Great Lakes Maiden Voyage Help

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
@Scott T-Bird thanks for clarifying Washington Island, WI. I don't know that area, so no idea on the anchorage potential.

Rather than 75NM from Beaver to Washington, why not go south along Michigan's shore to Frankfurt? Looks like ~50NM from Beaver to Frankfurt, then about 50NM from Frankfurt to Sturgeon Bay.

Depending on confidence built or troubles encountered on the way, Frankfurt would also allow @Dustin7 to consider hiring a captain for the open-water crossing, or at least arrange extra experience to join him.
Yes, that is a very rational option! It could even save a day if he skipped Beaver Island and headed directly down the east side of the lake from Mack City. I do like the idea of visiting Beaver Island, though.

May 23, 2022
Hunter 27 Sturgeon Bay
Don't miss the opportunity! I'm excited for you so I laid out an itinerary. Based on 2 days to get to Blue Water Bridge, you will need to be on the move for at least 12 days altogether. If you take 4 days for sight-seeing or weather windows, you will need 16 days. That doesn't count your preparation time, which could easily be 2 to 3 days, particularly since you say you are a bit inexperienced.

@duck21 had a remarkably similar trip with some differences that I will note. They travelled up the east side of Lake Michigan and the prevailing winds meant that he had a long fetch for wind-driven waves. Your safest bet by far is to travel up the west side of Lake Huron. If you stay close enough to shore, you probably will have a short fetch for waves with prevailing SW winds. I would leave as late in June as you can muster. As said, the water temp means cold air.

Here's your best bet for stops:
Blue Water Bridge to Port Sanilac 30 miles
then Harbor Beach 30 miles
then Port Austin 30 miles
then Harrisville 45 miles (first stretch across "open water")
then Presque Isle 50 miles
then Cheboygan 55 miles
then Mackinaw City 15 miles
then Beaver Island 40 miles
then Washington Harbor 75 miles
finally Sturgeon Bay 50 miles

If you can't take that time, then better off hauling overland. I agree .... don't bother trying for Mack Island marina. You'll love Mackinaw City. even more. Take the ferry to the Island, it'll be much easier and you won't miss anything. 50 to 75 mile days will be pretty long, so don't over estimate your daily mileage. Get into the swing of things early and easy does it.

Consider that your boat is small and lacking experience, don't push it. I think prevailing winds from SW will be a blessing on this trip! I'd love to make that trip but honestly, I'd need to do it in a more comfortable boat. I'm suspecting you are young and tough so the Hunter 27 will be fine. Assuming it is in good shape for a 2005 model with 18 Yanmar(?) you should have no problem making 50 miles in about 8 to 9 hours.

I think if you take the easy way out (overland) and don't take this epic travel adventure, you will regret it. Don't miss it!
This is great, I really appreciate
I like the easy trip from Mackinaw City to Beaver Island (easy in length - but make sure the weather is favorable as it could be a long stretch of heavy weather if you have a SW blow). Beaver Island would be a fantastic stop over. The northern end of Lake Michigan is rather devoid of safe harbors, so it would seem that you need to make the jump to Door County from Beaver Island. Manistique would be closer but it is out of the way. So the first logical stop would be Washington Island. Not noting any protected harbors on the east side, Washington Harbor (not a marina - an anchorage) looks like a beautiful safe harbor - protected on all sides except open to the north. If you have a north wind blowing on that leg, it would make sense to run for the south end of the island. Hopefully, somebody has local knowledge of Washington Island for better guidance, but that would be my target from Beaver Island.

I assume that @Dustin7 has local knowledge in Door County. I know that Fish Creek is a hugely popular destination and not to be missed if you are traveling through. But if Dustin's destination is Sturgeon Bay, Fish Creek is going to be within his local cruising grounds so by that time, it's time to get home probably! :cool:

From Beaver Island, Dustin could stay in Lake Michigan and make Bailey's Harbor but that is about 100 miles, which might be a little long. But it wouldn't be bad way to go with favorable conditions. To get into Sturgeon Bay, that's a trip through the canal. I would probably head for the Green Bay side of Door County.
Thanks, I havent decided whether to take the Green Bay side of the Lake michigan side back to Stugeon bay. Prefer to come in from Lake Michigan but planning on leaving it up to the wind and water conditions.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
met up with dustin today at his boat here in toledo. what a sweet find. ultra clean. a very nice design.
dustin is a very nice guy. i liked him. we talk about the delivery between my home town of toledo and my home town of sturgeon bay. i suggested sailing by weather cycles, not day/night cycles. that's just me. talked running the rivers. talked sailing the lakes.
he has some people lined up. i also hooked him up with a crew member of mine that is very skilled. might work out.

the boat is in top condition from what i could see. one owner boat.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
So much good info already - I’ll just make a few short points from our 22 years sailing our ‘77 h27 on Lakes Erie, St. Clair, and Huron:
- Your 2005 h27 is a great boat for this trip - go for it!
- with an 18 horse engine, I’d be comfortable planning 5-5.5 knots sailing or motor-sailing.
- as already mentioned, the prevailing winds are SW, ideal for this trip until the Beaver Island to Green Bay leg. I’d handle that by waiting for a calm, or wind north of west to make it.

Bon voyage!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
A couple more possible stops on your trip. Presque Isle has already been mentioned. The anchorage area there is nice. Just drop the hook near where the anchorage is located in navionics (active captain). If you need a place to anchor before you make it up quite that far, False Presque Island has a nice spot to anchor. Again find it in Navionics. Also, if you need a spot to anchor not far from the Mackinac bridge, and the weather is good, St. Helena Island has a nice spot on the north side. If the lighthouse people are there, you can dinghy around to the lighthouse on the other side of the island and get a tour. Great people there. Beaver Island has a great anchorage, as well.

One other warning about Lake St. Clair. Make sure your travel plans don't coincide with the Jobbie Nooner weekend. That is a real sh*tfest and will likely make you hate Lake St. Clair long before you manage to get out of it.

Mar 10, 2008
Hunter 27_1984 gibraltar MI
We are heading that way the first week of July if you want to tag along. we are on a 4 to 6 week vacation so no hurry to get anywhere.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
Good Luck! Exciting month to be on Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.

BYC Mackinac Race starts in Port Huron on the 16th, 179-ish boats heading up Lake Huron. Expect Mackinac Island and Mack City (Straits Harbor) to be busy 17-20th... and CYC Race to Mackinac will have 200+ sailboats going up Lake Michigan from Chicago on the 23rd... lots of sailboats racing/moving around Michigan this month!

Port Huron will be packed the 13-16th... so don't expect slips there in that range either.

Final note, some state harbors may have limited hours for certain services... saw this in a BYC Mack update:

"Straits Harbor Fuel Dock
The DNR has asked us to inform our competitors that the Straits Harbor Fuel Dock will only be open from 9 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 3 p.m. due to staffing shortages. "

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
He is off and running. was up in detroit last evening. today, 15-18 winds from the w n/w. that's abeam reach all the way to huron. prolly got to sail the whole way up. more good weather tomorrow i'm thinking.

sw winds at 12 to 14 going up the lake tomorrow. high 80 on shore

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I hope these photos are just a teaser! We want details! Give us a full report of all the good, the bad, and the fantastic! :thumbup:

Nov 23, 2022
jeanneau 389 Toronto
I’ve made the trip up Lake Michigan across Huron to Honey Harbour Ontario delivering my own boat twice. Michigan ports are awesome. The SeaRay dealer in Holland saved our boat some pain. Both were power boats. Then I delivered my own sailboat 12 years later. Was totally intimidated and talked a real sailor to come with us. Glad I did.
I read the entire thread you had a great team here. Thanks for sharing