Gray Enterprises Portlight lens replacement H33C

Aug 14, 2022
Hunter 33 killingworth
I'm assuming that this is fairly straightforward, and I'm primarily talking about the larger ports. Open the window. Drive the pins out (does direction matter?). Align the new lens being careful to compress the opening spring slightly. Drive pins back in. Does this sound about right? I'm doing rehab to the worst ones in the house first but may end up doing the bulk of them.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Are the ports original? If so, the replacement lens sold today may not fit. If you haven't ordered them yet give us a call Monday and talk to Dave. 877-932-7245. He knows more about this than I do. :)

I believe the design of the ports changed a bit in the early 80s., IIRC.

Aug 14, 2022
Hunter 33 killingworth
They are original as far as I can tell. I already bought one replacement lens and it seems to be dimensionally correct although I didn't give it more than a cursory view.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A note on the pins.. Be extremely cautious removing and reinstalling the hinge pins. The little posts that the pin goes through get a bit brittle over the years and ya need to support the post when working the pins.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
A note on the pins.. Be extremely cautious removing and reinstalling the hinge pins. The little posts that the pin goes through get a bit brittle over the years and ya need to support the post when working the pins.
Yes, the posts do get brittle and also I found that the pins can be taped out easier from one side than the other. The pins have a knurling on one end and smooth on the other. Hard to see the knurling though.

Aug 14, 2022
Hunter 33 killingworth
As it turned out, the lens was a compatible replacement. Fairly easy job with the only hiccup being that the small center pin went flying and instead of dropping on the catch rag bounced off the sole of the head and warped into an alternate dimension. Otherwise easy-peasey.

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 33 (Cherubini) Poughkeepsie
Could you post the name of the supplier for the portlight lens, I need to replace one as well. Thank!