Great Lakes Maiden Voyage Help

May 23, 2022
Hunter 27 Sturgeon Bay
Hello all.
I recently purchased a Hunter 27 roughly 450 nautical miles from where her future home is. I have figured out ground transportation but I'd rather not let her see that many hwy miles so I'm kicking around the idea of motoring and sailing her back. The trip will require crossing Lake Saint Claire, Huron, and the upper portion of Lake Michigan landing in Door County, WI. I'm looking to start this voyage between the middle of June and beginning of July.

I'm quite green when it comes to sailing so I'm looking for a more experienced partner.

If interested in all or a portion of this journey please contact me at 970-393-1259 to discuss the boat, compensation, and duration of travel.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
We were in similar situation in 2020, we bought a Legend 37 in Door County/Sturgeon Bay, WI and brought it back to Clinton River at northern end of Lake St. Clair.

As for the coast around Michigan, if you aren’t familiar, MI has a great network of State Harbors along its entire shoreline. There’s one basically every 20-30 miles. You can find information/reservations on the MI DNR website, and see the amenities at each. You can use that to plan your fuel stops/etc.

MI is usually doing projects and upgrades at the Harbors so be prepared fuel/pump-outs/electricity may be temporarily unavailable at some places. Ask this when you call each to confirm opening dates as you get closer to your trip.

We made our trip in a sprint, so no sight-seeing stops, but I regret we didn’t take a walk on Beaver Island and explore the town a little. But with COVID that year, wasn’t the time for it.

Stopping at Mackinac Island would be a good place to spend a little time off the boat, but in 2020 they didn’t have power at the docks due to water levels, so check that, but I think that's fixed now. Mack City has a great State Harbor as well, might be a more logical option.

Going under the bridge is always a great experience.

I mentioned we made the trip in a sprint, we left Sturgeon Bay at 5:00am, and tied-up at Beaver Island just after dark, so 9pm-ish, covering 101NM. That was a long day, and required a long diagonal crossing of Lake Michigan. Give the most thought to that part of your trip. You could go further south to Frankfurt, MI and cut the crossing to ~45NM, just adds extra miles.

Enjoy you’re trip if you decide to go by water instead of land. My best advise is be prepared to be flexible.

Also, consider what spares are on the boat, and what you should bring along to supplement. My previous owner was great about confirming if there were spare impellers/fuel filters/oil/hoses/belts/etc. If not, plan to get the right ones and have them just-in-case. (We didn’t need them, but I like to think that is because we had them)!

Same goes for safety gear, dock-lines, fenders, etc. And think about communication for the crossing of the lake... we rented a Garmin InReach to allow family to track-us real-time, and send text messages from anywhere in the Lake. And we had an EPIRB for the boat as well, but having the Satellite Texting was nice to have a non-emergency way to check-in.

Just be realistic about the size/condition of the boat, and your ability to fix/trouble-shoot on the fly in open-water.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Hello all.
I recently purchased a boat roughly 450 nautical miles from where her future home is. I have figured out ground transportation but I'd rather not let her see that many hwy miles so I'm kicking around the idea of motoring and sailing her back. The trip will require crossing Lake Saint Claire, Huron, and the upper portion of Lake Michigan landing in Door County, WI.

I'm quite green when it comes to sailing so I'm looking for a more experienced partner.

If interested in all our a portion of this journey please contact me at 970-393-1259 to discuss compensation and duration of travel.
A lot more info on the boat, condition, motor, tankage, condition of sails, starting point and ending point - and the dates you are interested in doing this would help at least some of us to get a better idea of possibly helping. Photos would also be beneficial.

dj

May 23, 2022
Hunter 27 Sturgeon Bay
We were in similar situation in 2020, we bought a Legend 37 in Door County/Sturgeon Bay, WI and brought it back to Clinton River at northern end of Lake St. Clair.

As for the coast around Michigan, if you aren’t familiar, MI has a great network of State Harbors along its entire shoreline. There’s one basically every 20-30 miles. You can find information/reservations on the MI DNR website, and see the amenities at each. You can use that to plan your fuel stops/etc.

MI is usually doing projects and upgrades at the Harbors so be prepared fuel/pump-outs/electricity may be temporarily unavailable at some places. Ask this when you call each to confirm opening dates as you get closer to your trip.

We made our trip in a sprint, so no sight-seeing stops, but I regret we didn’t take a walk on Beaver Island and explore the town a little. But with COVID that year, wasn’t the time for it.

Stopping at Mackinac Island would be a good place to spend a little time off the boat, but in 2020 they didn’t have power at the docks due to water levels, so check that, but I think that's fixed now. Mack City has a great State Harbor as well, might be a more logical option.

Going under the bridge is always a great experience.

I mentioned we made the trip in a sprint, we left Sturgeon Bay at 5:00am, and tied-up at Beaver Island just after dark, so 9pm-ish, covering 101NM. That was a long day, and required a long diagonal crossing of Lake Michigan. Give the most thought to that part of your trip. You could go further south to Frankfurt, MI and cut the crossing to ~45NM, just adds extra miles.

Enjoy you’re trip if you decide to go by water instead of land. My best advise is be prepared to be flexible.

Also, consider what spares are on the boat, and what you should bring along to supplement. My previous owner was great about confirming if there were spare impellers/fuel filters/oil/hoses/belts/etc. If not, plan to get the right ones and have them just-in-case. (We didn’t need them, but I like to think that is because we had them)!

Same goes for safety gear, dock-lines, fenders, etc. And think about communication for the crossing of the lake... we rented a Garmin InReach to allow family to track-us real-time, and send text messages from anywhere in the Lake. And we had an EPIRB for the boat as well, but having the Satellite Texting was nice to have a non-emergency way to check-in.

Just be realistic about the size/condition of the boat, and your ability to fix/trouble-shoot on the fly in open-water.
Thank you for this information. Sturgeon Bay to Beaver in one day is quite impressive!

May 9, 2020
Sturgeon Bay to Beaver in one day is quite impressive!
It was a poke, with big rollers from the stern-quarter as we came across Lake Michigan... the autohelm couldn't handle. Was a long day of hand steering.

But with the wife at home with 2-under-2 and another on the way, it was best to hurry! :)

May 9, 2020
Hunter 27
What year H27... there have been several generations in the 70's, 90's and 00's?

Your motoring speed will be less than our HL37, so imagine averaging >5.2-5.5kts might be difficult.

Although such a trip is a lot of fun to me, for the size boat, I'd think about trucking as the prime path.

This time of year in the Great Lakes there are lots of H27 size trailers sitting empty for the summer... see if you can network to find one to rent/burrow. Either tow yourself, or find someone to pull it. Just a thought.

May 23, 2022
Hunter 27 Sturgeon Bay
It's a 2005. Trailering would definitely be easier and it's still in the cards, I'd just hate to miss the to opportunity.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
It will be a great trip. You may want to find a more experienced friend to help you. As others mentioned, Michigan has a great network of harbors of refuge and state pricing controlled marinas. Pricing is reasonable for slips.

You should be able to make it across Lake St Clair and up to Port Huron in one longish day. Pick up a slip at the town marina. Your biggest challenge (other than weather) might be to get that boat through the current at the Bluewater Bridge. Hug the Canadian shore there (as close as you can) and you'll find a counter current which will give you good speed up to the bridge. Stay close to the Canadian shore right through the bridge and you should make it without issues, though it will be very slow going toward the end.

My advice would be to take enough time to make a fun trip out of it. Make lots of stops and explore the towns on the way. Stop over at Mackinac Island, if you've never been. Call ahead as slips are in high demand there. You can arrange slips via Michigan's online booking service, but it's hard to plan that far ahead when you're cruising. Try not to have a schedule that will make you take unnecessary chances. Be prepared to get stuck at a town for a couple of days, if there's a blow. We head up that way from Lake Erie each summer, and it's a fun trip. Just make sure you have the essentials...good depth sounder, chart plotter and /or Navionics subscription, radio, access to good weather info (I like Predict Wind, My Radar, Weather Underground, Windy), safety gear (personally, I rig jack lines, but mainly cause I'm a klutz, though they have helped on more than one occasion), and spare filters and spare impeller. And take very seriously, the marine forecasts. If they say there's a chance of thunderstorms, you can count on it. Wave heights are often higher than forecast so take that into consideration when heading out each morning.

May 18, 2022
Precision Precision 18 Geneva
I did a round Michigan West to East in the 90s with a experienced captain 22’ sailboat. For the most part motor sailed. Remember a spot on Huron that had a reef/man made structure come up to 5’ water depth seemingly in middle-West shore of lake???
I would bring a appropriately sized sea-anchor (Para-Tech) or similar and know how to use it hove-to.
Give yourself at least @10miles Lee-shore between harbors on Michigan West coast.. Derrichos come up very quickly 50-90kt winds and while quite rare are no joke! Luckily they are short lived @20-30 minutes.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
A buddy of mine has a Hunter 27 at Lake St Clair. I don't remember the year of boat. He has a nice trailer. We picked it up in Pennsylvania and hauled it back to Texas. Then he moved to Michigan. He might be willing to assist you. I could ask?

Attachments

May 9, 2020
@sesmith has great advise on the St. Clair River at the Bluewater Bridge.

You should be able to make it across Lake St Clair and up to Port Huron in one longish day.
Depending on where you are starting... this will be a long day. Especially for your first day of the trip on a new boat. Plan 3hrs across LSC, and ~9+ hours going up the St Clair River to the Black River/Port Huron. Make sure you bring an extra fuel can on deck... once you enter the St Clair River there's really no good place for a sailboat to stop. Play the shores to get relief from the current, watch speed on your chart plotter to maximize SOG.

Pay attention near downtown St Clair for the shallow area!

instead of trying to do it in one day, maybe consider moving-up LSC to the lagoon at Metro Beach on the first day. There's a West Marine and other provision options near there, and Uber/Lyft in the area. If anything comes-up on day-1, you'd have the chance to address before getting into the river current. On day-2 you would jump into the Middle Channel and onto your way to PoHo via St Clair River. This would also give you more time with the boat before getting into the freighter traffic!

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi! We made a similar trip last year--we purchased a Hunter 376 in St Joseph, MI which we transported to Washburn, WI (the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior). We left on June 4th, the (approx 850 mile) journey took us 21 days. Our crew consisted of me, my wife, 17 year old grand daughter, 2 dogs, and a cat. I'm not as familiar with the areas you outlined, but I do have some thoughts about an extended trip on the great lakes.

We were/are semi experienced sailors. I grew up sailing in the Apostles and we owned a Catalina 30 for 5 years prior to the new boat. However, this adventure was our first experience with extended sailing on the open lakes.

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but the biggest challenge in preparing for the trip was that we lived 8 hours away from the boat. We made a number of longer trips (driving between Saint Paul and St. Joseph) in an effort to get our supplies to St. Joseph, get the boat rigged for a multi-week voyage, and to learn the existing systems.

Once the boat was ready and we departed we had a quick learning curve. Some quick thoughts:

I prepped by "mapping" our entire journey using Google Maps "measure distance" feature in satellite view. This helped find distance between marinas, estimate travel times, and help anticipate where we may stay (and options if we had to shorten a day due to issues). The plan actually ended up being quite accurate, as was my calculated travel time. I put all my info into a Google Sheet which I then printed to PDF before the trip (including marina phone numbers and alternates in the event that a marina was full).

We installed a radar, which was convenient, but we could have made the trip with out. However, we also added an AIS antenna and a Quark Elec AIS receiver with WiFi. We connected this to a tablet running OpenCPN. This set up added a lot of peace of mind when navigating around larger ships, both in decent weather and in the fog, which we did experience a number of times.

It pays to note that your journey may route you against the wind for the majority of the trip. Take this into account as you calculate your potential time between ports. While running at night is certainly doable, it can be a little nerve wracking if you are inexperienced (and can make docking a bit of an adventure).

We primarily stayed in marinas through out our trip. As was noted, Michigan has a great set of harbors and a fairly straightforward on-line system for booking slips. However, due to the schedule dependencies we found that calling the marina in the early afternoon was more effective than booking a day or two prior. Part of this choice (for us) was driven by our having a 6.5' deep keel, which sometimes limited slip options at the various marinas, so we wanted to call ahead and ensure that we would fit.

Someone mentioned Mackinac Island--we spent an extra day to tour/enjoy the island. However, we were very disappointed with the marina. It had an uncomfortable swell/wave action, the bathrooms were very, very dated, and it was one of the most expensive marinas on the trip. If we were to do it again we would stay in the Mackinac City Marina and take the ferry over to the island for a day trip. Mackinac City had a nice harbor, nice facilities, and definitely less expensive each night.

I'll second the notes about weather and waves. Lake Michigan can get quite choppy and can create quite an uncomfortable ride, especially if you are motoring into the wind. For our trip the majority of our time was either spent motoring in completely flat waters or into the waves. Of our 21 days we only ended up putting up sails maybe 2-3 times, we motored the rest of the time. Autopilot is a must. Listen to weather reports, have a plan in case the weather goes "bad," and don't take unnecessary risks beyond your comfort level.

Of course, stock up on spares (I brought two sets of fuel filters, two extra impellors, and a couple of belts. Twice waves stirred up gunk in our fuel tank, we ended up going through all of the fuel filters on our trip). Also, be sure that you have the tools needed for basic maintenance. With a 27' foot boat you may be somewhat limited, but if you need to change fuel filters you at least need the minimum to swap out the filters and bleed the system.

Finally, not sure when in the summer you are planning, but beware that Lake Michigan can still be quite chilly in June. We often left port in shorts (75F), motored in winter parkas, gloves, and winter hats (40F-45F, then quick stripped everything off as we rolled into our destination (80F-85F). Definitely weather whiplash.

Although the destinations are not specific to your journey the thread that I started last year for our trip may have some additional applicable tips for your journey.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's a 2005. Trailering would definitely be easier and it's still in the cards, I'd just hate to miss the to opportunity.
Don't miss the opportunity! I'm excited for you so I laid out an itinerary. Based on 2 days to get to Blue Water Bridge, you will need to be on the move for at least 12 days altogether. If you take 4 days for sight-seeing or weather windows, you will need 16 days. That doesn't count your preparation time, which could easily be 2 to 3 days, particularly since you say you are a bit inexperienced.

@duck21 had a remarkably similar trip with some differences that I will note. They travelled up the east side of Lake Michigan and the prevailing winds meant that he had a long fetch for wind-driven waves. Your safest bet by far is to travel up the west side of Lake Huron. If you stay close enough to shore, you probably will have a short fetch for waves with prevailing SW winds. I would leave as late in June as you can muster. As said, the water temp means cold air.

Here's your best bet for stops:
Blue Water Bridge to Port Sanilac 30 miles
then Harbor Beach 30 miles
then Port Austin 30 miles
then Harrisville 45 miles (first stretch across "open water")
then Presque Isle 50 miles
then Cheboygan 55 miles
then Mackinaw City 15 miles
then Beaver Island 40 miles
then Washington Harbor 75 miles
finally Sturgeon Bay 50 miles

If you can't take that time, then better off hauling overland. I agree .... don't bother trying for Mack Island marina. You'll love Mackinaw City. even more. Take the ferry to the Island, it'll be much easier and you won't miss anything. 50 to 75 mile days will be pretty long, so don't over estimate your daily mileage. Get into the swing of things early and easy does it.

Consider that your boat is small and lacking experience, don't push it. I think prevailing winds from SW will be a blessing on this trip! I'd love to make that trip but honestly, I'd need to do it in a more comfortable boat. I'm suspecting you are young and tough so the Hunter 27 will be fine. Assuming it is in good shape for a 2005 model with 18 Yanmar(?) you should have no problem making 50 miles in about 8 to 9 hours.

I think if you take the easy way out (overland) and don't take this epic travel adventure, you will regret it. Don't miss it!

Last edited:
May 9, 2020
@Scott T-Bird has a great start on an itinerary, but 3 thoughts:

1) averaging 5.5kts seems to be the most optimistic I'd budget, and really, expect some days to be less. You don't want to have to push the engine too hard before you even know it's habits. The whole trip will not be flat water... waves and windage will slow your average.

2) I'd really think about trying to make Rogers City, leave Harrisville at first light and make the 60NM. It would be a good 12-14hrs... but I think worth the extra ~3hrs past Presque Isle.

I don't think state has gotten a new restaurant in Presque Isle, so not much there besides a safe dock. Rogers City puts you walking distance to lots of options.

You could always divert to Presque Isle if weather/fatigue changed you plans. But making Rogers City would save you a day, could make Mack City from there.

For reference, we went Beaver Island to Rogers City in 1-day... with a midday stop at Mack City...it's possible in a faster boat, but I wouldn't recommend on your maiden voyage!

3) where is Washington Harbor? I'm not familiar, and my Google skills are coming-up without any logical results.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
3) where is Washington Harbor? I'm not familiar, and my Google skills are coming-up without any logical results.
I like the easy trip from Mackinaw City to Beaver Island (easy in length - but make sure the weather is favorable as it could be a long stretch of heavy weather if you have a SW blow). Beaver Island would be a fantastic stop over. The northern end of Lake Michigan is rather devoid of safe harbors, so it would seem that you need to make the jump to Door County from Beaver Island. Manistique would be closer but it is out of the way. So the first logical stop would be Washington Island. Not noting any protected harbors on the east side, Washington Harbor (not a marina - an anchorage) looks like a beautiful safe harbor - protected on all sides except open to the north. If you have a north wind blowing on that leg, it would make sense to run for the south end of the island. Hopefully, somebody has local knowledge of Washington Island for better guidance, but that would be my target from Beaver Island.

I assume that @Dustin7 has local knowledge in Door County. I know that Fish Creek is a hugely popular destination and not to be missed if you are traveling through. But if Dustin's destination is Sturgeon Bay, Fish Creek is going to be within his local cruising grounds so by that time, it's time to get home probably! :cool:

From Beaver Island, Dustin could stay in Lake Michigan and make Bailey's Harbor but that is about 100 miles, which might be a little long. But it wouldn't be bad way to go with favorable conditions. To get into Sturgeon Bay, that's a trip through the canal. I would probably head for the Green Bay side of Door County.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020
@Scott T-Bird thanks for clarifying Washington Island, WI. I don't know that area, so no idea on the anchorage potential.

Rather than 75NM from Beaver to Washington, why not go south along Michigan's shore to Frankfurt? Looks like ~50NM from Beaver to Frankfurt, then about 50NM from Frankfurt to Sturgeon Bay.

Depending on confidence built or troubles encountered on the way, Frankfurt would also allow @Dustin7 to consider hiring a captain for the open-water crossing, or at least arrange extra experience to join him.