in the river one time on a sailboat. And for a very short distance. But that was one time too many. I was running downstream, looking for my exit into the ICW. Radio calls and tells me there is a tanker coming up behind me, get out of the way. My choices were somewhat limited, as I was afraid if I missed the turn off channel, I wouldn't be able to get back upstream to it. The tanker was coming fast, and around a bend, taking up most of the river. I pulled in behind some tied up barges, somewhat out of the current, and hung on the prop till the tanker was clear. I can not imagine running any distance in the river, especially after dark.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
If I'm not mistaken, his mast is over 60' high. No way in ___ will he make it down the Tom-Biggy with that up. I went down with a 48' masthead and was worried about a couple of bridges. They were rated at 52' I believe but they seemed lower then that.

Status
Not open for further replies.