great circle route

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Kiefer

Hello mates, Obcessively planning for eastern GCR trip to last about a year with a side trip to England (via air) and a passage across the Gulf Stream to Bimini. Seeking advice from anyone who has sailed all or part. Also need to focus on right boat. Have looked at Rhodes 22, Nimble Kodiak, Seaward 25, Com-Pac 23, Catalina 25, and now the Macgregor 26x. Initially Mac 25 (or Catalina) not on short list but my research says include them.... ANy others worth considering? Mostly single hand with wife along for about 3 months. Various friends/relatives at various intervals. No more than 4 people for no more than 1 week.... Biggest seas undoubtedly in Great Lakes and the Gulf Stream passage.... Otherwise lots of ICW and inland passages with trips up the historic rivers and the Chesapeake. Also need info on charts.... What say you good folk...... Kief

D

david lewis

Macgregor 26 for ocean passage???

if your serious about a small boat open ocean passage you should seriously think about what you will be sailing...also consider liability if you take on passengers. Most of the boats you mention are not what I'd call bluewater passagemakers. There are some in this size range however...like the Flicka small boat but very heavy and well built, also very expensive for the size. Tanya Abea (sp?) sailed around the world in a 26 but it was custom built and very rugged ( I saw the boat in Newport). Think about what you can encounter out there. Going offshore in a lightweigth boat with very fragile rigging like the Macgregor is pretty questionable behaviour.

R

Ray Bowles

Electric power and storage?

Dennis, Since we sail in a H26 on an inner waterway of 150 mile length we have found it a challange to load and store enough stores and gear for a 30 day venture without resupply. We also must manage our power very carefully just to maintain our modest electronics and lighting with the limited battery capacity of a small boat. A venture of your scope we would not attempt in any boat of less size than a 34' to 38'. Others have done it with less but their experence and courage is much greater than ours. (Courage was not the word we wanted to use here, just more approiate for public use). Also, what is your sailing experence? 4 people on a boat of these sizes, NO WAY. Sorry to deflate your venture, but we worry about the outcome under the conditions you mentioned. Ray & Reba

T

Thomas Ehmke

GCR through the great lakes???

Kind of an unusual, out-of-the-way route to sail a GCR through the great lakes. However,we're flattered to read that our seas are comparable to those of the Gulf Stream. Good luck!!!

T

Ted

GCR

If you are going to do it in a small boat, out of the ones mentioned I would choose the Seaward 25. The Flicka would be better yet or an old Pacific Seacraft 25. The Contessa 26 is what Tania used but way too small for more than one person. All in all I would advise a bigger boat and a lot more experience if you intend to go through with this. The Gulf Stream and Great Lakes are no picnic when they kick up. Don't give up the dream just refine it a bit. Good sailing

M

Melody Miller

Huhhhh?

Hi Dennis: Are you not wanting to live a long life or something? Get some experience crewing on an ocean passage. The Pineapple Cup, Ft Lauderdale to Montego Bay, and West Marine Carribbean Rally - Hampton Roads, VA to U.S. Virgin Islands are coming up in the next year. Boats will be needing crew. Contact www.Spinsheet.com for more info. Melody

R

R.W.Landau

Kief

I see now that you are not planning an ocean crossing, but a circle of inland and icw cruising. The Great circle route is normally a reference to an ocean passage. This is what probably brought most of the criticism. They recommend not less than 27" for the bimini crossing but 25's have done many ocean crossings in the passed. When my dad was cruising the islands south of Nassau, a 22' catalina was cruising with them . Abit slower but they had a great time along with the bigger boats that were cruising. Your trip sounds great though I think a boat a bit larger would be of more comfort. A diesel onboard would be nice for keeping batteries charged. keep planning and asking questions. r.w.landau

M

Miller

Leaving 5/1/01 on same trip in my O'Day 272

Have been planning and am in home stretch of GCR trip(with lots of side trips)...I will be heading north to Georgian Bay/North Channel and the like for the Summer...then back over to Chicago to work my way down the same route. As for baot selection...I feel very comfortable in my 272, but I may be a bit crazier than most. I would not want to me on Lake Michigan on anything smaller than mine for long periods unless you have luxury of waiting out the regular "chop" all along the East coast of Lake Michigan. enjoy your trip. Feel free to contact me, maybe we can share/trade some charts. ;)

B

Brian Jarchow

Have fun

First off, there are two different "great circle" routes. To boaters in the eatern US, it is a circle around the eastern US via the Erie canal or St. Laurence, Great Lakes, Mississippi river, Gulf or Mexico, and Atlantic or ICW. In the rest of the world a great circle route is a global circumnavigation. By your post I assume you mean circling the eastern US. Personally I don't like MacGregors, and like others have said, bigger is better. You will probably never go more than one or two days without the opportunity to buy more supplies so you won't need to worry about storing a lot of stuff, but you will be more comfortable with more room especially if seas kick up. In the size boats you are using be sure to wait for good weather before your longer crossings. You will really feel crowded with four adults aboard one of those boats. Before going, unless you already have experience, crew with people making ocean passages. Experience is one of the best things you can bring along on a passage, especially if the weather turns bad. Locks can be a real nightmare single handed. I don't think you will have to deal with any locks between fresh and salt water so that will make life easier, but still plan to have at least one crew onboard to assist. Most of all, have fun. And when on your trip post an occasional message telling us how it is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.